• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Methuselah and the Flood

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I found this timeline:

Methuselah died in the year of the Flood. I've heard that there is a rabbinic tradition that God delayed the Flood "yet seven days" (Gen. 7:4) so that Noah and his family could mourn Methuselah's death. Is there an Orthodox tradition on this matter? Did Methuselah die before the Flood or in it?

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I do not have time to compare the numbers right now, but some of the numbers of the MT and LXX are different with the Genesis genealogies, plus we need to be careful about our assumptions about where we place the beginning of the timelines.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I'm confused.  Am I reading that chart correctly?

I can buy that fact that the Earth is not a gazillion years old as science claims it to be....but, to say the Flood took place in the 1600's....um....

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
I'm confused.  Am I reading that chart correctly?

I can buy that fact that the Earth is not a gazillion years old as science claims it to be....but, to say the Flood took place in the 1600's....um....
From year zero, as in 1650 (or so) years from creation.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Ohhhhh....gotcha!

That makes sense now!   ;D

Is there a chart that goes beyond Noah?

JoeS2

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Gamliel said:
I do not have time to compare the numbers right now, but some of the numbers of the MT and LXX are different with the Genesis genealogies, plus we need to be careful about our assumptions about where we place the beginning of the timelines.
Life expectancies drop dramatically after the flood....

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Gamliel said:
Genesis 5

Brenton Septuagint Translation: 31 And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred and fifty-three years, and he died.
KJV: 31 And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred seventy and seven years: and he died.

yeshuaisiam

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Did somebody re-verify the actual birth dates of these people and how they compare to biblical account?

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
If the tradition's early enough, I wouldn't be surprised if at least some Christians/Fathers actually held it. Many Rabbinic traditions (directly or variants) were in fact common to early Rabbinic Jews and early Christians alike, since both did develop out of the milieu of Second Temple Judaism after all.

But beyond that, I'm of no use.

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
Ohhhhh....gotcha!

That makes sense now!   ;D

Is there a chart that goes beyond Noah?
I've seen one on the past that continues this chart all the way up to Jesus, but it's been awhile, not sure where to find it at the moment.