• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Man Embarks on Beer Only Fast for Lent

MarkosC

Reaction score
I really pray this guy stops it after a day or so.

I know somebody who basically drank only coffee all of Lent.  :eek: By around the fourth week or so, that 20-something developed an acid reflux problem.  :-[

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
MarkosC said:

I know somebody who basically drank only coffee all of Lent.  :eek: By around the fourth week or so, that 20-something developed an acid reflux problem.  :-[
No calories in coffee, not so with beer.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bob2 said:
MarkosC said:

No calories in coffee, not so with beer.
More vitamins and micronutrients in beer as well.

If you need a supercharged coffee to make up for other dietary restrictions, consider the infamous 'three bean soup' (vanilla soy latte).

Lepanto

High Elder
Reaction score
Maybe I should give this a shot next year  ;)
Though in essence it may be just a slippery slope to alcoholism.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Just make sure the beer is blessed according to the proper rite in the Rituale Romanum.  :)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
"If you will, you can become all brewski" - Amma Nevaeh

Rhinosaur

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I've heard many things that people have given up for Lent, but someone giving up their liver functions is a new one.

Alin

Reaction score
To be honest this doesn't sound like a lot of fun, maybe he already gave up by now. I bet he is annoyed by how many times he has to go to the bathroom

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Also, doesn't advertising how strict you'll be fasting to your local newspaper kind of defeat the purpose of fasting "unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly." Matt. 6:18.

Seems more like an advertisement campaign for his own brewing business.

Ariend

Reaction score
Technically following the Orthodox fast. No meat, fish, oil, wine, dairy, or eggs. The Church fathers would be pleased! :p

Rubricnigel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
PorphyriosK said:
Also, doesn't advertising how strict you'll be fasting to your local newspaper kind of defeat the purpose of fasting "unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly." Matt. 6:18.

Seems more like an advertisement campaign for his own brewing business.
Yes.

Its boastful and prideful to say the least. But his choice all the same. If he succeeds in it, ill eat my boot.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
It is a western phronema. I strongly recommend the book "Great Lent" by Fr. Alexander Schememann

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
A Roman Catholic friend of mine did this a few years back. He made it 21 days before he decided to eat again. He was losing weight pretty fast.

Rubricnigel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
platypus said:
A Roman Catholic friend of mine did this a few years back. He made it 21 days before he decided to eat again. He was losing weight pretty fast.
I wonder if anyone here drinks that soylent stuff. No food diet, just drink soy.