• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Malankara bishop and/or monastery converted to Catholicism?

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Has anyone heard or understand from the link what happened there? As some Eastern Catholic groups share it as a Malankara Orthodox monastery converted to Catholicism, meanwhile using Google Translate and seeing some commentaries, it seems one of Malankara Orthodox bishops, that used to be Catholic, converted back to Catholicism. What is the truth?

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
I also saw this. I googled the bishop's name (Vandya Rampaccan) and found this article that seems to say the bishop who supposedly converted died on June 18th 2020, and that he was going to be buried in the Bethlehem Monastery in Chengmanad, which is under the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church.

Pretty bizarre. May Mor Ephrem or someone else from his Madrasian Legions come save us.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
If I’m not mistaken, this is an Orthodox hieromonk who became Malankara Catholic. I am not familiar with him, but from what my sources tell me, he seems to be an interesting fellow. Hopefully he finds what he’s looking for, he’s paying a hefty price for it.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
What do you mean?
I get the sense that he’s into Charismatism and is leaving for Catholicism because the Orthodox Church wasn’t as accommodating.

Of course, converting could also be a way to “become a bishop”.

Do you mean resinging from Orthodoxy or something else?
Yes, I meant that rejecting Orthodoxy was a hefty price.