• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Looking for a Particular Picture, Google not cooperating...

Pedro

Archon
Reaction score
Howdy -- long time, no post --

Looking for a picture I thought I had saved, not having any luck finding it online -- it's an oil painting of a young (not-gray-haired) priest, cassocked, long hair, long prayer rope around his wrist, very russian looking, with cross and icons on wall behind him. He appears to be leaning back against his desk or the wall, exasperated and tired (think like he's just come from a particularly taxing parish council meeting  ;D ).

Any links to jpegs would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sadly no Orthodox repository online for portraits.

I did find this, however it is missing some of your description:

Pedro

Archon
Reaction score
On a blog somewhere.

And definitely a priest, not a older monk (bishop, judging by staff) like what you posted. 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fr. David said:
On a blog somewhere.

And definitely a priest, not a older monk (bishop, judging by staff) like what you posted.  
OK definitely a priest then. I've tried a combination of words into google, but I get the weirdest images.

Can you recall some of this blog? How popular was it? Anything about it that stood out to you? Was it an Orthodox blog?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Fr. David said:
On a blog somewhere.

If you could possibly recall the domain name that would help. Unfortunately, since google doesn't support explicit use of a regular expressions, we would have to figure out the exact domain name.

After that, it would much more manageable to find the image.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Fr. David said:
On a blog somewhere.

If you could possibly recall the domain name that would help. Unfortunately, since google doesn't support explicit use of a regular expressions, we would have to figure out the exact domain name.

Hey buddy you know what I found out the other day? That tineye is a better image searcher than google is. Actually let me clarify that statement, a reverse image searcher.

Pedro

Archon
Reaction score
Nope.  Went through hard drive.  No dice.  No recollection of domain name.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fr. David said:
Nope.  Went through hard drive.  No dice.  No recollection of domain name.
Date you remember you last saw the photo on this blog? More specific the better.

I love investigating stuff.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
orthonorm said:
Fr. David said:
On a blog somewhere.

Hey buddy you know what I found out the other day? That tineye is a better image searcher than google is. Actually let me clarify that statement, a reverse image searcher.
I wish I had old school alta vista. Was a much more robust search engine, but because of that not as robust an index.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:
orthonorm said:
Fr. David said:
On a blog somewhere.

I wish I had old school alta vista. Was a much more robust search engine, but because of that not as robust an index.
You have no idea how helpful one of your old posts has been when it comes to googling. I didn't even know you could search like how you did.

Never heard of AltaVista, must have been before my time.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:
orthonorm said:
Fr. David said:
On a blog somewhere.

You have no idea how helpful one of your old posts has been when it comes to googling. I didn't even know you could search like how you did.

Never heard of AltaVista, must have been before my time.
It had more robust options like near and some implementation of XOR among other stuff.

Given the more "static" content of the time or if dynamic content, the greater compliance in honesty in information creation dates, the time delimiters were fantastic.

I wonder how much google would have to charge us to allow us to have access to an index which would allow for trivial latency for searches using a relatively robust standard expressions.

I would throw them $10 / month.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Oh and google can eat it for taking away SMS search support.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Sadly no Orthodox repository online for portraits.

I did find this, however it is missing some of your description:

That protrait looks like Metropolitan Makarios of HOCNA.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Konstantin Savitsky (Russian, 1844-1905)

Monk Inok

http://monsieurlabette.tumblr.com/post/24947628827/blastedheath-konstantin-savitsky-russian

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
Inok - short for Innokentiy or "It's Not OK"?  :-\

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Romaios said:
Inok - short for Innokentiy or "It's Not OK"?  :-\
Inok means monk in Russian.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
his 'meeting the icon' is also just wondrous...

ignore the wacky url....its in Cyrillic and this is how the board wants to encode it

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/%D0%9A._%D0%90._%D0%A1%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9._%D0%92%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%87%D0%B0_%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BD%D1%8B.jpg

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Yeah, he really does look like he had a bad day...
It looks like he was just given the obedience to empty the latrines.  For a year.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
his 'meeting the icon' is also just wondrous...

ignore the wacky url....its in Cyrillic and this is how the board wants to encode it

Code:
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/%D0%9A._%D0%90._%D0%A1%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9._%D0%92%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%87%D0%B0_%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BD%D1%8B.jpg[/IMG]
Note the use of the img tag with the width attribute to constrain the size.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
J Michael said:
hecma925 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Yeah, he really does look like he had a bad day...
It looks like he was just given the obedience to empty the latrines.  For a year.
Wouldn't that be on a par with having to deal with a parish council over and over and over and over?
:laugh:pretty much!