• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Looking for updated pics of St. Savas church in Belgrade

LukeDM

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
DOWAMA
I've been enthusiastically following the progress of the interior of St. Savas. It just seems to be such a poignant expression of Orthodoxy's perseverance in the face of persecution and political violence. Does anyone know of a source where the latest progress pics are posted? The most recent pics I've been able to find are on wikipedia, and I just know that there's got to be a better source. I'm especially looking forward to seeing the interior murals completed. Lately they've finished the mosaic of the pantocrator, an image from the ascension, as well as the apse behind the altar.

Does anyone have a better source? I don't mind having to click blindly around a Serbian page, if need be.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for as it is not totally up to date:
These photos present mainly the underground (basement) church of saint Sava.

Photos from January this year: https://www.novosti.rs/вести/наслов...ндиозни-мозаички-подухват-у-Храму-Светог-Саве

Photos from late August this year:

LukeDM

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
DOWAMA
Thank you both! Yes, Dominika, these were the pictures I've been looking for. I'm seriously stoked to see this church completed. I love how Serbia still builds these very Byzantine temples.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Thank you both! Yes, Dominika, these were the pictures I've been looking for. I'm seriously stoked to see this church completed. I love how Serbia still builds these very Byzantine temples.
In fact, it is Serbo-Byzantine style ;)

LukeDM

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
DOWAMA
Yes, and my favorite extant style of church architecture. Seriously, everything about Serbo-Byzantine architecture is ideal to my eyes. The proportions, the materials, everything.
So long as it stays away from that dreaded Hungarian style.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction

LukeDM

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
DOWAMA
Wow :love: That is just absolutely gorgeous. Seriously, I don't think there's any temple of Byzantine inspiration that surpasses this church. At least if you don't count Agia Sophia as a church any more.

I'm blown away at how quickly they've completed the rest of the Church. It seems like it took months and months to complete the mosaics on the dome. And all of the sudden, they're nearly entirely finished.

Thank you Ma'am. Now I need to find out what time of the year is best to visit Serbia so I can see it in person. 😇

LukeDM

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
DOWAMA
I don't think I've ever seen a horos like that one, where it has a smaller chandelier in the center, especially one that's filled in at the bottom. It seems odd to me that if you were standing directly in the center of the church, you couldn't look up and see the dome. What does everyone else think about the horos?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
You don't have to stand under the dome.

LukeDM

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
DOWAMA
I understand that. In a church of this size, I suspect the dome mosaic can be seen from nearly any angle. However, I think it's a natural response to want to stand smack dab in the middle of the church and look up. Just thought it was an interesting design of horos.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
It’s huge!

LukeDM

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
DOWAMA
I'm in awe. So beautiful.

Now I want to see them swing the horos at pascha. :LOL:

LukeDM

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
DOWAMA
Thanks Dominika!

IreneOlinyk

High Elder
Reaction score
Yes, and my favorite extant style of church architecture. Seriously, everything about Serbo-Byzantine architecture is ideal to my eyes. The proportions, the materials, everything.
So long as it stays away from that dreaded Hungarian style.
I agree that this is truly a beautiful church and constructed so quickly too. It will be blessing to all who worship in it for centuries to come.
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by the "dreaded Hungarian style" in Serbo-Byzantine architecture? Do you have link perhaps?

LukeDM

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
DOWAMA
Maybe the most notable example is St. Michael's Cathedral in Belgrade. Culturally speaking, it's a monument, situated across from the patriarchate. From what I understand, a lot of Serbs view it as a testament to their struggle with the Ottomans. While it's certainly not the most garishly neoclassical church, it seems very foreign to traditional Serbian architecture. Just my opinion though.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Maybe the most notable example is St. Michael's Cathedral in Belgrade. Culturally speaking, it's a monument, situated across from the patriarchate. From what I understand, a lot of Serbs view it as a testament to their struggle with the Ottomans. While it's certainly not the most garishly neoclassical church, it seems very foreign to traditional Serbian architecture. Just my opinion though.

Well, many Serbian Orthodox churches look like this, so actaully, it's not so foreign, at least at some point of time of history ;)

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Senior Patriarchate
it seems very foreign to traditional Serbian architecture.
What is traditional Serbian architecture? How far back we should go to find that?

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
What is traditional Serbian architecture? How far back we should go to find that?
Well, there is somethin called "Byzanto-Serbian sacral architecture" and you can find examples of it in Kosovo and Metochia; modern examples are exactly church of st. Sava in Belgrade and Christ Saviour cathedral in Banja Luka, but of course, there are more. However, there is also village sacral Serbian architecture, that's wooden and has its own charecteristics. As for houses, we can also speak about something as Serbian architecture.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Another video from Liturgy