• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Let's play, guess the poster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The idea is to guess who I am pretending to be below:

A Catholic Poster said:
Blah blah blah something reasonable blah blah blah
LOL!

As you can see from this map of the Middle East or Mediterranean, I am very correct and you are obviously wrong.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
You may as well post the game board from Risk. Oh, and copy-paste a few pages of anything from Google Books that's in the public domain. That way, you won't get slammed for copyright violation. Post a picture from WWII or a parade during the Cold War. Then, refuse to admit you are wrong. That should do it.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't even understand the point of this thread. Are you trying to make fun of a particular poster? If so, why don't you do the honorable thing and laugh at him to his face? IMO, this act of lampooning him "behind his back"--on this forum, nothing is really behind his back--is cowardly and despicable, and I think you, WetCatechumen, owe that poster an apology.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
I don't even understand the point of this thread. Are you trying to make fun of a particular poster? If so, why don't you do the honorable thing and laugh at him to his face? IMO, this act of lampooning him "behind his back"--on this forum, nothing is really behind his back--is cowardly and despicable, and I think you, WetCatechumen, owe that poster an apology.
+1.  Man Up, WC.  ;)

Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
I don't intend for it to be behind his back. He should know very well that it refers to him.

This topic, of course, only fits in on this sub-forum, which is why I posted it here. I also think he owes everyone whose serious posts he has responded to with, "LOL!" an apology. I could easily find several examples of him doing that.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
WetCatechumen said:
PeterTheAleut said:
I don't intend for it to be behind his back. He should know very well that it refers to him.
Then don't you think you could address him directly rather than start a thread that looks only like an attempt to lampoon him?

WetCatechumen said:
This topic, of course, only fits in on this sub-forum, which is why I posted it here. I also think he owes everyone whose serious posts he has responded to with, "LOL!" an apology. I could easily find several examples of him doing that.
Yes, I know you could, because I know whom you're talking about. This thread you started does not impress me as the proper way to go about soliciting an apology from Isa. If you have a grievance against him, the first thing you need to do is confront him face-to-face (unless what he did to offend you was a violation of forum rules, in which case you need to report his offense to the moderators), NOT start a "fun" game to encourage others to join you in judging him.

JLatimer

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I actually think the idea of this thread would be fun if it weren't just about [one user's gripe with] Isa, but were expanded to include attempts at mimicking the style of any poster (all in good fun, of course).

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
All of the self-important condescension from the EO posters on this thread aside...

I think the OP is fantastic. I don't think that the EO posters understand that this is how guys make good natured jabs at one another, for behavior that becomes stereotypical of any given person.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Papist said:
All of the self-important condescension from the EO posters on this thread aside...

I think the OP is fantastic. I don't think that the EO posters understand that this is how guys make good natured jabs at one another, for behavior that becomes stereotypical of any given person.
But this is the Internet, where such attempts at humor don't communicate well. BTW, whether I'm EO, OO, RC, or whatever doesn't override the fact that I'm a guy who knows how we make good natured jabs at one another. Besides, just because it's "something guys do" doesn't make it right.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Papist said:

We all do this. In fact I going to make this point in this thread and just shrugged and got pulled into a long discussion at work.

Along the way, such "jabs" are great. I don't just jab, I uppercut.

But if you are going to bring it and make a thread to do it, at least make one person laugh.

The OP was the probably the worst possible attempt to lampoon Isa's posting style.

My problem with the post is that it was obvious, not clever, not funny, not cutting enough.

In short: weak sauce.

If you are going to bring it. Bring it. Otherwise just stay home.

Laeodicea and all that.

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
:( shoot was really hoping this would of been a new fun game ....oh well  such is life

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
I'll play along:

[quote author=RC poster]
RC's be all like:

EO posters be all like:
[quote author=EO poster]
Dude, knock it off, you're not helping your case.[/quote]

[quote author=RC poster]
ZOMG! OC.NET IS LIKE THIS WHEN IT COMES TO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH!

[/quote]

[/quote]

YEah, this is what "men" do.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
jewish voice said:
:( shoot was really hoping this would of been a new fun game ....oh well  such is life
I did too. I thought someone was gong to start making relatively obscure quotes of posts and have people try to guess the poster without using a search engine of course.

That would be fun.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Schultz said:
I'll play along:

[quote author=RC poster]
RC's be all like:

EO posters be all like:
[quote author=EO poster]
Dude, knock it off, you're not helping your case.
[quote author=RC poster]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice.

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
orthonorm said:
Schultz said:
I'll play along:

[quote author=RC poster]
RC's be all like:

EO posters be all like:
[quote author=EO poster]
Dude, knock it off, you're not helping your case.
[quote author=RC poster]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice.
[/quote]

Thank you.  It's really a trick question.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
jewish voice said:
:( shoot was really hoping this would of been a new fun game ....oh well  such is life
Greetings in that most wondrous Name of our Lord Jesus Christ!

Ok, I'll play with you.

