• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Lectionary questions

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Happy Nativity, y'all,

So do any of you read the daily lectionary in your daily devotions?  I've recently started doing so, although I still read other parts of Scripture (I've recently started in Romans). 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I try to read them every day.  There are apps that make it very convenient to do so on your phone, along with info on the saints commemorated that each day.

Anna.T

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I used to, though I stopped because I was doing it via email and it caused a problem. I have an ap, and plan to start doing it again, though right now my disciplines are not "normal" because my husband is home visiting for a few days (not an excuse, I know).

eddybear

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Is there a standard Orthodox lectionary, or does each jurisdiction have its own? And where can I find one that I can actually follow? I've recently got an OSB and it has a lectionary at the back, but it relates the readings to festivals (e.g xth week after Pentecost) rather than actual dates, and I can't figure it out.

Tikhon29605

High Elder
Reaction score
Here is the Lectionary of the Orthodox Church in America (OCA) for every day in 2015: http://oca.org/readings/monthly/2015

Basically, all Orthodox lectionaries are pretty much the same, with a few slight variations between the Greek and Slavic recensions.  The OCA's lectionary is adapted from the Lectionary of the Russian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate).  The Orthodox lectionary originated at the Great Church of Hagia Sophia in Constantinople.

I hope this helps.

eddybear

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Tikhon29605 said:
Here is the Lectionary of the Orthodox Church in America (OCA) for every day in 2015: http://oca.org/readings/monthly/2015

Basically, all Orthodox lectionaries are pretty much the same, with a few slight variations between the Greek and Slavic recensions.  The OCA's lectionary is adapted from the Lectionary of the Russian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate).  The Orthodox lectionary originated at the Great Church of Hagia Sophia in Constantinople.

I hope this helps.
That's really helpful, thank you :)