• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Monothelitism and OO

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Outside the Church
Jurisdiction
Lost for now.
What exactly is the position of Monothelitism and the Oriental Orthodox Church? Obviously the theological opinion was formed to appease the OO Church, but how so? And why do the Orientals accept it if they (seemingly) do accept it?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
LivenotoneviL said:
What exactly is the position of Monothelitism and the Oriental Orthodox Church? Obviously the theological opinion was formed to appease the OO Church, but how so? And why do the Orientals accept it if they (seemingly) do accept it?
Monothelitism is an EO heresy that has nothing to do with us.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
There’s a cool feature this forum has. If you look at the upper right-hand corner of the site, you’ll see a little white box with the word “search” next to it.

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Outside the Church
Jurisdiction
Lost for now.
However, Iconodule, it's hard to find exactly what I'm looking for. Other than Mina suggesting that it isn't really heretical, and it brought up, only for someone to say "that's not related to us."

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
LivenotoneviL said:
However, Iconodule, it's hard to find exactly what I'm looking for. Other than Mina suggesting that it isn't really heretical, and it brought up, only for someone to say "that's not related to us."
What are you looking for?  Centuries of OO literature discussing something that was never our issue as if it was our issue because the people whose issue it really was decided to make us their scapegoat so they could pretend they never had any issues at all?  Sorry, we were too busy being killed.

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Outside the Church
Jurisdiction
Lost for now.
Specifically, even though it wasn't your problem, what is the position? Does Christ have one will, or does he have two wills, with one will submitted to the other will?

NJC

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Coptic Orthodox Church - Australia
LivenotoneviL said:
Specifically, even though it wasn't your problem, what is the position? Does Christ have one will, or does he have two wills, with one will submitted to the other will?
"THE ORTHODOX UNDERSTANDING OF THE WILL OF CHRIST
By Abouna Peter Farrington

I am most grateful for the emails you have sent, and which provide a useful set of criteria with which to consider the topic of the will in Christ. I am especially glad that you have taken time to consider some of the obstacles to understanding which might be presented, and have explained your own understanding of this subject so clearly and precisely. It does help, because when I engage with some Eastern Orthodox online I find myself presented with views which appear to be heterodox, even by Eastern Orthodox theological authorities, or else reduce themselves to a polemical insistence on counting two wills rather than one.

I have, until now, hesitated to delve too deeply into the teachings of Maximos the Confessor on this subject because I have always thought of him, rightly or wrongly, as adding to the polemical quality of the seventh century, when it seems to me that there was always to a great extent an agreement on the substance of the matter which could have been discovered. Nevertheless, as I have been in any case, preparing material to write a paper on the issue of will in the teachings of Severus of Antioch, it is absolutely necessary that I consider Maximos the Confessor honestly and open-mindedly. Indeed I bought Father Andrew Louth’s edition of some of the writings of Maximos the Confessor last night and have it downloaded to my tablet and smartphone and I have been reading the most relevant portions. I will refer to Maximos and Severus in this response because my great devotion to Severus could not be increased by insisting on using the term saint, and my respect for Maximos and for you might be seen as being lacking if I do not use the term saint only in regard to him."

http://www.stgeorgeministry.com/orthodox-understanding-will-christ/

Text shorted to conform with forum rules.  Please keep the rules about posting articles in mind, NJC.
Thanks,
-Ainnir

NJC

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Coptic Orthodox Church - Australia
My apologies Ainnir, i will remember in the future. Thank you

God bless

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Mor Ephrem said:
LivenotoneviL said:
What are you looking for?  Centuries of OO literature discussing something that was never our issue as if it was our issue because the people whose issue it really was decided to make us their scapegoat so they could pretend they never had any issues at all?  Sorry, we were too busy being killed.
It's true that monotheletism was a Chalcedonian problem but, if Fr Georges Florovsky is right, Severus of Antioch was the first theologian to seriously consider the question of Christ's will and energy (using St Dionysius' phrase "new theandric energy"), so his thoughts would be relevant to this discussion (No, I am not suggesting he is a precursor to monotheletism/energism). So it wasn't a foreign question for the OO's. But I think this has already been talked about elsewhere.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
The EO church had the misfortune, and the OO church the blessing, to be mired in and to be free of, diverse heresies, respectively, but this I think was largely a product of the Roman Church slowly and tragically losing the doctrinal and ecclesiastical stability which it was famed for, as early as the fourth century, as it capitulated to thentemptation of pride resulting from its reputation for extreme Orthodoxy, which we find mentioned in various contemporary sources.  So the ostensibly extremely conservative Roman church began ordaining a series of very bad Archbishops, Pope Leo, who bizarrely decided to style himself Pontifex Maximus, the title of the chief priest of Roman Paganism - which had fallen into abeyance when that religion was suppressed under St. Theodosius, and then managed to hire the most universally execrated pope, Honorius I, who even by their own admission was a heretic.

Honorius did not invent Monothelitism, but his endorsement of it surely gave it cachet, a certain allure, which helped it hold sway over the easily bedazzled Emperors in Constantinople, who, surrounded by their armies of Eunuch-slaves, waged a war against Orthodoxy by repeatedly trying to impose upon their Church via their imperial power one heresy after another.  St. Maximus hadnthe courage to resist, and they cut his tongue out.

The goal of Monothelitism it is alleged was to provide some sort of neo-Henoticon to reconcile the OOs, and I have read somewhere that it initially hadnthisneffect in Egypt, but given the lack of a Monothelite church there, I have my doubts.

It may well however be responsible for the tragic alienation of the Maronites from everyone else, until the Crusades and their union with Rome; I have heard various allegations that Monothelitism was the lighted match which ignited the tragic schism between the Maronites and the Syriac Orthodox Church.