• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Living descendamts of Christ (family)

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
What do we know of any people living today or at least several centuries ago descended from Jesus' family? Obviously He had no children, but what about cousins or sides of Joseph and Mary?

Logically, either the bloodline died or there must be millions. And honestly it would must not matter much. But it's interesting how this does not get much attention yet in Islam descendants of Mahomet's family are near idolized.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
de·scen·dant  (dĭ-sĕn′dənt)
n.
1. One whose descent can be traced to a particular individual or group: a descendant of Queen Victoria; descendants of a prize-winning horse.

Relatives of Joseph or Mary are not descendants of Christ.

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Mohammed died childless but sayyids are considered descendants

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Amatorus said:
What are you going on about? He had six children with Khadija alone.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
In the third century, the desposyni did seem to have some kind of special status (although perhaps just honorary).

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Amatorus said:
What are you going on about? He had six children with Khadija alone.
Oh sorry I was thinking of something else. For some reason I kept thinking Fatimah was his mother

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Minnesotan said:
In the third century, the desposyni did seem to have some kind of special status (although perhaps just honorary).
Are there any descendants of the desposyni alive today?

homedad76

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
If we go by the tradition that Joseph was a widower prior to marrying Mary we still have a couple of problems.  First I don't think we know for sure who any of the other children actually are and we definitely know nothing about Joseph's first wife.  Second since Jesus has no genetic ties to Joseph he has none with the others either, they are step family in every possible sense of the word.  These were not half-siblings.  So we go to Mary's side.  She had no siblings (St. Elizabeth was her aunt, not her sister and possibly even a great aunt) and the only cousin we know about would be John the Baptist who had no children.  We know nothing about St. Joachim or St. Anna's families and if either of them had siblings and besides that would be stretching the relation a little thin anyway.  So in order to trace a lineage back genetically to any relation to Christ you have to trace it back to people that there is no historical or biblical record for.  Yes I could claim I am the descendant of St. Elizabeth's unmentioned brother but I could then claim to be descended from pretty much any historical figure's unmentioned sibling.  I can't prove it at all.

EDITED after research: It looks like Mary was likely of the House of Judah while her mother (St. Elizabeth's sister) was of the House of Levi.  We know Mary was not of the House of David. So technically any Jew that can trace their lineage back to Judah could claim some sort of relation to Jesus along with billions of other people.  Again, it stretch the family tree a bit too much to count.

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
homedad76 said:
If we go by the tradition that Joseph was a widower prior to marrying Mary we still have a couple of problems.  First I don't think we know for sure who any of the other children actually are and we definitely know nothing about Joseph's first wife.  Second since Jesus has no genetic ties to Joseph he has none with the others either, they are step family in every possible sense of the word.  These were not half-siblings.  So we go to Mary's side.  She had no siblings (St. Elizabeth was her aunt, not her sister and possibly even a great aunt) and the only cousin we know about would be John the Baptist who had no children.  We know nothing about St. Joachim or St. Anna's families and if either of them had siblings and besides that would be stretching the relation a little thin anyway.  So in order to trace a lineage back genetically to any relation to Christ you have to trace it back to people that there is no historical or biblical record for.  Yes I could claim I am the descendant of St. Elizabeth's unmentioned brother but I could then claim to be descended from pretty much any historical figure's unmentioned sibling.  I can't prove it at all.

EDITED after research: It looks like Mary was likely of the House of Judah while her mother (St. Elizabeth's sister) was of the House of Levi.  We know Mary was not of the House of David. So technically any Jew that can trace their lineage back to Judah could claim some sort of relation to Jesus along with billions of other people.  Again, it stretch the family tree a bit too much to count.
Look at this gem I found:  ::)