Monasticism - Catholicism and Orthodoxy

Reaction score
Ignatius I am coming to understand that perhaps you never belonged to Catholic church, and that you actualy are a schsmatic dressed like catholic to make catholics to hesitate about their churches. It is like if you were playing the tactics of a catholic that makes others to feel abandoned, that is what you really are doing, but that game doesn't work with me, If you want to leave, right, go at once. But stop sniveling. other way We will be sure that you are really a schismatic agent dressed like a false doubtful catholic.

Liz

High Elder
Reaction score
Alonso_castillo said:
Ignatius I am coming to understand that perhaps you never belonged to Catholic church, and that you actualy are a schsmatic dressed like catholic to make actholics to hesitate about their churches. It is lijke if you were playing the tactics of a catholic that makes others to feel abandoned, that is what you really are doing, but that game doesn't work with me, If you want to leave, right go at once. But stop sniveling. other way We will be sure that you are really a schismatic agent dressed like a false doubtful catholic.
Goodness ... well, I've read a fair few of Ignatius' posts, it doesn't sound as if he's a 'schismatic agent'.

This topic is becoming rather like a Monty Python sketch!

ignatius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Alonso_castillo said:
Ignatius I am coming to understand that perhaps you never belonged to Catholic church, and that you actualy are a schsmatic dressed like catholic to make catholics to hesitate about their churches. It is like if you were playing the tactics of a catholic that makes others to feel abandoned, that is what you really are doing, but that game doesn't work with me, If you want to leave, right, go at once. But stop sniveling. other way We will be sure that you are really a schismatic agent dressed like a false doubtful catholic.
Oh, that is so lame. A schismatic agent of the Orthodox... If that worked for me that would be great. The problem is the Orthodox think I'm a heretical agent of the Catholics...  ::)

No place to lay me head... I guess.  :-\

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Liz said:
Alonso_castillo said:
Ignatius I am coming to understand that perhaps you never belonged to Catholic church, and that you actualy are a schsmatic dressed like catholic to make actholics to hesitate about their churches. It is lijke if you were playing the tactics of a catholic that makes others to feel abandoned, that is what you really are doing, but that game doesn't work with me, If you want to leave, right go at once. But stop sniveling. other way We will be sure that you are really a schismatic agent dressed like a false doubtful catholic.
Goodness ... well, I've read a fair few of Ignatius' posts, it doesn't sound as if he's a 'schismatic agent'.

This topic is becoming rather like a Monty Python sketch!
" Only the true Messiah would deny his divinity!..."

Reaction score
ignatius said:
Alonso_castillo said:
Oh, that is so lame. A schismatic agent of the Orthodox... If that worked for me that would be great. The problem is the Orthodox think I'm a heretical agent of the Catholics...  ::)

No place to lay me head... I guess.  :-\
YOU ARE CATHOLIC, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO AFTER. But if you want to drop out the ship and go ahead by swiming no problem, we keep in the ship of Peter.

ignatius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Alonso_castillo said:
YOU ARE CATHOLIC, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO AFTER. But if you want to drop out the ship and go ahead by swiming no problem, we keep in the ship of Peter.
I think I now understand the reformation. They looked at each Church fighting over who had grace and who had jurisdiction and they finally determined that they'd just have to brave it alone.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alonso_castillo said:
Are you an Orthodox pretending to be Catholic, so you can make Catholics look dumb? Because you're doing a great job!

Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Alonso_castillo said:
Are you an Orthodox pretending to be Catholic, so you can make Catholics look dumb? Because you're doing a great job!
May be who knows.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alonso_castillo said:
Dear Brother,
What you have posted above does not sound like Ignatius at all. While I definitely don't aprove of his schismatic actions, his posters, for years now, appear to be very genuine. He sounds like a man who is truely struggling and does not always know quite where he belongs. The situation in which he finds himself is a very difficult one and I don't envy him. I truely believe that he is trying his best to serve the Lord in the best way he knows how. It may be the wrong decision, but I do believe he is genuine about it. Rather than verbally attacking him, why not show him some love and pray for him. If you had been kinder to him, perhaps that example would have been the very thing that would have kept him in the Ark of Salvation. Just some things to think about.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
ignatius said:
Alonso_castillo said:
Oh, that is so lame. A schismatic agent of the Orthodox... If that worked for me that would be great. The problem is the Orthodox think I'm a heretical agent of the Catholics...  ::)

No place to lay me head... I guess.  :-\
Well, I am certainly not perfect, but I consider you my brother in Christ. If any of my posts have offended you, please forgive me.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Alonso_castillo said:
That's probably not going to help the situation.

ignatius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Papist said:
Dear Brother,
What you have posted above does not sound like Ignatius at all. While I definitely don't aprove of his schismatic actions, his posters, for years now, appear to be very genuine. He sounds like a man who is truely struggling and does not always know quite where he belongs. The situation in which he finds himself is a very difficult one and I don't envy him. I truely believe that he is trying his best to serve the Lord in the best way he knows how. It may be the wrong decision, but I do believe he is genuine about it. Rather than verbally attacking him, why not show him some love and pray for him. If you had been kinder to him, perhaps that example would have been the very thing that would have kept him in the Ark of Salvation. Just some things to think about.
No, No, No... my actions are nobodies fault except my own and those of my Priests, seriously. Saturday at Confession was kinda like the straw that broke the camels back. Far more Orthodox here slamming sincere Catholics trying to work out their salvation in fear and trembling has served more to drawing me to defense them but I honestly can't defend the Catholic Church in America, especially in my neck fo the woods. It is absolutely anti-Catholic Catechism, anti-moral code, pro-license.

That said we really should get this thread back on target.

What does 'you' Church encourage you to do as a spiritual/ascetic discipline? I've honestly never saw a Catholic praying the rosary at my parish, except during the RCIA session on the Rosary.

ignatius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Jakub said:
Seeing someone recite the Rosary is like the use of incense and candles at a Catholic Mass... 0
I have about a 20 minute drive into work every morning which I often say the Trisagion and the Jesus Prayer. My daughter and I pray the Trisagion every evening together with a few added prayers for friends, family, those suffering and those who have passed on. The Orthodox Parish I attend also has a 'rule for home prayer' although we don't tend to make it through that one before my daughter (7 years old) tires out ;-)

Heracleides

Elder
Reaction score
ignatius said:
Jakub said:
Seeing someone recite the Rosary is like the use of incense and candles at a Catholic Mass... 0
I have about a 20 minute drive into work every morning which I often say the Trisagion and the Jesus Prayer. My daughter and I pray the Trisagion every evening together with a few added prayers for friends, family, those suffering and those who have passed on. The Orthodox Parish I attend also has a 'rule for home prayer' although we don't tend to make it through that one before my daughter (7 years old) tires out ;-)
Ignatius, you put me to shame. Only a catechumen and you are already much further ahead than I on the journey (both before and after my conversion from Catholicism to Orthodoxy).  I say that without any false humility.  I have baited you in the past and ask your forgiveness. Godspeed.

Mickey

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
ignatius said:
What does 'you' Church encourage you to do as a spiritual/ascetic discipline?
Prayer rule--morning and evening prayer with family. Frequent reading of Scriptures. Spiritual reading pertaining to lives of saints, Church Fathers, theology, etc.  The Jesus Prayer.  Fasting when appropriate.

It is imperative to find a good spiritual father.  :)

Reaction score
ignatius said:
Papist said:
Dear Brother,
No, No, No... my actions are nobodies fault except my own and those of my Priests, seriously. Saturday at Confession was kinda like the straw that broke the camels back. Far more Orthodox here slamming sincere Catholics trying to work out their salvation in fear and trembling has served more to drawing me to defense them but I honestly can't defend the Catholic Church in America, especially in my neck fo the woods. It is absolutely anti-Catholic Catechism, anti-moral code, pro-license.

