Methodists ordain an openly gay woman as bishop

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
The Rev. Karen Oliveto, senior pastor of Glide Memorial Church in San Francisco, has been elected as the first openly lesbian United Methodist bishop by delegates at the Western Jurisdictional Conference.

Oliveto, 58, was elected July 15 at the jurisdiction’s quadrennial meeting in Scottsdale, Arizona. She was elected on the 17th ballot with 88 votes after the Rev. Dottie Escobedo-Frank and the Rev. Walter “Skip” Strickland withdrew from the election. The Rev. Frank Wulf, another openly gay candidate, had withdrawn earlier.

http://www.umc.org/news-and-media/western-jurisdiction-elects-openly-gay-united-methodist-bishop

Despite the explicit rules in the Book of Discipline which forbid such a thing, this region decided that it wasn't going to wait for an imposed moratorium while such things are looked at by a select committee organized at their convention earlier this summer.  I'm waiting for the African and Asian Methodists to immediately condemn this and break off. 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
scamandrius said:
The Rev. Karen Oliveto, senior pastor of Glide Memorial Church in San Francisco, has been elected as the first openly lesbian United Methodist bishop by delegates at the Western Jurisdictional Conference.

Oliveto, 58, was elected July 15 at the jurisdiction’s quadrennial meeting in Scottsdale, Arizona. She was elected on the 17th ballot with 88 votes after the Rev. Dottie Escobedo-Frank and the Rev. Walter “Skip” Strickland withdrew from the election. The Rev. Frank Wulf, another openly gay candidate, had withdrawn earlier.

http://www.umc.org/news-and-media/western-jurisdiction-elects-openly-gay-united-methodist-bishop

Despite the explicit rules in the Book of Discipline which forbid such a thing, this region decided that it wasn't going to wait for an imposed moratorium while such things are looked at by a select committee organized at their convention earlier this summer.  I'm waiting for the African and Asian Methodists to immediately condemn this and break off.
Why do you care? 

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Ironically enough, the United Methodist church is one of the most diverse churches still in one piece in the U.S. A southern small town may have one that with KJV-only elders and a northeastern city may have one that's not discernably different from UCC. If they've gone on that way for this long, probably the latest event won't ruin them.

Are Methodists in Africa really United Methodist? I suppose there might be a few offspring of American missionary work, but I'd think most Methodists in Africa would trace their not-inconsiderable numbers to the Methodist homeland of England.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Kyrie Eleison x 100 x 4

Here we go again.

The Episcopal Church USA elected the openly gay Vicke Gene Robinson as "bishop" of New Hampshire in 2002.

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America elected the an openly gay "bishop"  Guy (whatever his surname) in the Californa-Pacific Synod a decade later.

The United Methodists didn't even wait a decade.

"Let the wicked fall into their own nets".

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
scamandrius said:

Why do you care?
My wife is Methodist as is most of her family. Her cousin with whom she grew up (the brother she never had) is in seminary right now and this past week we had a family gathering.  This subject came up during dinner and my wife's cousin believed that despite the moratorium that a district may go ahead and do simething like this.

That a good enough reason for you, Mor?  Should I clear all topics with you first?

Reaction score
Is this really that shocking? the UMC been the "Gay Church" now for a while. One thing historians will look back on years from now, is how fast Mainline Protestantism has fallen. It too bad too since many folks like Traditional Anglicans, and Confessional Lutheranism seemed very close to Orthodoxy in some areas, and at one time had a huge influence on the American public. Prayers to those Methodists now without a home, they need it.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Svartzorn said:
Let them sink into their own degeneracies, we shouldn't care.
As an institution, sure. "Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." But for the tens of thousands of eternal souls involved, we should certainly care.

Rohzek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Gotta love the comments that say they don't care about other churches. I mean, it's not like such things make reunion or even missionary work among Methodists more difficult and all. :rollseyes:

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Rohzek said:
Gotta love the comments that say they don't care about other churches. I mean, it's not like such things make reunion or even missionary work among Methodists more difficult and all. :rollseyes:
I can't imagine a circumstance which would put Orthodox "reunion" with a church like this even under discussion. United Methodism is removed from Orthodoxy by many steps -- removed from its own roots by several.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
In other words, even putting this concept in purely technical, bureaucratical terms, the United Methodist Church would first have to have "reunion" with other Methodists in U.S., then that group would have to do what was necessary to have "reunion" with Methodists in Great Britain, they would have to find their way back to low-church Church of England status (which Wesley, I believe, still had), then back to Anglo-Catholicism, Roman Catholicism ... You get the picture. And, again, this doesn't touch the moral and postmodern-theological issues -- just an unbridgeable gap.

Reaction score
I didn't even know any sort of reunion with Methodism was ever talked about in Orthodoxy, who saying this in our Churches?

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Methodism claims it's Apostolic Succesion from a Greek Bishop:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmus_of_Arcadia

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Tallitot said:
Methodism claims it's Apostolic Succesion from a Greek Bishop:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmus_of_Arcadia
Even if Wesley were "ordained" by this Bishop it would have been canonically illicit  so Methodists would not have any claim to apostolic succession.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Seekingtrue said:
mike said:
Seekingtrue said:
mike said:
A gay woman in clergy is axia?
she was chosen by the leaders of her religion as the best candidate.
Gays are not axioi for clergy.Any other field yes..
Is she a bishop in the Orthodox Church, where lesbians cannot be bishops? y/n?