• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Minority religion temple shot

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
It seems patriotic defenders against the cultural invasion are doing their job.

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/225403542-story

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The problem with this sort of politics of cultural protectionism is that it doesn't take into account that most people are stupid, and dangerous.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
xOrthodox4Christx said:
The problem with this sort of politics of cultural protectionism is that it doesn't take into account that most people are stupid, and dangerous.
I have no idea what you wrote.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
mike said:

It seems like you jumped to an unwarranted conclusion.  Don't be an alarmist or activist looking for dragons to slay.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Minority involves dragons?  Most fascinating.
It's an idiom.  The OP is drawing unwarranted conclusions from the source given.  It makes him seem like he has an ax to grind to talk about something other than the story.

Were we to go off the story we should think something like this:

"Orthodox Church shot during Christmas Season; possibly due to hunting season".  Notice how words like minority, patriot, or whatever have no business even being discussed.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
William T said:
Mor Ephrem said:
It's an idiom.  The OP is drawing unwarranted conclusions from the source given.  It makes him seem like he has an ax to grind to talk about something other than the story.

"Orthodox Church shot during Christmas Season; possibly due to hunting season".  Notice how words like minority, patriot, or whatever have no business even being discussed.
Except this happened in Forsyth County, GA.  But true, the article says there hasn't been any other aggression over the years.  Scary.  I hope it's nothing.  Mike is possibly right, though.  That county has (or had) a nasty reputation.  It seemed more chromatic than cultural, though, from what I recall.    :(

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Ainnir said:
William T said:
Mor Ephrem said:

Except this happened in Forsyth County, GA.  But true, the article says there hasn't been any other aggression over the years.  Scary.  I hope it's nothing.  Mike is possibly right, though.  That county has (or had) a nasty reputation.  It seemed more chromatic than cultural, though, from what I recall.    :(
I didn't realize the history until you cited the county and I looked it up on wikipedia.  Maybe that was part of the OP's point.  I still think it was inappropriate to use this article to speak to that point. 

And unless the OP was being ironic on something to illustrate something, I'm not too thrilled about being categorized as a minority without any qualification.  I'd rather someone just mention it was an Orthodox Church (and not temple).  If the Orthodox Church happened to be oppressing Jews or whatever, I'd rather it be stated that an Orthodox Church was oppressing Jews.

I think the OP is Polish, so maybe something is getting lost in translation.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lord, have mercy!

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
According to the article, it was the Welcome sign in front of Joy of All Who Sorrow Russian Orthodox Church which was shot through. If Donald Trump had just expelled 35 Russian diplomats and accused the Russians of keeping his favourite candidate out of the White House, the incident would no doubt be blamed on him and his low-life supporters.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
FinnJames said:
According to the article, it was the Welcome sign in front of Joy of All Who Sorrow Russian Orthodox Church which was shot through.
And the church itself.  According to the article.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
William T said:
Ainnir said:
William T said:
Mor Ephrem said:

I didn't realize the history until you cited the county and I looked it up on wikipedia.  Maybe that was part of the OP's point.  I still think it was inappropriate to use this article to speak to that point. 

And unless the OP was being ironic on something to illustrate something, I'm not too thrilled about being categorized as a minority without any qualification.  I'd rather someone just mention it was an Orthodox Church (and not temple).  If the Orthodox Church happened to be oppressing Jews or whatever, I'd rather it be stated that an Orthodox Church was oppressing Jews.

I think the OP is Polish, so maybe something is getting lost in translation.
Ok, I see what you're saying.  True, Orthodoxy isn't actually a minority religion.  It's just unevenly distributed.  :)  Honestly, I'm so used to minority being attached to race, I didn't understand the implication in the OP.  I interpreted it as a "church of a minority group."

