• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Let's start a "Miscellaneous" private forum

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
20
Points
38
Age
39
Location
PA, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Currently there are only three private fora, all of which are devoted to polemical topics. However, occasionally someone will want to discuss something with a wide group of OC.netters without exposing it to public searches. Reasons for this could include protecting the privacy/ feelings of people in one's personal life, getting feedback on pieces of writing intended for submission to publications, and detailed plans to eat everyone on OC.net without access to the private fora. Comment on this thread if you think there is a need for such a forum.
 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,330
Reaction score
18
Points
38
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
RaphaCam said:
Ditto! I'd only eat our newbies though.
Yeah, obviously. Old rooster makes the worst dumplings.
 

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
8,003
Reaction score
1,096
Points
113
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Agabus said:
RaphaCam said:
Ditto! I'd only eat our newbies though.
Yeah, obviously. Old rooster makes the worst dumplings.
It's all in how long you stew them.  ;)
 

Luke

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 5, 2008
Messages
7,967
Reaction score
432
Points
83
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Iconodule said:
Currently there are only three private fora, all of which are devoted to polemical topics. However, occasionally someone will want to discuss something with a wide group of OC.netters without exposing it to public searches. Reasons for this could include protecting the privacy/ feelings of people in one's personal life, getting feedback on pieces of writing intended for submission to publications, and detailed plans to eat everyone on OC.net without access to the private fora. Comment on this thread if you think there is a need for such a forum.
Good idea, except for the last part. :-X
 

Hinterlander

High Elder
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 21, 2012
Messages
862
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Iconodule said:
Currently there are only three private fora, all of which are devoted to polemical topics. However, occasionally someone will want to discuss something with a wide group of OC.netters without exposing it to public searches. Reasons for this could include protecting the privacy/ feelings of people in one's personal life, getting feedback on pieces of writing intended for submission to publications, and detailed plans to eat everyone on OC.net without access to the private fora. Comment on this thread if you think there is a need for such a forum.
I agree - I'd probably post here a lot more if such an outlet existed.
 

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
8,003
Reaction score
1,096
Points
113
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
The Cheers of OC.net?  :D
 

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Joined
May 2, 2015
Messages
2,553
Reaction score
59
Points
48
Location
North America
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
You should write to the Administrator, volunteer to moderate it. Or *whatever.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
22,143
Reaction score
381
Points
83
Age
41
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Hmmm.  I'm listening.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
22,143
Reaction score
381
Points
83
Age
41
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Did this idea die a natural death, or did the Forum Admin expressing mild interest in the discussion kill it?
 

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
8,003
Reaction score
1,096
Points
113
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I thought the silence was just because it was still in conceptual form and/or a general uncertainty of what the specific logistics might be.

It sort of seemed to me Iconodule was thinking of something along the lines of a simple "free for all" or "other topics" section, just in the private fora.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
20
Points
38
Age
39
Location
PA, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Basically. Nothing complicated. At least a few regular posters think the idea is worthwhile. I don't know anything about the logistics but I can't imagine it would be onerous to administer. You can call it the Miscellaneous forum, or something fancy like "The Trapeza" or "Geronda's Moldy Turkish Delight Stash".
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
40,135
Reaction score
612
Points
113
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Fr. George said:
Did this idea die a natural death, or did the Forum Admin expressing mild interest in the discussion kill it?
It sounds like a good idea, but I didn't chime in because I don't have access to the private forums, and I'm not sure it'd be good for my soul to go down that path again...  8) ;)
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
20
Points
38
Age
39
Location
PA, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Oh, trust me, nothing but soul profiting discourse down here *muffled cries of torment*
 

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
8,003
Reaction score
1,096
Points
113
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I mean I can seriously complicate the whole thing if y'all want, especially since I have absolutely no idea how forums actually work, code-wise.    But you could, for example, create essentially a second private forum that requires separate permission, for those who might not trust themselves with the politics portion of the current private fora.  Or do that with politics and have the miscellany be in with the other private fora.  But Iconodule's idea sounds easier.  :)
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
20
Points
38
Age
39
Location
PA, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
I think it would be fair to give people access to this hypothetical forum without exposing them to the insanity of the other private forums. Is that feasible?
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
10
Points
0
Age
36
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Only been on the Private Forum for a couple of days, but this sounds like a good idea to me, yeah.
 

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
8,003
Reaction score
1,096
Points
113
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Volnutt said:
Only been on the Private Forum for a couple of days, but this sounds like a good idea to me, yeah.
;)
 

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
5,557
Reaction score
260
Points
83
Location
wilderness
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
The bear comes out of the cave after winter. Say`s go for it!
 

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
4,455
Reaction score
202
Points
63
Age
70
Location
Oceanside, California
Iconodule said:
I think it would be fair to give people access to this hypothetical forum without exposing them to the insanity of the other private forums. Is that feasible?
That would be a necessity for me.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
22,143
Reaction score
381
Points
83
Age
41
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Iconodule said:
I think it would be fair to give people access to this hypothetical forum without exposing them to the insanity of the other private forums. Is that feasible?
Feasible, yes.
 

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 14, 2017
Messages
5,793
Reaction score
16
Points
0
Location
Alphaville Zone Sud
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
I think a private forum for advice and sensitive prayer requests, to which people would automatically get access, without automatically getting access to the conversational Coliseum of the polemical private forums, would be a very good thing.  Ideally a fully moderated forum.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
20
Points
38
Age
39
Location
PA, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Alpha60 said:
I think a private forum for advice and sensitive prayer requests, to which people would automatically get access, without automatically getting access to the conversational Coliseum of the polemical private forums, would be a very good thing.  Ideally a fully moderated forum.
I think it would be better for access to still be requested. What do others think?
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,417
Reaction score
289
Points
83
Age
40
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Iconodule said:
Alpha60 said:
I think a private forum for advice and sensitive prayer requests, to which people would automatically get access, without automatically getting access to the conversational Coliseum of the polemical private forums, would be a very good thing.  Ideally a fully moderated forum.
I think it would be better for access to still be requested. What do others think?
Yes.  The point of a private forum is that it’s private.
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
9,341
Reaction score
587
Points
113
Age
24
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Mor Ephrem said:
Iconodule said:
Alpha60 said:
I think a private forum for advice and sensitive prayer requests, to which people would automatically get access, without automatically getting access to the conversational Coliseum of the polemical private forums, would be a very good thing.  Ideally a fully moderated forum.
I think it would be better for access to still be requested. What do others think?
Yes.  The point of a private forum is that it’s private.
+1
 

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Sep 14, 2010
Messages
2,182
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Wanderer, but in All the East
A "miscellaneous" private forum gets Cognomen's seal of approval. And you know that people who refer to themselves (or their online persona) in the third person carry more weight!

It really does seem a good idea though, for a variety of reasons, to have a place that's not publicly broadcasted everywhere.
 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,330
Reaction score
18
Points
38
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
BUMP.

I am still behind this idea.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
22,143
Reaction score
381
Points
83
Age
41
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
20
Points
38
Age
39
Location
PA, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
40,135
Reaction score
612
Points
113
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Everyone comment on the oc.net Twitter account (yes that exists)!
 

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
5,557
Reaction score
260
Points
83
Location
wilderness
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
It will be like the cage in the WWE. Let me loose baby...
 
Top