• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Last-minute politics overshadow historic pan-Orthodox council

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score

PARIS — A religious summit last held more than 1,200 years ago suddenly risks being downgraded or postponed because of Syria’s four-year civil war. This unexpected twist has come as the world’s Orthodox churches, the second-largest ecclesial family in Christianity, were supposed to be only months away from their first major council since 787.

Now it is no longer clear when or where the Holy and Great Council of the Orthodox Church, a summit first proposed at least as far back as 1961 and provisionally scheduled for May in Istanbul, will be held.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/last-minute-politics-overshadow-historic-pan-orthodox-council/2015/12/18/e9ef94d0-a5cf-11e5-8318-bd8caed8c588_story.html

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Seriously, if MP reuses to participate because of that reason that would be a shame.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
This article proves how Wikipedia can be a liability for reporters.

787?  What's planned is a far cry from an Ecumenical Council.  More like a tea party with a formally ambiguous statement at the end.

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
FatherGiryus said:

787?  What's planned is a far cry from an Ecumenical Council.  More like a tea party with a formally ambiguous statement at the end.
You would expect more from the Washington Post.......

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
If I was a Russian bishop, I'm not sure I would be wild about traveling to Turkey at this particular time. Can't they have it moved to another location somewhere within the EP's jurisdiction?

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Adela said:
FatherGiryus said:

Then why you posts articles you know that are flawed without any comments?

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
mike said:
Adela said:
FatherGiryus said:

Then why you posts articles you know that are flawed without any comments?
Because, it's important to see how you are portrayed in the mainstream media.  Posting an article here doesn't mean you are a co-author, or are a proponent of the views, necessarily.  Perhaps you should think a little more deeply.

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
FatherGiryus said:

The Ecumenical Patriarchate, headquarters of the loosely-tied Orthodox family, is based there, as is Orthodoxy’s spiritual leader Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I.  The plan was to hold the council in Hagia Irene, a church-turned-museum in the Topkapi Palace complex where the Council of Constantinople confirmed the Nicene Creed in 381.
That would be significant to have a council in the same church as the Council of Constantinople.  I noticed there are very comments on this article.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
FatherGiryus said:

I didn't see wikipedia mentioned (and before the internet, when reporters supposedly did that 'leg work' thing, they still weren't very accurate with stories on Orthodoxy); nor did I see it called an Ecumenical Council (it was called a major council, which, considering that most of Orthodoxy has no idea what this thing is, can't be nitpicked too much). I did see the article say that there are 300 million Orthodox and over 200 million of them are under the Russians, but then those two bits of absurdity being out there are more the fault of the religious bodies being discussed.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
If I was a Russian bishop, I'm not sure I would be wild about traveling to Turkey at this particular time. Can't they have it moved to another location somewhere within the EP's jurisdiction?
Isn't Western Europe under the EP's jurisdiction? I know that Finland is under the EP, and it seems like it'd be ideal in a number of ways (it's far away from the Middle East turmoil, borders Russia, but is under the EP, and it even has Orthodoxy as one of its two official religions). Council of Helsinki has a nice ring to it.

IreneOlinyk

High Elder
Reaction score
Minnesotan said:
TheTrisagion said:
Isn't Western Europe under the EP's jurisdiction? I know that Finland is under the EP, and it seems like it'd be ideal in a number of ways (it's far away from the Middle East turmoil, borders Russia, but is under the EP, and it even has Orthodoxy as one of its two official religions). Council of Helsinki has a nice ring to it.
Isn't the price of a hotel room in Helsinki quite steep compared to Turkey?  Does the Uusi Valaam monastery have the facilities to house that many guests for a Church Council?

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Move it to Thessaloniki. The Greek economy could use a boost of all those bishops coming in.  ;)

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Justin Kissel said:
I did see the article say that there are 300 million Orthodox and over 200 million of them are under the Russians, but then those two bits of absurdity being out there are more the fault of the religious bodies being discussed.
No matter how many of the Orthodox there are, 2/3 are indeed under the MP.

Minnesotan said:
Isn't Western Europe under the EP's jurisdiction?
Yes and no.

peacenprayer

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Honestly, shame on all of them. "We have to have it in Istanbul because nostalgia!" "We don't need to actually do anything! Having it would be symbolic!" They need to stop being children and do thier jobs. Grumble grumble...

Gunnarr

Archon
Reaction score
Why does it matter where it is held?

They do not have to be held in the first church's jurisdiction. If it cannot be held in Turkey, just hold it in Greece. Or hold it in Russia. Or hold it in... anywhere!

Agabus

The user formerly known as Agabus
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Gunnarr said:
Why does it matter where it is held?

They do not have to be held in the first church's jurisdiction. If it cannot be held in Turkey, just hold it in Greece. Or hold it in Russia. Or hold it in... anywhere!
Have it at St. Catherine's Monastery.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the South (OCA)
Adela said:

PARIS — A religious summit last held more than 1,200 years ago suddenly risks being downgraded or postponed because of Syria’s four-year civil war. This unexpected twist has come as the world’s Orthodox churches, the second-largest ecclesial family in Christianity, were supposed to be only months away from their first major council since 787.

Now it is no longer clear when or where the Holy and Great Council of the Orthodox Church, a summit first proposed at least as far back as 1961 and provisionally scheduled for May in Istanbul, will be held.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/last-minute-politics-overshadow-historic-pan-orthodox-council/2015/12/18/e9ef94d0-a5cf-11e5-8318-bd8caed8c588_story.html
Thank you for posting this insightful article. I thought it represented the state of Orthodoxy fairly, except for the obligatory, but highly inaccurate, inclusion of "The Ecumenical Patriarchate, headquarters of the loosely-tied Orthodox family, is based there, as is Orthodoxy’s spiritual leader Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I."

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Everyone just mail your rubberstamps to the Phanar and be done with it.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
OK, thread is starting to get a bit polemical, so it is locked for now and we can ventilate our spleens in one of the Moderated or Private Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.