• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Lutherans receive Communion at Vatican after meeting with Pope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
The Lutherans were members of an annual ecumenical delegation to Rome on the part of Catholics, Orthodox, and Lutherans to celebrate the feast day of St. Henry of Uppsala, who is credited with the evangelization of Finland in the 12th century.

After an audience with the pope, the delegation was present at a celebration of the Catholic mass. According to a Lutheran bishop who was present, at the time of communion the non-Catholics placed their right hands on their left shoulders, a traditional way of indicating that they were ineligible to receive the Eucharist. However, the celebrating priests insisted on giving them communion.
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/lutherans-receive-communion-at-vatican-after-meeting-with-pope-report

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
?
I don't like this. Why would I insist on giving the Eucharist to those who do not belong to my Church, and openly says he doesn't want to take it?
I've seen some buzz from the athonites concerning the relations between Patriarch Bartholomew and his approximation to the RCs. Correct me, if wrong.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I know some think Catholics are fairly open to giving EO communion, but Lutherans? How often does this happen in Rome?

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd also like to add:

Canon 844 of the Catholic Church’s Code of Canon Law only permits the Eucharist to be given to Catholics in the state of grace (that is, not in a state of grave sin), except in cases of non-Catholics who request communion and who are from churches that are approved by the Holy See as holding the same faith as Catholics regarding communion. Lutherans have traditionally been seen as not holding to the same faith as Catholics on the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Partially-overlapping
at the time of communion the non-Catholics placed their right hands on their left shoulders, a traditional way of indicating that they were ineligible to receive the Eucharist. However, the celebrating priests insisted on giving them communion.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Those crazy papists, always doing something naughty...

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
In Russian prior to the Revolution, any person who received communion for any reason was automatically Baptized afterwards.  If you receive, you are automatically part of the Church because you have submitted to the Church.

I doubt that any one of those people was pinned to the floor and have the wafer jammed on their gob, so they received the host and thus submitted to the Pope.  Very simple.

In reality, once they took communion, they became Roman Catholics.

Seraffa

Reaction score
Faith
Coptic Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the Southern U.S.
From a former Catholic (me):
It's the Vactican!
That State-within-a-State that's "not of this world"
Once you'r on "Holy Ground" Ya gotta do the Vatican Rag........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvhYqeGp_Do

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
FatherGiryus said:
[size=10pt]In Russian prior to the Revolution, any person who received communion for any reason was automatically Baptized afterwards.

What is this nonsense? Even for Russian it looks idiotic.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
So, people outside the Church received bread from others from outside the Church.  Cool.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Asteriktos said:
I know some think Catholics are fairly open to giving EO communion, but Lutherans? How often does this happen in Rome?
I'm not sure how American Lutheranism looks like but despite gay marriages and all for some people Scandinavian Luthetanism might not seem too different modern Catholicism. Not in communion with Calvinists, somewhat traditional liturgics, churches led by bishops etc.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
People usually refer the Vatican and the Pope but its a long way from the local catholic church and the local bishop.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
mike said:
FatherGiryus said:
In Russian prior to the Revolution, any person who received communion for any reason was automatically Baptized afterwards.

What is this nonsense? Even for Russian it looks idiotic.

[size=10pt]Blame seminary.  I didn't teach the classes there.  That was from canon law.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Thread locked

Don't engage in insulting the entire Roman Catholic Church in this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.