That said we really should get this thread back on target.

What does 'you' Church encourage you to do as a spiritual/ascetic discipline? I've honestly never saw a Catholic praying the rosary at my parish, except during the RCIA session on the Rosary.
How long have you been preaticing the Liturgy of the Hours?

Here is a good Link for the daily prayer.

http://divineoffice.org/

Jan 26, Morning Prayer for Tuesday of the 3rd week of Ordinary Time

Hymn: Nada te turbe (Taize chant from poem by St Teresa of Avila)
Translation:
May nothing disturb you.
May nothing astonish you.
Everything passes.
God does not go away.
Patience can attain anything.
He who has God within,
does not lack anything.
God is everything!*

Psalm 85 — Our salvation is near
Antiphon 1: Lord, you have blessed your land; you have forgiven the sins of your people.

.2 O Lord, you once favored your land
and revived the fortunes of Jacob,
.3 you forgave the guilt of your people
and covered all their sins.
.4 You averted all your rage,
you calmed the heat of your anger.

.5 Revive us now, God, our helper!
Put an end to your grievance against us.
.6 Will you be angry with us for ever,
will your anger never cease?

.7 Will you not restore again our life
that your people may rejoice in you?
.8 Let us see, O Lord, your mercy
and give us your saving help.

.9 I will hear what the Lord God has to say,
a voice that speaks of peace,
peace for his people and his friends
and those who turn to him in their hearts.
.10 His help is near for those who fear him
and his glory will dwell in our land.

.11 Mercy and faithfulness have met;
justice and peace have embraced.
.12 Faithfulness shall spring from the earth
and justice look down from heaven.

.13 The Lord will make us prosper
and our earth shall yield its fruit.
.14 Justice shall march before him
and peace shall follow his steps.

Canticle: Isaiah 26:1-4, 7-9, 12 –Hymn after the defeat of the enemy
Antiphon 2: My soul has yearned for you in the night, and as morning breaks I watch for your coming.

Psalm 67 – People of all nations will worship the Lord
Antiphon 3: Lord, let the light of your face shine upon us.

.2 O God, be gracious and bless us
and let your face shed its light upon us.
.3 So will your ways be known upon earth
and all nations learn your saving help.

.4 Let the peoples praise you, O God;
let all the peoples praise you.

.5 Let the nations be glad and exult
for you rule the world with justice.
With fairness you rule the peoples,
you guide the nations on earth.

.6 Let the peoples praise you, O God;
let all the peoples praise you.

.7 The earth has yielded its fruit
for God, our God, has blessed us.
.8 May God still give us his blessing
till the ends of the earth revere him.

Reading: 1 John 4:14-15

14 Moreover, we have seen and testify that the Father sent his Son as savior of the world.
15 Whoever acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God remains in him and he in God.

Canticle of Zechariah
Antiphon: God has raised up for us a mighty Savior, as he promised of old through the holy prophets.

Intercessions
Antiphon: Remember your people, Lord

Our Father …

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

ignatius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Alonso_castillo said:
How long have you been preaticing the Liturgy of the Hours?

Here is a good Link for the daily prayer.

http://divineoffice.org/

Jan 26, Morning Prayer for Tuesday of the 3rd week of Ordinary Time
Actually, I have all that in my iPhone... I like the Liturgy of the Hours. I've prayed it for years. Not Christian Prayer but the actual four volume Set Liturgy of the Hours. In Orthodoxy, they still pray the Old Divine Hours but I don't manage to attend them all with the Parish. Mostly just Wednesday Vespers and Great Vespers on Saturday. I haven't been attending the Divine Liturgy on Sundays because I've still been attending my Catholic Parish on Sundays but I'm feeling that will be coming to a stop as I enter into the Catechumenate but the Catholic Liturgy of the Hours was probably the best thing that came out of Vatican II. to simply it and make it available to everyone was a great idea. I only wish it was incorporated into the life of the Parishes more fully.