• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Most Detailed Theology Of Virginity

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
jbt.name
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
I'm fairly familiar with the Patristic teachings on marriage, but was looking to enhance my understanding of the theology behind a life of virginity. Apart from (modern) books read years ago and snippets spread throughout other studies, I just got through reading a more formal treatise on the subject, which was full of Aristotelean teachings, strawmen, and rhetorical flourishes but extraordinarily devoid of any usable Orthodox explanation. I don't have the time or energy to go through more stuff like that. So, does anyone know what the best and/or most complete Orthodox sermon/treatise/etc on virginity is, by a saint, that is instructive rather than hagiographical? Thanks!

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Like how to live a life of virginity?

hurrrah

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
Naked links removed. You can post them again with a description of what is on the other side, or allowing the auto-generated preview.~Arachne

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
Isn’t the basic commandment of not committing adultery call us to be virgins with the exception of bearing children within marriage? Surely we all fall short and need to confess our sins as we struggle and stumble.