• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Movies that made you cry!

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I think it's time for another fun thread on OC.net. And what is more fun than talking about crying?

A friend and I went to lunch a couple of days ago and the subject came up.

I told her that I cried for two hours after watching Friday Night Lights (the film, not the TV show). I can't watch the movie anymore so I don't remember the characters, but it's after one of the characters learns that he will not be able to play football anymore. It reminded me of my own athletic career, abruptly ended after noticing signs of what is now CFS.

My friends now cannot picture me as an athlete -- in any way -- so this was definitely mind boggling for my friend.

But yes, I did cry for that long.

Other movies I recall crying watching: Armageddon.

A story that my family tells EVERYONE is about me crying at Free Willy when I was seven or whatever. I was apparently crying because I was so happy that the whale was free. I'm not surprised. I was inconsolable.

And even though I didn't cry during the movie, I have to list A Walk to Remember. While I was in high school, I read the book about 10 times, and every time it gets to the line, "I'm dying, Landon," I have to put the book down and cry for a few hours. It's like clockwork. I already know the ending and I cry every. single. time.

Still trying to think of others.

What about y'all?

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Gallipoli

Breaker Morant

Kramer vs. Kramer

Grave of the Fireflies

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Oh, listing Nowhere in Africa.

It is not a sad movie, per se, but the soundtrack is absolutely beautiful and haunting. It always touches some dark corner of my soul and triggers a longing I can't identify...I'm always in tears at the end of the movie. My sister, who watched it with me, was very confused about that.

I try not to watch it when I only have a few hours at a time, or a lot of mascara on!

katherineofdixie

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I never ever cry but believe it or not, I burst into tears in the theater during "Driving Miss Daisy" when they showed the For Sale sign in front of her house and she had to go into a nursing home.

Also, oddly enough, "Marley and Me," at the end when he has to put Marley to sleep. I was watching it one night by myself and just cried and cried.

P.S. I have to leave the room if any Humane Society commercials come on, because they make me cry, also.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Friday Night Lights is one of my favorite movies! I definitely cried when I first saw it. I've read the book 3 times.

As for some of my other tear jerkers...

Brian's Song
Malcolm X
Dances With Wolves
Remains of The Day
Everybody's All American
Imitation of Life
Antoine Fisher

More later as I think of them.

I'm a sentimental sap. I cry easily at a good movie. :-[

Selam

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
I cannot watch Gods and Generals or Gettysburg without bawling.  In G&G it's the beginning part that gets me, and when the little girl dies.  EDIT - and when the two Irish brigades have to fight each other.  /EDIT
In Gettysburg I start crying when General Lee rides out and it don't stop until well after Armistead goes down.

Also, I cried while watching The Musketeer (2001) because I knew I spent money on that ticket that I'd never get back.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
To keep the thread alive people, don't post all of them at once!

Magnolia

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
Movies?  Why limit it to movies?

I cry at almost every Hallmark commercial!
LOL!

Yes, feel free to list books, movies, TV shows, commercials.

I know that Scrubs is a ridiculous comedy, but I was a mess when Laverne died. Judy Reyes' delivery of Carla's goodbye speech was so spot-on that even though I had been laughing a few minutes before, I burst into tears. I still tear up when rewatching that episode.

Most sports movies are so hokey and predictable, but I'll still tear up when the audience roars at the end of the movie and that predictable victory music plays. Such a sap for those endings.

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Marley and Me - I was a mess for hours.
Schindler's List - Gets me every single time.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
The Passion of the Christ.  The flashback scene where the toddler Jesus falls down and the Holy Theotokos runs to pick him up.  And when He carresses the Cross and says "Lord! I am Your Servant, the Son of Your Handmaiden.

Almost cry every time:American Beauty, at the smile on Kevin Spacy's face when the girl says that yes, his daughter is happy.

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I cried at ET when I was a kid. Sorry, I just posted all mine at once.

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
it isnt a movie, rather a musics video but

Jason Aldean's Tattoos on this town
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-zks4FRlI

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
The Joy Luck Club

I think I have written about the embarrassment over this one here before.

In fact, I have:

orthonorm said:
IsmiLiora said:
I have never read The Joy Luck Club, so the reference went over my head. Should I?

It's taboo to pretend you're one of the masses when you're bourgeois. I have a "masses" salary + massive college debt and yet I am bourgeois. Go figure.

I actually think I know where you are going with this, Ortho. I'm interested to see how you connect the posts.
Good grief. I ain't never read it. But did go to see it in the theater with a flock or whatever you call a group of young Chinese women, no ABCs.

I probably was the worse offender in terms of amount of tears.

I am baby like that.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
The Passion of the Christ.  The flashback scene where the toddler Jesus falls down and the Holy Theotokos runs to pick him up.  And when He carresses the Cross and says "Lord! I am Your Servant, the Son of Your Handmaiden.
I don't even want to think about that one.  I have a hard enough time at Great Friday services let alone a more graphic depiction.

(BTW, I have seen the film.)

Reaction score
vamrat said:
I cannot watch Gods and Generals or Gettysburg without bawling.  In G&G it's the beginning part that gets me, and when the little girl dies.  EDIT - and when the two Irish brigades have to fight each other.  /EDIT
In Gettysburg I start crying when General Lee rides out and it don't stop until well after Armistead goes down.

Also, I cried while watching The Musketeer (2001) because I knew I spent money on that ticket that I'd never get back.
Gettysburg -- I always cry when Lee says, "Gen. Pickett, you must look to your division." Pickett somberly responds, "General Lee, I have no division." This, of course, among many other times I cry during this sad film.

Fiddler on the Roof, I cry tears of joy during the opening song of "Tradition" -- I just love it!

Schindler's List. Need I say more?

A Charlie Brown Christmas, Linus's monologue

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I'm very emotional in any film dealing with death.

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I watched "Short Circuit" when I was a child and cried for hours.  The ending devastated me.  My family talks about it to this day. 

I also cried the first time I watched "Beaches", but that isn't my fault.  The movie purposefully manipulates emotions.

I recently saw "Tree of Life" after Orthonorm talked about it.  I cried quite a bit throughout that movie. 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Ionnis said:
I watched "Short Circuit" when I was a child and cried for hours.  The ending devastated me.  My family talks about it to this day. 

I also cried the first time I watched "Beaches", but that isn't my fault.  The movie purposefully manipulates emotions.

I recently saw "Tree of Life" after Orthonorm talked about it.  I cried quite a bit throughout that movie. 
I balled during Tree of Life. It was crazy. Other people were walking out or making gratuitous jibes which I guess has become part of the "experience". Not sure if I was responding to mere sentimentality but that film got to me from pretty much moment one till the end.

And I kid you not, but within the last hour I was just referencing Short Circuit

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
I balled during Tree of Life. It was crazy. Other people were walking out or making gratuitous jibes which I guess has become part of the "experience". Not sure if I was responding to mere sentimentality but that film got to me from pretty much moment one till the end.
:)

And I kid you not, but within the last hour I was just referencing Short Circuit
A divine sign that someone is awaiting a response. :p

Reaction score
Moderators, please move this thread to the, 'Women Issues' section of the forum.

Also, for anyone who may be interested to know, there is a thread in the 'Real' section of the private forums entitled, "Men, what movies made you cry?" There was only one response in that thread: "Real men do not allow the distinction between reality and art to ever be so blurred to the point of allowing the latter to so emotionally absorb and overtake them to the extent of procuring a physiological response befitting a woman, e.g., crying". The moderators subsequently locked the thread because according to forum policy for the "Real" section, once the real truth has been stated there is nothing further to discuss and thus no further discussion ought to be permitted.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
If you don't cry for dying puppies, I'm going to suggest that the moderators move your post to the "Psychological Issues" section of the forum.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
EkhristosAnesti said:
Moderators, please move this thread to the, 'Women Issues' section of the forum.
"Jesus wept."

And He didn't even have movies.

Deal with it.

