• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Mediocre Heifetz

Which performance is better?

• First is better

• Second is better

• About the same quality

Results are only viewable after voting.

Simkins

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Radio Gnostic
Jurisdiction
Pleroma
Jascha Heifetz was called the emperor of the violin by the media. But does he deserve the title? This experiment will help to find out. Here are two performances of the same musical piece ( Brahms violin concerto, third part). One is by Heifetz (I'll not tell you which), another by a female violinist you never heard about. I suggest that you after blind listening tell which performance is better. It would be good if you also explain your choice in a posting.

First performance

Second performance

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jascha Heifetz was called the emperor of the violin by the media. But does he deserve the title? This experiment will help to find out. Here are two performances of the same musical piece ( Brahms violin concerto, third part). One is by Heifetz (I'll not tell you which), another by a female violinist you never heard about. I suggest that you after blind listening tell which performance is better. It would be good if you also explain your choice in a posting.

First performance

Second performance
This really does not make any sense. You cannot judge a person's abilities from one recording. Much of Heifetz recording were monophonic and not necessarily high quality. I do not know how recent the unnamed recording is - that is, with modern editing.

Example, about 30 years ago I searched for the best recording of Brahms Piano Trio no.1 Opus 8. The Rubinstein:Heifetz:Feuermann recording was good, but came in third. I found, according to my expectations, that the Badura-Skoda: Fournier:Janigro recording and interpretation was superior. It is not just skill, it is interpretation that is equally important. I was moved by the latter trio even though it was monophonic, not so the former.

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
The first recording has a very strong sense of rhythm and tonality, but there is obvious slipping of the bow (and fingers). The second recording lacks the technical quality of the first, with poor training leading to out-of-control vibrato (which I find generally disgusting) and most notes hitting at the wrong time, though there is certainly an "emotion" to this playing style (though one I cannot stand). I would think that the first violinist could improve quite a lot with time, while the second seems stuck, but both recordings are ultimately flawed and I can't say one is "better": my guess would be the first is a learning violinist with great potential, while second is the famous violinist.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
there is certainly an "emotion" to this playing style (though one I cannot stand)
It's remarks like this one that makes me thing I have a more or less clear understanding of how your mind works. :LOL:

Simkins

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Radio Gnostic
Jurisdiction
Pleroma
This really does not make any sense. You cannot judge a person's abilities from one recording. Much of Heifetz recording were monophonic and not necessarily high quality. I do not know how recent the unnamed recording is - that is, with modern editing.

Example, about 30 years ago I searched for the best recording of Brahms Piano Trio no.1 Opus 8. The Rubinstein:Heifetz:Feuermann recording was good, but came in third. I found, according to my expectations, that the Badura-Skoda: Fournier:Janigro recording and interpretation was superior. It is not just skill, it is interpretation that is equally important. I was moved by the latter trio even though it was monophonic, not so the former.
What's your point? That unknown violinist's recording sounds better because it was more recent and used better recording technology?

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What's your point? That unknown violinist's recording sounds better because it was more recent and used better recording technology?
I did not listen to either recording since everything sounds like it is coming out of a tin can receiver on my laptop. I was essentially guessing in that respect. I have now at least listened to the first minutes of each recording. I know some people do not care for the Heifetz-Reiner performance, but this is a matter of personal taste, which was my point. I hope Erica Morini is the other violinist because she was a great violinist who is now largely forgotten. I do not have her recording of the Brahms violin concerto but I do have her recording of the Tchaikovsky. I also remember when her Davidov Stradivarius got stolen.