• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

My Mother Also, and I

Seraffa

Reaction score
I just got the bad news that mom, who is 91 and with demensia, had another set of seasonal falls at her home but the last time the caregiver was not visiting that day. Those who used forced entry to rescue her found nothing broken but she had had 2 simultaneous strokes - one on each side of the brain as she fell. There was an operation also on her neck to alleviate a swollen part of her spinal cord. As of now the is unable to move any limbs and is only able to speak rarely. Our family home which I always longed to inheirit will be sold so that she can live in a skilled nursing facility for what looks like the rest of her days.
I will have to visit her with a companion because I can't shoulder this alone. Please pray for Ophelia Ann, a Roman Catholic, and that her stay in the religious skilled nursing environment brings her some level of peace and comfort at this debilitating time.I will always remember our home as the precious grounds that brought me to the wakening of Orthodoxy in me; I will weep for the loss of the beloved childhood trees I played under, the beautiful flowers, our pet cemetery, and every cool blade of grass I laid upon while gazing into the cloudy sky by day, and the back steps I sat upon stargazing by night.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Lord have mercy!

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lord, have mercy!

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Lord have mercy.

St. Luke and St. Pantaleimon, pray for us.

Seraffa

Reaction score
Thank you for your prayers. If I don't post right away its because of all the family things to settle right now. Sending agape......

alice

Reaction score
May God bring you His calm at this difficult time for you. May He watch over your beloved mother, Ophelia Ann and keep her in His protection with all the angels. Amen.

I am so sorry also about your family house. That is a very sad and difficult thing, and in some ways you need to mourn for it and the memories and hopes you had for it..I understand.

Wishing you all the best,
Alice

Seraffa

Reaction score
UPDATE: mom is alive and now transferred, but doesn't have cognition for long and doctors unable to tell if she knows who she is anymore. Thank you for continuing to pray for her as I plan my visit; although doctors will begin physical/cognitive therapy for her, I am aware from firsthand experience that once someone has a double stroke, the third could still be fatal, and I am arranging a visit as soon as possible.