I watched the video clip and it does look like vandalism--potshots from two different rifles on a Friday night.  Looking at it and the area, a missed deer seems highly unlikely.  It's not a good idea to assume the reason, though.  Sometimes "just because" is enough for someone to do stupid and crazy things.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Mor Ephrem said:
What religion is "Minority"?  What are their major beliefs and rituals?  Where's wgw?
If there were such a religion, I would probably know about it, alas.  You have no idea what a drag it is to have run out of religions to study, btw.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
wgw said:
Mor Ephrem said:
What religion is "Minority"?  What are their major beliefs and rituals?  Where's wgw?
If there were such a religion, I would probably know about it, alas.  You have no idea what a drag it is to have run out of religions to study, btw.
You can start making your own religions up.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to know the "special Christmas" message for the vandals that the news team promised

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
RaphaCam said:
wgw said:
Mor Ephrem said:
You can start making your own religions up.
That would be of reduced interest and very possibly an act of apostasy. 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
wgw said:
That would be of reduced interest and very possibly an act of apostasy.
I used to have fun making religions up to exercise my knowledge of comparative religion and mythology, it's not interesting to me anymore but sometimes I read my old stuff.

Have you tried reading authors like Eliade, Campbell, Dumézil, Saussure? They would give you an entirely new idea of what world religions are like.

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score
mike said:

You mean the patriotic defenders of the Umma?

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
mike said:
xOrthodox4Christx said:
Did you?

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Ainnir said:
William T said:
Mor Ephrem said:

Didn't someone just set a chrome church on fire in GA with some graffiti supposedly by the non-chromed, and it turned out to be a member of the church, of the  same shade of chrome?

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
Ainnir said:
William T said:
Mor Ephrem said:

Didn't someone just set a chrome church on fire in GA with some graffiti supposedly by the non-chromed, and it turned out to be a member of the church, of the  same shade of chrome?
Not sure.  Did they?  Since I heard about this Russian parish incident via Poland, I think you and Mike might both know more than me.  :D

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Ainnir said:
ialmisry said:
Ainnir said:
William T said:
Mor Ephrem said:

Not sure.  Did they?  Since I heard about this Russian parish incident via Poland, I think you and Mike might both know more than me.  :D
A lot of Eastern Europeans I know who live here in the USA tell me that a lot of the issues Russians, Poles, Ukies, etc focus on when talking about the United States don't make much sense to us as issues.  They said we often do the same to them.  Which is one reason why I thought there might be a bit of a "lost in translation" problem.

I think I can relate, even with less exotic aspects in my life.  Usually when I see people in the South, or New York city talk about Ohio, Michigan, or even Chicago I often think they are usually off the mark.  I'm.sure I do that to southern people as it's a bit off from my cultural norms.

Also:

My issue with being called a minority isn't so much about whether orthodoxy is or isn't a minority or not.  Part of my issue with that I consider that secondary.  The word "minority" as something of a primary concern, when in relation to an article like this, tends to downplay the actual actors and groups involved.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
William T said:
A lot of Eastern Europeans I know who live here in the USA tell me that a lot of the issues Russians, Poles, Ukies, etc focus on when talking about the United States don't make much sense to us as issues.  They said we often do the same to them.  Which is one reason why I thought there might be a bit of a "lost in translation" problem.

I think I can relate, even with less exotic aspects in my life.  Usually when I see people in the South, or New York city talk about Ohio, Michigan, or even Chicago I often think they are usually off the mark.  I'm.sure I do that to southern people as it's a bit off from my cultural norms.

Also:

My issue with being called a minority isn't so much about whether orthodoxy is or isn't a minority or not.  Part of my issue with that I consider that secondary.  The word "minority" as something of a primary concern, when in relation to an article like this, tends to downplay the actual actors and groups involved.
I agree, if I understand correctly.  Putting that or similar language forward from the start obscures the view to the individuals who have to wake up the next morning and the next and deal with the damage.  And it might even run directly counter to what their own perception, reaction, or desire is.  We can't really know what that is without them saying.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
mike said:
xOrthodox4Christx said:
Did you?
Is there something specific you want me to enumerate? I understand why we should worry about... say, Islamic jihad. Kind of obvious on that one, but when rhetoric against Islam and foreigners is too strong, the uneducated can take it in ways that are unwarranted. I don't think there's anything controversial in that statement, and that's probably what happened here. Probably. It might be something entirely different though, I know one Church was attacked by a mentally unstable/sick individual, and it had nothing to do with Christianophobia or general Xenophobia or ignorance.