• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Mount Calvary/Golgotha: Place of Adam's Skull.

Xavier

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
marianapostolate.com
Man was created on the Sixth Day and on the Sixth Day he was redeemed. Adam stretched out his hand to a tree to sin, Jesus Christ Our Lord stretched out His hands on a Tree to atone. There is a long tradition that our first father Adam was buried in Golgotha - the Evangelists call it the place of the skull bearing witness to this. It is also the spot where Abraham was called to sacrifice his son and the high priest Melchizedech made an offering of bread and wine. There is a chapel of Adam near the Holy Sepulchre and directly under Calvary to this day; the chapel depicts that the ground was cracked by the earthquake that the blood of Christ may fall upon the head of our first father Adam, immediately regenerating him and us from the effects of the fall. How marvelous are the ways of divine Providence! http://www.catholickingdom.com/People/Dominique/Archive/inline/FF_97.html and http://www.sepulchre.custodia.org/default.asp?id=4106

Chapel of Adam
"And Jesus answered and said: Blessed art thou, Bartholomew, my beloved, because thou sawest this mystery, and now will I tell thee all things whatsoever thou askest me. For when I vanished away from the cross, then went I down into Hades that I might bring up Adam and all them that were with him, according to the supplication of Michael the archangel. "(The Apocryphal Gospel of Bartholomew)
Chapel of Adam
Directly beneath Calvary, the Chapel of Adam is one of the oldest in the church.
In the apse can be seen the crack in the rock caused, according to the earliest Christian tradition, by the earthquake which occurred at the moment of Jesus’ death. The crack was said to have allowed Christ’s blood to fall upon, and thereby redeem, Adam who was thought to have been buried here.
For the first Christians this was also the origin of the name Golgotha: the place of the skull. This tradition has inspired the iconography of the Cross, which places a skull and rivulets of blood at the foot of the Cross, and frequently a small cave ...

The origin of the name of Calvary is an Ancient Hebrew tradition which has been passed down for centuries, both before and after Christ. This belief has since been supported by private revelations, which have been approved by the Catholic Church. Among these are the famous revelations of the German nun, Anne Catherine Emmerich.

According to Anne Catherine, after Adam was banished from Paradise, he wept over his sin in the same grotto on Mount Olivet where Jesus would later sweat blood and water during His agony. Seth, the son of Adam and Eve, who was born to them as a consolation for Abel's death, was promised to Eve in the grotto of the holy manger of Bethlehem, and in that same grotto she gave birth to him.

Golgotha, or Calvary, which means ‘the place of the skull’ is the place where Jesus died. Many centuries earlier, the Prophet Eliseus was shown that buried deep within the hill of Calvary, were the bones, and skull, of Adam. The Holy Prophet wished to take the skull away with him, but his Angel companion told him that this was forbidden. Because of this revelation to Eliseus, the hill of Calvary came to be called Golgotha - ‘the place of the skull’, Adam’s skull.

It was on this same hill of Calvary that Our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified. The Cross which Jesus died on, for the sin of Adam, was placed on Golgotha - directly over the skull of Adam. And this same location is the exact center of the earth.

There have been many times in history that such amazing ‘coincidences’, as some might call it, have occurred. But there is no such thing as a ‘coincidence’ with God. Nothing happens ‘on accident’.