• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Matthew 15:26

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Greetings!

Matthew 15:26 reads, "And he answered, "It is not fair to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs." - Matthew 15:26, RSV.

"ὁ δὲ ἀποκριθεὶς εἶπεν οὐκ ἔστιν καλὸν λαβεῖν τὸν ἄρτον τῶν τέκνων καὶ βαλεῖν τοῖς κυναρίοις."

It looks like κυναρίοις is a plural diminutive of "Κύων."

What I am wondering is if the term just means "smaller dogs," or if the term is less insulting than Κύων?

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
"The time for a full-scale outreach to the Samaritans and Gentiles would come later. That is why our Lord refused her request. To deny the Twelve their desperately needed rest to minister to the Gentiles of Tyre and Sidon would be as inappropriate as taking the food from the table at which hungry children were sitting and giving it instead to the little dogs under the table."
I have been looking at this the last few days since I was instructed of my error in another thread. This OCA article has some interesting thoughts. Hope others share.

Apostolos

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Church of Greece
It means puppies, the Lord is making a juxtaposition between the offspring of men and the offspring of dogs

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Do you think they were pets or friendly with the house rather than scavengers?

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
Do you think they were pets or friendly with the house rather than scavengers?
It's parallelism to contrast the implied "children" who are fit for the "children's bread".

One doesn't typically prepare nourishing meals like bread for puppies. Especially during that time period where animals were viewed more as assets than a hobby. Father and mother dogs also don't prepare homemade meals for their puppies, only giving them scavenged scraps so they don't starve.

The way I see it, Jesus is trying to show that God is like a father providing cooked bread for his children, as God provides true spiritual sustenance for those who are His children (the Children of Abraham). Those who aren't have no provider of spiritual sustenance (presumably, they would have Satan as their father, who does not provide spiritual sustenance).

Last edited: