• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Musical instruments?

qawe

High Elder
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/oPmrdmcTzoo

^I thought Byzantines used no musical instruments in their worship.  What instrument is being used here?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
qawe said:
http://youtu.be/oPmrdmcTzoo

^I thought Byzantines used no musical instruments in their worship.  What instrument is being used here?
The recording in the link has been doctored. The vocal has been sped up, and an instrumental track added. I have the actual recording of this psalm, and it sounds quite different.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Having said that, I have observed in Greek monastic settings, on feast days, the rhythmic shaking of hand censers during particular hymns, which I would classify as use of a musical instrument, since it is done in time to the chant.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Having said that, I have observed in Greek monastic settings, on feast days, the rhythmic shaking of hand censers during particular hymns, which I would classify as use of a musical instrument, since it is done in time to the chant.
.... but that would sound nothing like the audio in the link. It wouldn't sound processed or cheesy.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
LBK said:
Iconodule said:
.... but that would sound nothing like the audio in the link. It wouldn't sound processed or cheesy.
I've never heard this, but 'cheesy' did come to mind when I read it...anyone have a video or audio track of the sychronized censing?

Apostolos

High Elder
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
LBK said:
Iconodule said:
I've never heard this, but 'cheesy' did come to mind when I read it...anyone have a video or audio track of the sychronized censing?
Check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F9-cc_lOVw
It's indeed an Athonite monastic practice usually performed with the katzion (hand censer)

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
I have heard the same on an Arabic recording of the polyeleos.  Strictly speaking, i suppose it is a musical instrument but it seems more to keep the rhythm than anything else.  Or it could be doctored like LBK said, but doctored to represent the swinging chandelier which accompanies the chanting of psalms 134 and 135.  Judt a guess.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
Don't forget the use of bells in Russia; those are musical instruments too (Russian bells are specifically designed to produce a range of different harmonics rather than a single note, and complicated polyrhythms are used to ring them).

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
I have heard the same on an Arabic recording of the polyeleos.  Strictly speaking, i suppose it is a musical instrument but it seems more to keep the rhythm than anything else.  Or it could be doctored like LBK said, but doctored to represent the swinging chandelier which accompanies the chanting of psalms 134 and 135.  Judt a guess.
The soundtrack was indeed doctored, both in tempo and in the addition of what I can only call a disco- or dance-style beat. Nothing to do with swinging chandeliers or censers. It sounded false and tacky, completely at odds with the reverence and dignity of the original recording, performed by perhaps the finest Byzantine choir today.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
LBK said:
scamandrius said:
The soundtrack was indeed doctored, both in tempo and in the addition of what I can only call a disco- or dance-style beat. Nothing to do with swinging chandeliers or censers. It sounded false and tacky, completely at odds with the reverence and dignity of the original recording, performed by perhaps the finest Byzantine choir today.
I know nothing about Byzantine chant so I am curious about the tempo. Usually when tempo is accelerated electronically there are tell tale signs effecting the tone and pitch. Is there a link to an unaltered format to compare?

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
LBK said:
Iconodule said:
As one who frequents Greek monasteries, I can tell you that is exactly what it sounds like. This is not doctored.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Antonis said:
LBK said:
Iconodule said:
As one who frequents Greek monasteries, I can tell you that is exactly what it sounds like. This is not doctored.
I would also like to add that in some Greek monastic traditions, hand-bells are used during the polyeleos which produce this very sound.