• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

My time on here is screwed up again.

Kirkburn

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Philadelphia
Could someone fix it please? It needs to be on Eastern Time. Thanks!

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Thanks your post I noticed that my time has also become wrong (1 hour difference), but it's easy to fix it: go to section "profile", then "modify profile", then "look and layout" and choose "auto-detect" next to the "time offset". It worked for me.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
It should be okay now.

Kirkburn

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Philadelphia
Yes, it's fine now. Thank you!

Diego

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Lutheran LCMS
Jurisdiction
Nebraska District
Please note that the correct verb form is "Viva Cristo Rey!", rather than "Vivo". The latter means "I live", Present Tense First Person. "Viva" is "May he/she/it live" Second Person Present Subjunctive. In this sense, you are saying "Long live Christ the King!" Because it is a fervent wish and prayer, the Subjunctive Present is necessary.

Kirkburn

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Philadelphia
Thank you for that. I would change it myself but I don't have access to that option.

Could a mod please change my custom title to Viva Christo Rey? Thanks!

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Olivia said:
Thank you for that. I would change it myself but I don't have access to that option.

Could a mod please change my custom title to Viva Christo Rey? Thanks!
Done.

Diego

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Lutheran LCMS
Jurisdiction
Nebraska District
OLIVIA, you are quite welcome, of course. If I can be of further assistance in Spanish, for you or anybody else, do let me know. I would offer assistance in Yiddish, but my knowledge of said language is essentially limited to words and phrases that would get me slapped by anyone's mother if they were to read it! I have limited knowledge of other languages as well, but not enough to be helpful. English and Spanish I can use with full bilingual abilities.

Diego

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Lutheran LCMS
Jurisdiction
Nebraska District
Also, I must note that in Spanish, "Christ" is written "Cristo", WITHOUT the "h" letter. I am sorry I did not observe that earlier.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Diego said:
Also, I must note that in Spanish, "Christ" is written "Cristo", WITHOUT the "h" letter. I am sorry I did not observe that earlier.
Christo is an older orthographic convention that may be used for style. Like my own name (which would be written "Rafael" in modern Portuguese conventions) and my sisters'.

Diego

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Lutheran LCMS
Jurisdiction
Nebraska District
RaphaCam said:
Diego said:
Christo is an older orthographic convention that may be used for style. Like my own name (which would be written "Rafael" in modern Portuguese conventions) and my sisters'.
Now THAT I did not know. I am of course, far more familiar with modern Spanish, as opposed to earlier forms of the language. And anyone who is familiar with the recent history of Mexico knows of the Cristero Uprising from 1926-1929, in which the rebel battle-cry was -Viva Cristo Rey!- Unfortunately,  my English keyboard is not able to reproduce the upside-down exclamation mark at the beginning of the quote.

My knowledge of Early Modern English, from the Henrician period through the Jacobean period, is far better than my knowledge of Spanish at the same time period. That is what comes of studying the Early Renaissance period of British History. More accurately, one should separate the term into "English", "Scottish", and "Irish"  history, since "Britain" as a political entity did not exist until 1707 for England and Scotland,  and 1801 for Ireland. But doing so is rather awkward.

Wales of course can be included as part of England from 1536, when it was administratively unified with England. I do wish I had known that about earlier forms of Spanish, however.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Old Spanish was very different, because it lost many sounds and orthography followed up (while Portuguese didn't simplify these things, only stuff dating back to Greco-Latin etymology).

Diego

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Lutheran LCMS
Jurisdiction
Nebraska District
I do know that the earliest preserved document in Castilian, from ca. 800 AD, is something I can still read, in spite of its considerable differences from modern Castilian/Spanish. English, on the other hand, is virtually unrecognisable as such before Chaucer, and even reading his work takes considerable effort.