• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Melkite Synod in 'rebellion'

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
While the Orthodox Holy Synod is mired in controversy, apparently the Synod of the Melkite Greek Catholics is having their own problems. Apparently taking the 'Orthodox in union with Rome' concept to a higher level, 10 of the 22 bishops boycotted the June Synod prompting this reaction from the Melkite Patriarch:  "In the statement, Gregory III says: "I consider the boycott of the work of the synod on the part of some bishops as an act of open ecclesiastical rebellion against patriarchal authority and that of the Congregation of the Eastern Churches (Rome), as well as against a clear provision of canon law ... Demanding the unconditional resignation of the patriarch is irresponsible conduct, not ecclesial and illegal, and has caused a wave of anger, protests, doubts and perplexity among the faithful. This very serious situation has prompted us to publish this explanatory statement, out of the concern for protecting the conscience and feelings of our children, clergy and laity, as well as the dignity of our Church, at all levels ... I shall not resign, and not I give in to illegal and deceptive pressures. I will remain at the service of my Church. " http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Gregory-III-to-rebel-Melkite-bishops:-I-will-not-resign-under-illegal-and-deceptive-pressures-37836.html

ICXCNIKA

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
While the Orthodox Holy Synod is mired in controversy, apparently the Synod of the Melkite Greek Catholics is having their own problems. Apparently taking the 'Orthodox in union with Rome' concept to a higher level, 10 of the 22 bishops boycotted the June Synod prompting this reaction from the Melkite Patriarch:  "In the statement, Gregory III says: "I consider the boycott of the work of the synod on the part of some bishops as an act of open ecclesiastical rebellion against patriarchal authority and that of the Congregation of the Eastern Churches (Rome), as well as against a clear provision of canon law ... Demanding the unconditional resignation of the patriarch is irresponsible conduct, not ecclesial and illegal, and has caused a wave of anger, protests, doubts and perplexity among the faithful. This very serious situation has prompted us to publish this explanatory statement, out of the concern for protecting the conscience and feelings of our children, clergy and laity, as well as the dignity of our Church, at all levels ... I shall not resign, and not I give in to illegal and deceptive pressures. I will remain at the service of my Church. " http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Gregory-III-to-rebel-Melkite-bishops:-I-will-not-resign-under-illegal-and-deceptive-pressures-37836.html
Sounds like a mini-pope. I can't be judged by your mere members of the synod.

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I don't find "Asia News" to be a reliable press.  What is on the official church web site about this issue? 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
This just goes to show that the Catholics can't keep it together without a Byzantine emperor enforcing unity and discipline.

Paisius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
This just goes to show that the Catholics can't keep it together without a Byzantine emperor enforcing unity and discipline.

Somebody call USA cause you just got a "burn notice".......... 8)

urg8rb8

Elder
Reaction score
Well, looks like he resigned after all and has already been replaced!

urg8rb8

Elder
Reaction score
Opus118 said:
urg8rb8 said:
Well, looks like he resigned after all and has already been replaced!
Is there a link?
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/youssef-absi-elected-patriarch-of-melkite-greek-catholic-church-12148/

urg8rb8

Elder
Reaction score

urg8rb8

Elder
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
None of this appears to involve any dispute over whether the church should be in communion with Antioch.
That's right it doesn't.  I was just making a general statement.