• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Lossky

David Young

Archon
Reaction score
Website
primitivemethodism.com
Faith
Baptist
Jurisdiction
local church, Wrexham
Picked up Vladimir Lossky's Orthodox Theology: and introduction today for a quid in a charity bookshop. Was it good use of my quid? [For American readers, a quid = £1, and a charity bookshop is one where all the books are donated, and the money raised from their sale is given to charity.]

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Many Orthodox like Lossky. I've only read a different book by him (In the Image and Likeness of God), but fwiw I thought it was good. I don't know if 'introduction' in yours means it doesn't have quite as much meat to it though.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
I've only got his "Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church" which is, as the title may suggest to some, dense and rich.

Asteriktos said:
Many Orthodox like Lossky.
Some find him incredibly insightful; others find his writing impenetrable.  I'm in the middle somewhere.

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction
Antioch
David Young said:
Picked up Vladimir Lossky's Orthodox Theology: and introduction today for a quid in a charity bookshop. Was it good use of my quid? [For American readers, a quid = £1, and a charity bookshop is one where all the books are donated, and the money raised from their sale is given to charity.]
It was definitely worth a quid, but I have read part of this book, and many of his ideas are not fully developed here.  His magnum opus is considered to be The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church, cited above by Fr. George.  IMHO this is a brilliant and illuminating undertaking, a true classic of Orthodox theology.  It can appear to be too dense and confusing to plough through at times, and penetrating in its clarity at others, especially once you are more familiar with Lossky's prose and modus operandi.  (Yes, it's true that this is contradictory.  But you'll see what I mean if you dive into the book.) It's as if every other page contains enough distilled thought to fill an entire book on its own.  In my mind, there is no question that is worth the effort to have a real go at "deciphering" this work.  (I've known of cases in which someone not too familiar with Orthodox theology made little progress with the book at first, and then returned to it a couple of years later with more experience under their belt and had better luck the second time around.)  (Edit: I agree with what Fr. George mentioned about Lossky.  As you can see, in many ways my thoughts simply expand on what Fr. George already wrote.)

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Fr. George said:
I've only got his "Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church" which is, as the title may suggest to some, dense and rich.
I have this and yeah, that's good description in short words.