Met. Hilarion on the Conversion of the "Catholic Ch. of the East" to Orthodoxy

PJ26

Reaction score
Statement from Metropolitan Hilarion regarding the Conversion of the "Catholic Church of the East" to Orthodoxy

Has anyone read anything about this?

http://eadiocese.org/News/2016/feb/mhstmnt.en.htm

The article states that the Catholic Church of the East has over 60 parishes - according to their still active website:

http://www.catholicchurchoftheeast.org

some are in the US like "Our Lady of Theotokos" in Mount Carmel, PA with others in places like the Philippines, Colombia, Pakistan, Palestine, and Nigeria

They are led by former "Archbishop" now Hieromonk Elias, a former member of the Polish National Catholic Church

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Very interesting. One of their parishes (in Wilmington, DE) ain't too far from me.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Well this will last about two minutes until ROCOR figures out what they've gotten themselves into.  When will they learn to stop taking in vagantes.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
The Orthodox have successfully de-vagantized several groups over the years.  The EOC, for example.  The recent failure with the BOC was depressing, but you can't win them all, and hey, at least we got Fr. Peter, and that alone was worth the price of admission.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
wgw said:
The Orthodox have successfully de-vagantized several groups over the years.  The EOC, for example.  The recent failure with the BOC was depressing, but you can't win them all, and hey, at least we got Fr. Peter, and that alone was worth the price of admission.
I don't think anyone would categorize the EOC as vagantes.  As to the others I believe there have been far more failures than successes.  As to Fr Ramzi or is it Bishop Elias of ROCOR as he states in a recent news article:
http://timesleader.com/news/503281/st-roccos-church-in-pittston-reopens-as-st-irene-russian-orthodox-outside-church-of-russia

And if you think he really has 60 parishes I have a bridge in New York I'd like to sell you.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Deacon Lance said:
Well this will last about two minutes until ROCOR figures out what they've gotten themselves into.  When will they learn to stop taking in vagantes.
+1

wgw said:
The Orthodox have successfully de-vagantized several groups over the years.  The EOC, for example.
So this is one group. Can you name the others?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score

Vagantes gonna vagant.  Not even Pope Michael of Kansas has something like this!

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
hecma925 said:

Vagantes gonna vagant.  Not even Pope Michael of Kansas has something like this!
That picture was from when he was part of the PNCC delegation to Rome.  Although other vagant bishops have weaseled their way into photo ops. 

Mountain

Reaction score
Now it is time for the Byzantine Catholics to return home. 
In a carriage of salvation.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
mike said:
Most or all of ROCOR's current WR parishes are from vagante groups. Of course their WR has been notoriously messy and unstable but they're still around. I would agree in the hope that ROCOR did some serious investigation and vetting before making this decision. After the recent issues I would be surprised if they didn't. But we'll see I suppose. And yeah, 60 parishes... no.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
mike said:
Most or all of ROCOR's current WR parishes are from vagante groups. Of course their WR has been notoriously messy and unstable but they're still around. I would agree in the hope that ROCOR did some serious investigation and vetting before making this decision. After the recent issues I would be surprised if they didn't. But we'll see I suppose. And yeah, 60 parishes... no.
ROCOR WR is not a good example how to convert smaller organisations into the Orthodox Church. It's an example how not to do it.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen (and those who are still trying to figure out which they are):

Please be mindful of General Fora rules and the problem of debating here.  If you want to argue about ROCOR's practices, please open a new topic in a Moderated Forum.

Thank you for choosing OCNet!  Have a wonderful day!

(And do go outside.  Fresh air is healthy and spiritual.  It may also make you more intelligent and better looking, so give it a try!)

- Father Giryus, General Fora Moderator
(a.f.a. Fr. Mom)

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
mike said:
Deacon Lance said:
+1

wgw said:
The Orthodox have successfully de-vagantized several groups over the years.  The EOC, for example.
The ones in Uganda and East Africa.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
PJ26 said:
They are led by former "Archbishop" now Hieromonk Elias, a former member of the Polish National Catholic Church
His blog says they originate from the Brazilian Catholic Apostolic Church:
http://archbishopramzimusallam.blogspot.com/

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
mike said:
PJ26 said:
His blog says they originate from the Brazilian Catholic Apostolic Church:
http://archbishopramzimusallam.blogspot.com/
The BCAC is an African Pagan-influenced version of the worst kind of Episcopalian modernism, I hope the Catholic Church of the East gets on their way under ROCOR.

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Deacon Lance said:
You can see a recent picture of their alter in this article which announces their change to the ROCOR back in January:  http://timesleader.com/news/503281/st-roccos-church-in-pittston-reopens-as-st-irene-russian-orthodox-outside-church-of-russia 
An early 2007 article: http://www.theprogressnews.com/default.asp?read=8873   
A 2011 article:  http://republicanherald.com/news/arabic-church-grounds-consecrated-church-named-a-cathedral-1.1182586

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
wgw said:
Interesting and exciting.  I have long felt the traditionalist PNCC would be an apt target for conversion to Orthodoxy.
The PNCC isn't involved here. He was defrocked at around the time that he decided to form what was first called the Arabic Catholic Church.

Many years,

Neil

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
What is the history of this group? I can't find out much about them.