• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Monks of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra Stand between the Protesters and Riot Police

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
8,017
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
75
Location
South Carolina
A rough Google translation:

"This morning the monks of the Kiev -Pechersk Lavra Father Gabriel , Father Melchizedek and Father Ephraim began on the street. Hrushevskoho in Kiev with a cross and icons between protesters and " Berkut " and stop the confrontation . They came out as peacemakers , not to take sides."

Original at: http://www.pravoslavie.ru/news/67755.htm
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) said:
A rough Google translation:

"This morning the monks of the Kiev -Pechersk Lavra Father Gabriel , Father Melchizedek and Father Ephraim began on the street. Hrushevskoho in Kiev with a cross and icons between protesters and " Berkut " and stop the confrontation . They came out as peacemakers , not to take sides."

Original at: http://www.pravoslavie.ru/news/67755.htm
I saw a video tape of this event, but it was not in English. There was no explanation in English on that site.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,509
Reaction score
268
Points
83
Age
41
What laws are they trying to get repealed (as the article seemingly mentions)?

Michał Kalina said:
How terrible. Not in English. How dare they.
I'm fairly certain that she was not making a comment rooted in some perceived entitlement related to her native language/culture, but was only making a comment related to understanding the story in the OP (which mentioned a "rough Google translation").
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Asteriktos said:
What laws are they trying to get repealed (as the article seemingly mentions)?

Michał Kalina said:
How terrible. Not in English. How dare they.
I'm fairly certain that she was not making a comment rooted in some perceived entitlement related to her native language/culture, but was only making a comment related to understanding the story in the OP (which mentioned a "rough Google translation").
Exactly, I saw the video yesterday of a civil riot, and wanted to post it here. Since there was neither an explanation in English, nor anyway to obtain a rough Google translation of the video,  I could not post it or I would be in violation of the rules here.

Here in the USA, we are not getting much in the way of international news, especially what is going on in Kiev and elsewhere in the Baltic states.

Are churches and monasteries being destroyed?
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Michał Kalina said:
How could you see that yesterday when it started Tuesday morning?
I saw it late last night, Monday, so that would be Tuesday morning your time.


[Edited to correct Mike's post, and adjust mine.]
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
Maria said:
Michał Kalina said:
How could you see that yesterday when it started Monday morning?
I saw it late last night, so that would be Monday morning your time.
I edited my post.

http://orthodoxy.org.ua/data/4-svyashchennika-ostanovili-stolknovenie-na-ul-grushevskogo-prizyvayut-storony-k-miru-i

And this is original story.
 

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
7,220
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
The Ozark Mountains
Asteriktos said:
What laws are they trying to get repealed (as the article seemingly mentions)?

Michał Kalina said:
How terrible. Not in English. How dare they.
I'm fairly certain that she was not making a comment rooted in some perceived entitlement related to her native language/culture, but was only making a comment related to understanding the story in the OP (which mentioned a "rough Google translation").
EDIT; un-charitable comment removed.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,509
Reaction score
268
Points
83
Age
41
Michał Kalina said:
Maria said:
Michał Kalina said:
How could you see that yesterday when it started Monday morning?
I saw it late last night, so that would be Monday morning your time.
I edited my post.

http://orthodoxy.org.ua/data/4-svyashchennika-ostanovili-stolknovenie-na-ul-grushevskogo-prizyvayut-storony-k-miru-i

And this is original story.
The video in the link you posted (this one) was uploaded on January 20th, which was Monday here...
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Asteriktos said:
Michał Kalina said:
Maria said:
Michał Kalina said:
How could you see that yesterday when it started Monday morning?
I saw it late last night, so that would be Monday morning your time.
I edited my post.

http://orthodoxy.org.ua/data/4-svyashchennika-ostanovili-stolknovenie-na-ul-grushevskogo-prizyvayut-storony-k-miru-i

And this is original story.
The video in the link you posted (this one) was uploaded on January 20th, which was Monday here...
Thank you. I thought I had seen that video on January 20th.
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
GabrieltheCelt said:
Asteriktos said:
What laws are they trying to get repealed (as the article seemingly mentions)?

Michał Kalina said:
How terrible. Not in English. How dare they.
I'm fairly certain that she was not making a comment rooted in some perceived entitlement related to her native language/culture, but was only making a comment related to understanding the story in the OP (which mentioned a "rough Google translation").
EDIT; un-charitable comment removed.
Don't worry, seen that.

