Lesser-known Orthodox Apparitions of the Theotokos

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Joined
Apr 18, 2011
Messages
4,829
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
29
Does anyone else know of any?

The only one I'm aware of that seems to be virtually unspoken of is the apparition of the Theotokos to the prince Andrei Bogolyubsky in the 12th century. I've had an icon of it for a long time before learning that's what it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theotokos_of_Bogolyubovo
 

mabsoota

Archon
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
2,859
Reaction score
0
Points
0
this appearance was recognised by orthodox, catholics and also muslims.

http://www.stmaryztn.org/saintmary/en

it was in 1968, sadly i missed it, i am not that old!
but recently an friend from a muslim background was telling me that he was there and saw her too.
it made him think again about what he believed.

for many days, saint mary appeared, clothed in light over the church.
even this non religious travel website mentions it, as most people who were there, no matter what their religion saw it.
http://www.egypttravelsearch.net/church/Saint-Mary-Zeitoun.html

this is the official response from the church:
http://www.coptic.net/articles/ZaitounApparitionOfSaintMary.txt
quote:

"Since the evening of Tuesday April 2, 1968 (the 24th  of Bramhat, 1684 A.M.),
the apparitions of the Holy Virgin Saint  Mary, Mother of God, have continued
in her church in Zaitoun, Cairo. The  apparitions have been on several nights
and are continuing.
...
The church  confirmed the apparition  after  a thorough investigation  by the
Church Council  assigned by his Holiness Pope  Cyril (Kyrellos), who observed
the miracle as well.

Therefore,  the  Coptic  Orthodox Patriarchate declares  with  great joy and
humility  of the heart the confirmation  that the Holy  Virgin Mary appeared
clearly on several nights at different nights at different times, for periods
lasting on occasions more than 2 hours. the location of the church in Zaitoun
is on the path that the  Holy Family took when visiting  Egypt.  May God make
this miracle a symbol for peace in the  world, and a  blessing for our nation
as it has been prophesized: "Blessed is Egypt My people".


Saturday May 4, 1968

Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate"
 

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Joined
Apr 18, 2011
Messages
4,829
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
29
mabsoota said:
this appearance was recognised by orthodox, catholics and also muslims.

http://www.stmaryztn.org/saintmary/en

it was in 1968, sadly i missed it, i am not that old!
but recently an friend from a muslim background was telling me that he was there and saw her too.
it made him think again about what he believed.

for many days, saint mary appeared, clothed in light over the church.
even this non religious travel website mentions it, as most people who were there, no matter what their religion saw it.
http://www.egypttravelsearch.net/church/Saint-Mary-Zeitoun.html

this is the official response from the church:
http://www.coptic.net/articles/ZaitounApparitionOfSaintMary.txt
While I appreciate the links, Zeitun is a pretty well-known apparition. It comes up in most discussions after Guadalupe and Lourdes.
 

mabsoota

Archon
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
2,859
Reaction score
0
Points
0
so u are basically asking 'does anyone know of any apparitions that no-one knows about'?
;)
:)
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,208
Reaction score
87
Points
48
Age
41
In the early 10th century the Theotokos appeared in Constantinople...

According to Eastern Orthodox Sacred Tradition, the apparition of Mary the Theotokos occurred during the 10th century at the Blachernae church in Constantinople (modern-day Istanbul) where several of her relics (her robe, veil, and part of her belt) were kept. On Sunday, October 1 at four in the morning, St. Andrew the Blessed Fool-for-Christ, who was a Slav by birth, saw the dome of the church open and the Virgin Mary enter, moving in the air above him, glowing and surrounded by angels and saints. She knelt and prayed with tears for all faithful Christians in the world. The Virgin Mary asked Her Son, Jesus Christ, to accept the prayers of all the people entreating Him and looking for Her protection. Once Her prayer was completed, She walked to the altar and continued to pray. Afterwards, She spread Her veil over all the people in the church as a protection.

St Andrew turned to his disciple, St. Epiphanius, who was standing near him, and asked, "Do you see, brother, the Holy Theotokos, praying for all the world?" Epiphanius answered, "Yes, Holy Father, I see it and am amazed!"

An icon of the Virgin Mary praying, surrounded by people, was said to be kept in the Blachernae church. It is said to reproduce the events as St Andrew saw them that day.

-- Source
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Asteriktos said:
In the early 10th century the Theotokos appeared in Constantinople...

According to Eastern Orthodox Sacred Tradition, the apparition of Mary the Theotokos occurred during the 10th century at the Blachernae church in Constantinople (modern-day Istanbul) where several of her relics (her robe, veil, and part of her belt) were kept. On Sunday, October 1 at four in the morning, St. Andrew the Blessed Fool-for-Christ, who was a Slav by birth, saw the dome of the church open and the Virgin Mary enter, moving in the air above him, glowing and surrounded by angels and saints. She knelt and prayed with tears for all faithful Christians in the world. The Virgin Mary asked Her Son, Jesus Christ, to accept the prayers of all the people entreating Him and looking for Her protection. Once Her prayer was completed, She walked to the altar and continued to pray. Afterwards, She spread Her veil over all the people in the church as a protection.

St Andrew turned to his disciple, St. Epiphanius, who was standing near him, and asked, "Do you see, brother, the Holy Theotokos, praying for all the world?" Epiphanius answered, "Yes, Holy Father, I see it and am amazed!"

An icon of the Virgin Mary praying, surrounded by people, was said to be kept in the Blachernae church. It is said to reproduce the events as St Andrew saw them that day.

-- Source
... and this appearance by the Mother of God is hardly "lesser-known" - it is commemorated by all Orthodoxy as a high-ranking feast.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,208
Reaction score
87
Points
48
Age
41
Ask 100 Orthodox Christians if they know anything about it and tell me how many do. I bet less than 5 :)
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Asteriktos said:
Ask 100 Orthodox Christians if they know anything about it and tell me how many do. I bet less than 5 :)
Every Slav I know (and I know hundreds) regard Pokrov as an important and beloved feast. Every Slavic church I have set foot in has a large and prominent icon of the feast in full view. The Greeks tend to be a little more low-key about it, but they are in no way ignorant of the feast and what it is about. In their calendar, the feast is held on October 28, the second-ranked national holiday of Greece. Pretty difficult to miss it.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,208
Reaction score
87
Points
48
Age
41
LBK said:
Asteriktos said:
Ask 100 Orthodox Christians if they know anything about it and tell me how many do. I bet less than 5 :)
Every Slav I know (and I know hundreds) regard Pokrov as an important and beloved feast. Every Slavic church I have set foot in has a large and prominent icon of the feast in full view. The Greeks tend to be a little more low-key about it, but they are in no way ignorant of the feast and what it is about. In their calendar, the feast is held on October 28, the second-ranked national holiday of Greece. Pretty difficult to miss it.
This certainly differs from my experience, but I was apparently mistaken and apologize.
 

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
5,813
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I only know of the one I previously mentioned, but I doubt the incident made its way much past the monastery.  The only witness was one protestant seminary student.
 
Top