• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Montreal

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
I may be visiting Montreal sometime this year, and am interested in any recommendations you may have for a church to visit while I’m there. Eastern or Oriental Orthodox, old or new calendar, parish or monastery.

Go!

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
Alors!

I was in Montreal for a long rail layover during the Nativity festal period many years ago....if I'd have known then what you have just imparted....!

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction
OCA
I haven't been there on a Sunday or feast day in quite a while, so I wouldn't know which direction to point you in when it comes to Orthodox parishes. It's certainly an interesting place to visit. North American, but polyglot with French and English dominating (depending on where you go or who you run into). A couple of things to remember: no right turns on a red light on the island of Montreal. If this was allowed, it would probably result in the death of half the pedestrian population of the city. (I'm only half joking!) And I don't know if it's still like this, but not too long ago traffic lights in the east end of Montreal were interpreted differently than in the rest of Canada and the U.S. : Green meant "go" (just like everywhere else), yellow meant "go like heck", and red meant "proceed with caution." So there you are. ;)

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
And I don't know if it's still like this, but not too long ago traffic lights in the east end of Montreal were interpreted differently than in the rest of Canada and the U.S. : Green meant "go" (just like everywhere else), yellow meant "go like heck", and red meant "proceed with caution."
More proof that French Canada is Latin America.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
I haven't been there on a Sunday or feast day in quite a while, so I wouldn't know which direction to point you in when it comes to Orthodox parishes. It's certainly an interesting place to visit. North American, but polyglot with French and English dominating (depending on where you go or who you run into). A couple of things to remember:
It was long, long ago....but I do remember that even a poorly accented "merci" or "sil vous plait" would literally result in doors being held opened rather than slammed shut.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Maronia and Komotini
I may be visiting Montreal sometime this year, and am interested in any recommendations you may have for a church to visit while I’m there. Eastern or Oriental Orthodox, old or new calendar, parish or monastery.

Go!
Hello!
You can visit the female monastery of Saint Kosmas the Aitolian in Bolton, Ontario, founded by Elder Ephraim of Arizona and owned by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada.
Another monastery that you can visit is the female monastery of Our Lady in Quebec which was founded by Elder Ephraim of Arizona and belongs to the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada.
Also, you can visit the male monastery of Holy Protection in Wentworth which belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Western Europe under Archbishop Vladimir.
God bless you always!

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
UOCC
Saint Nicholas Cathedral (ROCOR) is there and is the home church of Archbishop Gabriel.

St. George Church (Antiochian) is also quite nice.

St. George Cathedral (Greek) has some interesting aesthetics. Not to my taste, but interesting.

Even though it's Roman Catholic, I highly recommend visiting Notre-Dame Basilica. It's one of the most stunning churches in North America.

As for monasteries, one of Elder Ephraim's is located just over an hour's drive away from the Montreal in Brownsburg (Monastery of the Virgin Mary of Consolation). St. Kosmas Aitolos Monastery, also one of Elder Ephraim's, recommended above is more than six hours away on the other side of Toronto in Ontario.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
I strongly recommend avoiding going during a fasting period and eating poutine as much as your body (or your podvig against the logismoi of gluttony) can take it.
Poutine is good, but not enough to damn your soul by eating it more than a hundred times.