Asteriktos said:
The video in the link you posted (this one) was uploaded on January 20th, which was Monday here...
Maybe. Those funny time zones. Reminds me of a joke but it's political.
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Here is the news in the BBC.

Strange how we in the USA must cross the pond to get information about Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25833826

Only one picture of the Orthodox hieromonk and two monks is shown in the BBC pictures linked above.
This is a wonderful statement and photo. Good witness for the bravery of our monks and hieromonks.


 

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
1,567
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Maria said:
Here is the news in the BBC.

Strange how we in the USA must cross the pond to get information about Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25833826
The news story of the protests have been in "The Washington Post" & "The New York Times" during the time period of the protests as well as on TV.
Today's news:http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/in-ukraine-relative-calm-as-both-sides-await-outcome-of-talks/2014/01/23/300519d8-8433-11e3-8099-9181471f7aaf_story.html?hpid=z3

Yesterday:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/01/21/ukraines-protests-are-back-heres-why/
 
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
2,737
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Asteriktos said:
What laws are they trying to get repealed (as the article seemingly mentions)?

Michał Kalina said:
How terrible. Not in English. How dare they.
I'm fairly certain that she was not making a comment rooted in some perceived entitlement related to her native language/culture, but was only making a comment related to understanding the story in the OP (which mentioned a "rough Google translation").
They want repeal of anti protest laws passed last week but mainly affiliation between Ukraine and EU to give rule of law and stability to the country which is being run by thieves.  Now the government is trying to bust up the protests and killing people.  The protests are being infiltrated by government thugs as well as radical neo Nazis who are taking things off message. 

The Church is the most highly respected institution in Ukraine today. 
 
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
2,737
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) said:
A rough Google translation:

"This morning the monks of the Kiev -Pechersk Lavra Father Gabriel , Father Melchizedek and Father Ephraim began on the street. Hrushevskoho in Kiev with a cross and icons between protesters and " Berkut " and stop the confrontation . They came out as peacemakers , not to take sides."

Original at: http://www.pravoslavie.ru/news/67755.htm
Note that these are monks of the UOC-MP. 

The UOC-KP famously gave shelter to protesters last month in St Michaels monastery after the first attack. 

The UGCC sent a lot of priests in to hear confessions and such from their faithful who are protesting. 

And the pastor of the local Lutheran Church also went out between the police and the protesters to avert violence last week. 
 
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
2,737
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Yurysprudentsiya said:
Asteriktos said:
What laws are they trying to get repealed (as the article seemingly mentions)?

Michał Kalina said:
How terrible. Not in English. How dare they.
I'm fairly certain that she was not making a comment rooted in some perceived entitlement related to her native language/culture, but was only making a comment related to understanding the story in the OP (which mentioned a "rough Google translation").
They want repeal of anti protest laws passed last week but mainly affiliation between Ukraine and EU to give rule of law and stability to the country which is being run by thieves.  Now the government is trying to bust up the protests and killing people.   The protests are being infiltrated by government thugs as well as radical neo Nazis who are taking things off message. 

The Church is the most highly respected institution in Ukraine today. 
I understand that Met. Volodymyr, who heads the UOC-MP and was a moderate voice in the ecclesiastical disputes, generally respected by all, is in very bad health, having made no appearances at Christmas. 
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
Yurysprudentsiya said:
Note that these are monks of the UOC-MP. 

The UOC-KP famously gave shelter to protesters last month in St Michaels monastery after the first attack. 

The UGCC sent a lot of priests in to hear confessions and such from their faithful who are protesting. 

And the pastor of the local Lutheran Church also went out between the police and the protesters to avert violence last week. 
KP and UGCC called people to protest against the government. UOC was the only one that officially did not support neither side but called for peace and talks. It even oferred its facilities for negotiations.
 

Serg-antr

Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2012
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Kiev
A rough Google translation:

"When we were at a prayer night duty, they were trying to use us as a human shield  Several times the guys from the barricades, as if nothing had happened, his fence stile and came to us from the back. "
"Using our bodies (excuse the pun), they also began to build up against the us another barricade. So what are some of those standing in prayer, not wanting to be the unwitting accomplice, just left the place. And the construction stopped. Us, our neutrality certainly shamelessly used,   We have also seen that in this way barrikadniki used and correspondents operators with cameras.