(P.S. - I am NOT making fun of this poster (I like the fellow), it's just that I think we should start out easy since Isa's already been done.  I hope to see some of my catchphrases show up at some point...)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
vamrat said:
jewish voice said:
Greetings in that most wondrous Name of our Lord Jesus Christ!

Ok, I'll play with you.

(P.S. - I am NOT making fun of this poster (I like the fellow), it's just that I think we should start out easy since Isa's already been done.  I hope to see some of my catchphrases show up at some point...)
OK: rules.

The person to guess it. Has to offer the next "poster". And only them. So it doesn't become a free-for-all.

Our beloved Habte of course!

EDIT: Another rule, whoever guesses the answer correctly and offers the clue, must sit out the round after their "poster" has been correctly identified, this will stop it from just being two or three of us with nothing else better to do.

//:=)

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
^ Lol, vamrat! That's too easy.

I do a mean impression of myself, but that's about it.  8) I totally thought this thread was going to be a fun game like that. Oh, well.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
^ Lol, vamrat! That's too easy.

I do a mean impression of myself, but that's about it.  8) I totally thought this thread was going to be a fun game like that. Oh, well.
That's what we are doing now!  This will be a lot funner than just making fun of poor Isa (who am I kidding...poor Isa.  He's gonna come in here at some point with a diagram of why the OP was lametastic.)  Until then, looks like orthonorm is up!

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
If orthonorm's not so subtle edit is trying to imply that I'M next, we're going to be here for a long time because all I can think of are insulting ones. Haha.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
During my time spent in Japan as a Zen Roshi monkey-wrenching the Yakuza run corporations with the Wobblies, I learned a secret form of TWD only known to the most elite Korean Rabbis who eschew all carbs and live solely off the truly native diet of the first Korean peoples: organic grass-fed Bison massaged thrice daily by Russian Orthodox peasants.

EDIT: To Ismi, some of us can handle a little mocking, don't worry yourself.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
If orthonorm's not so subtle edit is trying to imply that I'M next, we're going to be here for a long time because all I can think of are insulting ones. Haha.
I have to edit my posts about as often as you (since I can't read them for crap with all the other lines of code in there).  

And I will add rule 3 - you can't make a self-impersonation.  Just in case the //;-=)  was the hint.

Edit: ^ - NM

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Another rule, as if it were not obvious, you can't do a poster who has already been done.

No piling on.

Plus it will make the creating and guess more difficult as we gets rid of those of us who so much stuff on here to make it easy.

Can't wait till after poster 20 or so.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Side game:

Guess the over / under on how many posts we get through before this gets locked.

lulz.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Question: Why do we need to wear crosses? Number one, crosses are usually worn as jewelry, which is pure vanity.

According to 1 Timothy 2:9, "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes."

So, crosses are usually gold and they can be expensive. Why can't we let our charity be our cross? Why do we need a physical symbol to show others our Christianity when we should be helping people 24/7? That second you spend putting on a cross, you could be adopting children from Mozambique.

People go to stores and purchase crosses when they could be using that money to feed the three people living outside on their doorstep. Plus how does wearing a cross help our faith at all? And usually the crosses are made out of gold. But even silver or pearl shouldn't be worn. It has no bearing to our salvation. I don't understand.

I don't want to make it look like I'm bashing Orthodoxy, I am really unsure about why this is permitted. Thanks.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Question: Why do we need to wear crosses? Number one, crosses are usually worn as jewelry, which is pure vanity.

According to 1 Timothy 2:9, "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes."

So, crosses are usually gold and they can be expensive. Why can't we let our charity be our cross? Why do we need a physical symbol to show others our Christianity when we should be helping people 24/7? That second you spend putting on a cross, you could be adopting children from Mozambique.

People go to stores and purchase crosses when they could be using that money to feed the three people living outside on their doorstep. Plus how does wearing a cross help our faith at all? And usually the crosses are made out of gold. But even silver or pearl shouldn't be worn. It has no bearing to our salvation. I don't understand.

I don't want to make it look like I'm bashing Orthodoxy, I am really unsure about why this is permitted. Thanks.
????????????????

You didn't guess the previous poster. You don't get make a post unless you correctly do so.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
BTW, I am up for the mocking of me, the way I type of my posts. I'd LOVE to read an impression of me, whoever is going next....

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Poster Ismiliora, you have broken the rules of this thread and are hereby put on warned status for the 15 days.  If you find this warning to be in error, please PM orthonorm

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Schultz said:
Poster Ismiliora, you have broken the rules of this thread and are hereby put on warned status for the 15 days.  If you find this warning to be in error, please PM orthonorm
This thread is getting awesomer than I thought.

To bad this wasn't an "impression".

lulz.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I had a heart attack!!  :laugh:

You are doing 3 or 4 different people, can't pick which one.  :police:

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:

It ain't "a poster!"* He didn't guess correctly yet!

Well not within the the confines of the game.

Schultz is meta.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Schultz said:
IsmiLiora said:

Both of my posts in this thread are trick questions. ;)
You beat me to it.

Over / under?

Status
Not open for further replies.