• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Laptop to Laptop Transfer

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
So, I need to move a bunch of church related files from my laptop to the laptop of a fellow servant who is taking over a role I used to play in church.  It is a lot of stuff.  PowerPoint presentations, audio files, video clips, entire books in PDF, etc.  Is there a cable I can connect from the USB port of one computer to the other and just slide it all over?  Or something else that wouldn't involve flash drives, email, or other arduous methods of transferring things a little at a time?

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
I would just prepare an external hard drive of your stuff ready for transfer.  That's the easiest way.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
minasoliman said:
I would just prepare an external hard drive of your stuff ready for transfer.  That's the easiest way.
And how exactly does one do that?  Forgive my ignorance of things technical please. :-[

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
How many gigabytes are you planning to transfer?

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
minasoliman said:
How many gigabytes are you planning to transfer?
I really have no clue.  So, an external HD is something I can buy and then simply drag and drop in mass quantities, right?

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Pretty much...but if you don't have that much you don't need to buy much either.

Is everything you want to transfer in one folder?  That makes it easier to know how much the size may be.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
minasoliman said:
Pretty much...but if you don't have that much you don't need to buy much either.

Is everything you want to transfer in one folder?  That makes it easier to know how much the size may be.
It is in three folders.  I think the external HD might be the best way to go.  It might also be good to keep one as a backup just in case.  Are they pretty much compatible with all laptop types?  And where do they plug in?

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Right click each of the folders and click on "properties" or "get info". This should tell you the size

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Oh wow...you don't need anything more than a small flash drive

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
It's possible to transfer files through wifi also. With less than 200 mb data, it's manageable

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You should be able to do this with a usb cable. I am pretty sure a simple search in google will give you the directions on how to do this. I used to do it with a cat5e (lan line) crossover cable, but I think it is a lot simpler with a usb line. Based on the 56 MB file, you should also be able to do it by email using a zip file program to get over any size limitations (dividing up a large file into smaller zip files (which are put back together later) if there is a size limitation for the email server).

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Remote Server Access

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Back in the day you could do this with a crossover cable. The present-day equivalent would be a wireless ad-hoc network. But I think you'll find a $10 thumb drive from Wal-mart does everything you need. Or just use Google Drive.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Why not to transfer the files to a cloud and then copy them to the another laptop? No cables, devices or other additional stuff needed. There's a few awailable for free. Dropbox, Google Drive at least and I assume has one too.

Google has pretty simple instructions to their service too:

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424384?hl=sv

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Transfer via cloud is okay I guess, if the other person also has an account with access to the particular cloud, and if wi-fi plays ball. Flash drives don't have such issues.