It was funny to see quite an incredible scene when stopped for a minute and bombing and shooting, behind the barricades, not very hurriedly went one or two people, and, as if nothing had happened, almost at the feet of Berkut collected nedobroshennye cobblestones and attributed them " back home "! That they have run out of ammo. The soldiers were forced behind this, not moving to watch because of their shields. And then, on the return of "mushroom picker" cannonade began again. "

"That is precisely this meanness when your neutrality and enjoy shooting because of your back, knowing that the other side in response to not be able to aim at the worshipers, and could not stand the tithes of the monastery. They have gone the same way you came, religious procession, carrying their shrines. Because of their good intentions tried to use explicit evil "

http://zavtra.ru/content/view/pravoslavnaya-molitva-i-koktejl-molotova-nad-golovoj/
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Michał Kalina said:
Yurysprudentsiya said:
Note that these are monks of the UOC-MP.  

The UOC-KP famously gave shelter to protesters last month in St Michaels monastery after the first attack.  

The UGCC sent a lot of priests in to hear confessions and such from their faithful who are protesting.  

And the pastor of the local Lutheran Church also went out between the police and the protesters to avert violence last week.  
KP and UGCC called people to protest against the government. UOC was the only one that officially did not support neither side but called for peace and talks. It even oferred its facilities for negotiations.
No a big suprise since they are part of the MP. I wouldn't be anyhow suprised if they were explicitly forbidden to support protests even if they personally wanted.
 

podkarpatska

Merarches
Joined
Oct 24, 2009
Messages
9,732
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Northeast United States
Website
www.acrod.org
Alpo said:
Michał Kalina said:
Yurysprudentsiya said:
Note that these are monks of the UOC-MP.  

The UOC-KP famously gave shelter to protesters last month in St Michaels monastery after the first attack.  

The UGCC sent a lot of priests in to hear confessions and such from their faithful who are protesting.  

And the pastor of the local Lutheran Church also went out between the police and the protesters to avert violence last week.  
KP and UGCC called people to protest against the government. UOC was the only one that officially did not support neither side but called for peace and talks. It even oferred its facilities for negotiations.
No a big suprise since they are part of the MP. I wouldn't be anyhow suprised if they were explicitly forbidden to support protests even if they personally wanted.
Loyalty to Moscow will be tested if push comes to shove within the UOC-MP.
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
Alpo said:
No a big suprise since they are part of the MP. I wouldn't be anyhow suprised if they were explicitly forbidden to support protests even if they personally wanted.
Why should a Church officially support one political option?
 
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
2,737
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Michał Kalina said:
Alpo said:
No a big suprise since they are part of the MP. I wouldn't be anyhow suprised if they were explicitly forbidden to support protests even if they personally wanted.
Why should a Church officially support one political option?
Ask the Russians with respect to Russkiy Mir. 
 

podkarpatska

Merarches
Joined
Oct 24, 2009
Messages
9,732
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Northeast United States
Website
www.acrod.org
Michał Kalina said:
Yurysprudentsiya said:
Ask the Russians with respect to Russkiy Mir.  
We are talking Ukraine in this thread.
It is difficult, if not impossible, not to include Russia in any rational discussion about Ukraine especially one about the current political situation and its impact on Ukrainian Eastern Christianity - the MP per se, the UOC-MP, UOC-KP, UAOC and UGCC.
 

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
0
Points
0
An update: (Copied from the link below)

"Monks in Kiev are back between the barricades"



Kiev, January 24, 2014

At approximately 19:30 yesterday, the priests who stopped the conflicts on Grushevsky Street on the morning of January 21 have returned to their post between the barricades, reports Orthodoxy in the Ukraine.

We and the brothers of the Desyatina Monastery decided to renew our prayer vigil between the sides at enmity,” wrote Archimadrite Alipy (Svetlichny), one of the participants of “Nights on Grushevsky” on his facebook page.

“At 20:00 the truce may be over. And we have to get there before then to occupy the area in the center. At 18:45 we will gather on the square before the Catholic church of St. Alexander, since it is the most convenient place on the Kreshchatik, and we will leave from there.”

* * *

One of the initiators of the vigil on January 21, father confessor of the Decyatina Monastery Hieromonk Melchisedek, wrote on his facebook page after re-entering the arena:

“We are going back to form a human chain between brothers who have had a fight and can’t find the right words in their defense!

“Forgive me brothers, because I have sinned grievously before you! For I also forgive you, who have offended me to the very depths of my soul! Let there be peace and love between us! God, bless us!

“PEACE TO THE UKRAINE! GOD HELP US, FOR YOU ARE ALL-POWERFUL!”



http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/67835.htm
 
Top