• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Links for Byzantine Music

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
Too bad that about 10 years ago they banished this local chant from the cathedral in Timisoara and introduced standard psalter which wasn’t known in the diocese . To this day there are many who resent this, hating the vicar bishop there whom they blame for this act of cultural aggression and other things.
The only cathedral and indeed diocese where a variant of this chant ( named “lugojan” after one of its first compilers and systematizers, Trifon Lugojan)
is still the standard throughout is that of Arad.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Too bad that about 10 years ago they banished this local chant from the cathedral in Timisoara and introduced standard psalter which wasn’t known in the diocese . To this day there are many who resent this, hating the vicar bishop there whom they blame for this act of cultural aggression and other things.
The only cathedral and indeed diocese where a variant of this chant ( named “lugojan” after one of its first compilers and systematizers, Trifon Lugojan)
is still the standard throughout is that of Arad.
Oh I see and frankly I was waiting for input from your side :)

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
The Youth Byzantine Choir of st. John Damascene from Sankt Petersburg, Russia - various mp3s from their albums are on their website (in Russian)

MarkosC

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton
I'll add one: this is the "We Hymn Thee" and "It is Truly RIght" by one of the the US Goarch's top chanters, at a hierarchical liturgy with this board's favorite US bishop. It's quite nice.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Divine Liturgy of st. John Chrysostom in the 5th tone, Spanish - choir from Chile

Apostolos

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Church of Greece
It is Truly Meet after Silouanos Brazitikos (b. 1990), chanted by Polykarpos Tympas in Mode Pl. of 4th:

It is Truly Meet after Anonymous in Mode Pl. of 2nd chanted by the Greek Byzantine Choir:

Ἄξιόν ἐστιν ὡς ἀληθῶς, μακαρίζειν σε τὴν Θεοτόκον, τὴν ἀειμακάριστον καὶ παναμώμητον, καὶ Μητέρα τοῦ Θεοῦ ἡμῶν. Τὴν τιμιωτέραν τῶν Χερουβείμ, καὶ ἐνδοξοτέραν ἀσυγκρίτως τῶν Σεραφείμ, τὴν ἀδιαφθόρως, Θεὸν Λόγον τεκοῦσαν, τὴν ὄντως Θεοτόκον, σὲ μεγαλύνομεν.

It is truly right to bless thee, O Theotokos, the ever blessed, and most pure, and the Mother of our God. More honorable than the cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the seraphim, who without corruption gavest birth to God the Word, the true Theotokos, we magnify thee.

Channel: youtube.com/c/%CE%94%CE%B7%CE%BC%CE%AE%CF%84%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%BF%CF%82%CE%93%CE%A0%CE%B1%CF%80%CE%AC%CE%BD%CE%B7%CF%82

Apostolos

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Church of Greece
The "Dynamis" from the Thrice-Holy hymn.

The first one is after Kyriakos Ioannides "the Monk" aka "Kaloghirou" (+1906 οr 1907) in Mode Pl. of 1st, traditionally chanted at Vigils in Mount Athos. The choir is the monks of the Holy Monastery of Vatopedi:

The second one is after Ioannis Palasses (+1942) in Mode 2nd, chanted by Matthew Tsamkiranes (+2006). Τhe boy chanting at 03:34 is the incumbent Archon Protopsaltis of The Great Church of Christ, Panaghiotis Neochorites:

MarkosC

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton
The "Dynamis" from the Thrice-Holy hymn.

The first one is after Kyriakos Ioannides "the Monk" aka "Kaloghirou" (+1906 οr 1907) in Mode Pl. of 1st, traditionally chanted at Vigils in Mount Athos. The choir is the monks of the Holy Monastery of Vatopedi:

The second one is after Ioannis Palasses (+1942) in Mode 2nd, chanted by Matthew Tsamkiranes (+2006). Τhe boy chanting at 03:34 is the incumbent Archon Protopsaltis of The Great Church of Christ, Panaghiotis Neochorites:
Thanks for these. The first is definitely Vatopedi. :)

Funny, I saw the score for this recently - I just finished my first Dynamis of this type - First Mode, Metr. Neilos Kamardou of Patrou, p. 43 of the Zoe Musikos Pandekti - and the only recording of that on youtube is from a group of nuns who substitute the correct "athanatos" for the "athanatos" from this Kyriakos Ioannides piece! (I still have to get over the idea of a 4-7 minute Dynamis - or for that matter a 7 minute Cherubikon - as such never happens in my parish....)

What's with the terirems baked into the score? I've never used them, and in my experience they are put in to be sung (if needed multiple times) to extend the piece? And if so, it would seem that you could remove them if you needed less time?

For my part, I'll put something different, from a few weeks ago: English Apostichon for St James the Persian, sung by the composer.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Arabic and Romanian, compsotion of Joseph Yazbeck originally in Arabic

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Nativity hymns in Spanish

MarkosC

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton
Arabic and Romanian, compsotion of Joseph Yazbeck originally in Arabic
Very nice. Which hymn is this? I also assume the woman is singing Arabic and the men Romanian?

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Very nice. Which hymn is this? I also assume the woman is singing Arabic and the men Romanian?
It's based on the Nativity Canon, but own composition, you hear it's not the 1st tone. The woman actually is Arab Orthodox from Lebanon, I had this luck to be at Navity concert with her (and Joseph Yazbeck that compsoed many things including this chant and also others) 3 years ago in Broummana, Lebanon :) I felt really this community, what Church is supposed to be, as there is nobody "important" at Church, everybody is equal.

And the choir is Romanian, she lives now in Romania so cooperates with Romanian chantes and choirs.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Nativity Canon in Polish, Byzantine melody