• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Midnight Vigil for 911 victims

observer

High Elder
Reaction score
At the Church of the Holy Protection of the Theotokos in Seattle, there will be a midnight vigil for victoms of 911 and for all innocent victims who has suffered a violent death.  The service begins on Sunday 10th Sept with Matins at 11.30 pm followed by the Divine Liturgy - ending around 1.30 am.

For OCs - this is when we commemorate the Beheading of the St John the Baptist.  It is curious to note that in the Canon at Matins, we ask the Theotokos to defend us againsts the Haragenes.

Address: 564 Ravenna Boulevard (corner of 65th and Ravenna - in former Presbyterian Church).  www.pokrov-seattle.org

alexp4uni

Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am curious to ask a question about the whole issue about communion in a ROCOR church. Can Orthodox faithful under SCOBA who get invited to attend the JP church service (even though the JP are not under canonical status) have to get a Panikhida from a bishop or a priest?

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
alexp4uni said:
I am curious to ask a question about the whole issue about communion in a ROCOR church. Can Orthodox faithful under SCOBA who get invited to attend the JP church service (even though the JP are not under canonical status) have to get a Panikhida from a bishop or a priest?
1) This parish is not ROCOR
2) The JP is fully "canonical" and here with EP permission - now (no further comment)
3) SCOBA has nothing to do with the issue you pose.

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
alexp4uni said:
Alex,
Basically, the AP and JP have a little "tiff" going on right now that concerns the clergy and moreso the hierarchs (basically a "turf" spat).  It should be of no concern to the laity (i.e. you or I).

observer

High Elder
Reaction score
Unfortunately there is a "turf" dispute.  Some Arab parishes left Antioch for JP. This is not good for pastoral relations but most people just get on with their lives.  There is a very healthy rel between Serbian (American). EP clergy and JP.  Elder Ephraim is very supportative of good relations between clergy i.e. concelebration.  Yes I am in Seattle.