::)

Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
If you don't cry for dying puppies, I'm going to suggest that the moderators move your post to the "Psychological Issues" section of the forum.
Haha of course, to suggest that a male has psychological issues because he does not share and finds difficulty empathising with the irrational emotional vulnerabilities of women is a typically female thing to suggest...

biro said:
EkhristosAnesti said:
"Jesus wept."

And He didn't even have movies.

Deal with it.

::)
Umm, you are aware that Lazarus, over whom Jesus wept, was a real existing person with whom Jesus had a real existing relationship?

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
EkhristosAnesti said:
IsmiLiora said:
Haha of course, to suggest that a male has psychological issues because he does not share and finds difficulty empathising with the irrational emotional vulnerabilities of women is a typically female thing to suggest...
And to overcompensate is a typically...

:)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
[quote author="EkhristosAnesti"]...finds difficulty empathising with the irrational emotional vulnerabilities of women is a typically female thing to suggest...
[/quote]

Says a lot about you.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I think it says that he started the aforementioned original thread and was bitter that he didn't get any responses. Excuse me, one.

Sorry  :-*

;D

Reaction score
EkhristosAnesti said:

Also, for anyone who may be interested to know, there is a thread in the 'Real' section of the private forums entitled, "Men, what movies made you cry?" There was only one response in that thread: "Real men do not allow the distinction between reality and art to ever be so blurred to the point of allowing the latter to so emotionally absorb and overtake them to the extent of procuring a physiological response befitting a woman, e.g., crying". The moderators subsequently locked the thread because according to forum policy for the "Real" section, once the real truth has been stated there is nothing further to discuss and thus no further discussion ought to be permitted.
Excuse me, but I have seen both my father and my boyfriend cry during movies. They are tapping into that part of the brain that allows them to empathize with the characters on screen. That is not a feminine trait, that is a human trait. The point of art is to move the soul. That is what a good film does. I don't know why you are so insecure in your own masculinity that you must ascribe crying to women, but I assure you, real men cry.

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I thought EA's post was a joke. I really did. :-\

I can't remember the last time I cried at a movie, but I remember being tugged at a bit by a few points in "Everything is Illuminated". Yeah, overall it's a comedy, but there's some real stuff in there! It kinda made me want to call my grandfather to see how he's doing, even though we aren't Jewish.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
True.   :)  It's good to see there are men and women posting in this thread, and most of them seem to see it as the fun it is.

Let's all relax.  :-*

Reaction score
dzheremi said:
I thought EA's post was a joke. I really did. :-\
Could I have made it any more obvious?  ::) Women, huh? lol

HoG,

My intention was only to take a light-hearted jab at some of the guys who have responded to this thread; in all seriousness, I do not question anyone's masculinity here.

With that said, I think it's legitimate to draw a distinction between being moved and being moved to tears--especially within the context of...watching a movie.

Being able to empathise does not necessarily result in bawling your eyes out--especially within the context of...watching a movie.

It's just plain silly to suggest that one is unable to empathise or lacks a sense of compassion or suffers from some sort of psychological issue because, whilst being moved by some kind of artistic portrayal, he is nevertheless able to contain his emotions because he has the strength of will to allow reason's distinction of art from reality to keep his emotions in check.

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Fr. Meletios Webber writes:
We watch movies in order to have our emotions engaged and then manipulated. This we experience as entertainment, but it cannot be said to be a very profound experience... even "serious" entertainment is a shallow experience compared with being present in the heart. Ultimately, all entertainment is a distraction, offered as a sacrifice of reality to appease an ever-hungry mind. In its tun, the mind is constantly striving to lessen the importance of the present moment by seeking out distraction. When we feed that process, we are encouraging that which is most destructive within us.
Bread & Water, Wine & Oil: An Orthodox Christian Experience of God. p. 21

Never underestimate the power of Orthodoxy to ruin a well intentioned thread.  :)

I think E.T. & Old Yeller got me. Good example of the above quote.  Take a lump of silicone, give it some personality, and make a bunch of kids cry when you "kill" it off. For shame! Or in the context of this thread, For Shane!