• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

language questions

Donna Rose

High Elder
Reaction score
i have a few questions for the greek speakers/studiers on the forum...

"polychronion" - what exactly does this word mean? i know what it refers to in the liturgy, and i know "poly" means more than one, and "chron" is like chronological...is this a fancy way of saying "many years"? and if so, is this word the way you wish someone "many years" in Greek? (this isnt something ive ever heard, which is why i am asking)

and also, i was wondering if any of y'all knew where such word-staples of the liturgy like "prokeimenon" "troparian" "kontakion" (and if i think of any others, i'll let you know) came from? well i know they COME from Greek, but broken down what do these words mean exactly? again, i know what they refer to in the liturgy, im just curious about etymologies and such :) thanx in advance

In Christ,
Donna Mary

TonyS

High Elder
Reaction score
Donna,

Christ is risen!

Perhaps this will help.

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/dictionary_terminology.htm#a

T