• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

"Mysterious" writing on back of icon: An OC.net mystery

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Hello, everyone! Here's an OC.net mystery.

I came across this icon of Christ at at a local shop. It's in rough shape and may or may not have a printed face, hard to tell with the cracking. Hand-painted decorations on the gold leaf. Russian-style Christ as king icon.

What really piqued my interest was the faded writing on the reverse, which can be seen in the photographs, below (click to enlarge). The writing includes markings for "1908" and "1909", which was quite a time for the Slavic world, but is written (mostly) in Latin characters.

Wondering if the sleuths from OC.net can decipher the faded pencil writing.

Thanks, and Cheers!

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Greeks had the custom of writing the names of the children born in the family on the back of the Christ icon. Maybe Russians did the same thing too.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
The lower date is 27th June, 1969 (not 1909). It is by a different hand, and in ink (ballpoint?), not in pencil.

So far, the only part of the pencilled inscription I can make out is the date (December 1 or 13, 1908), and the word immediately above it: Петра (Peter). The photo has a noticeable flash flare on the left hand side, obscuring much of what is written below.

Is it possible to take a clearer photo?

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
LBK said:
The lower date is 27th June, 1969 (not 1909). It is by a different hand, and in ink (ballpoint?), not in pencil.

So far, the only part of the pencilled inscription I can make out is the date (December 1 or 13, 1908), and the word immediately above it: Петра (Peter). The photo has a noticeable flash flare on the left hand side, obscuring much of what is written below.

How's this:

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Better, thanks.  :laugh:

The word next to Петра appears to be a surname, and the date below it is December 1, 1908. For the rest, I'll have to work on it.  :)

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
It reads, “If any man desires to obtain a long life, if he would obtain a faithful messenger and see the blood of his enemies, it is necessary that he should first go into the city of Chorazin, and there salute the prince...“ The last word is very faint but it may be воздуха, meaning “of the air.”

Interesting find!

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I think I can make out, "Петра Великого"... which would be "Peter the Great".

...but, that might simply be some other Peter's surname.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Could be from an Orthodox mission chapel.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
LBK said:

How's this:

It’s good to see you again NicholasMyra!  Thank you for posting this interesting thread.  :)

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
I think I can make out, "Петра Великого"... which would be "Peter the Great".

...but, that might simply be some other Peter's surname.
It's almost certainly "Петра Великого" given that preceding word appears to be "Императора," or "Imperator."

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
Thank you, Arachne, LBK, Liza. This "Peter the Great" bit only adds more to the mystery.

I looked up anniversary events associated with Peter the Great:

1907 was the 200th anniversary of Peter the Great's navy;
1903 was the 200th anniversary of the founding of St Petersburg by Peter the Great
1909 the Peter the Great bridge was founded on the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Poltava.

This icon was found near Seattle, WA, for the record.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
As the icon is in very fragile condition and isn't "high value," I plan to use natural shellac and refined linseed oil to conserve it--barring revelations in this thread that would suggest otherwise.

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
My guess:
1 line: С. Петербург - St. Petersburg
2 line: Домик Императора - House of the Emperor
3 line: Петра Великого - Peter the Great
4 line: 1-го дек. 1908 - 1st December 1908
5 line: П******* Иванов(?) - P****** Ivanov(?)
6 line: 2 июля 1909 - 2 July 1909

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
As the icon is in very fragile condition and isn't "high value," I plan to use natural shellac and refined linseed oil to conserve it--barring revelations in this thread that would suggest otherwise.
Are you intending to treat the face of the icon? Or the back? Or both?

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
LBK said:
NicholasMyra said:
Until I can determine if the face can be non-destructively cleaned, the back would get shellac to preserve the writing. If so, I would low heat press cracked areas on the front, then shellac it, then apply linseed oil to the entire front.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
isxodnik said:
My guess:
1 line: С. Петербург - St. Petersburg
2 line: Домик Императора - House of the Emperor
3 line: Петра Великого - Peter the Great
4 line: 1-го дек. 1908 - 1st December 1908
5 line: П******* Иванов(?) - P****** Ivanov(?)
6 line: 2 июля 1909 - 2 July 1909
That makes an enormous amount of sense! Thank you.

So this icon is a swag/pilgrimage/tourist item.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
LBK said:
NicholasMyra said:
Until I can determine if the face can be non-destructively cleaned, the back would get shellac to preserve the writing. If so, I would low heat press cracked areas on the front, then shellac it, then apply linseed oil to the entire front.
DON'T. Do not shellac either the front or the back. Shellac is a rigid varnish, and does not allow the icon to "breathe". Shellac also becomes brittle with age, so if it cracks with time, it could lift off the underlying painting. And the backs of icons were never varnished, further allowing the icon to breathe.

As for "heat pressing", this is really asking for trouble. Old icons can be often be cleaned of their darkened olifa, and new olifa applied. Applying it properly takes a fair amount of skill, especially on an old and damaged icon, so if you've never done it before, you could cause more damage.

Best to take it to an experienced iconographer or conservator to assess the state of the underlying painting. Otherwise, simply leave it alone, and, if it isn't already, get it framed inside a kiot to protect it.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
LBK said:
And the backs of icons were never varnished, further allowing the icon to breathe.
Breathe?

LBK said:
Best to take it to an experienced iconographer or conservator to assess the state of the underlying painting.
Is it really "worth" that sort of investment, given its age and condition?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
Wood is porous. Air and atmospheric moisture vapour interact with the wood, going in and coming out, depending on conditions. If the entire board is coated in an impermeable varnish, this cannot happen. Carpenters and joiners know this well. Look at how a painted timber door is painted, if oil-based paint is used: the top and bottom faces that point towards the ceiling and floor are left unpainted. The paint protects the timber, but the unpainted sections help prevent the door from distorting. Even a small change in dimension or orientation can affect how the door hangs.

NicholasMyra said:
That depends on you. What you are proposing (low heat application, shellac) will surely cause more damage. If taking the icon to a professional is not on your list, then simply respect the age and fragility of the icon and have it framed in a protective kiot, with the glass set an inch or so above the surface of the icon. A good picture framer can do this.

If you're not sure how such a kiot can be made, let me know.  :)

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
LBK said:
NicholasMyra said:
Wood is porous. Air and atmospheric moisture vapour interact with the wood, going in and coming out, depending on conditions. If the entire board is coated in an impermeable varnish, this cannot happen. Carpenters and joiners know this well. Look at how a painted timber door is painted, if oil-based paint is used: the top and bottom faces that point towards the ceiling and floor are left unpainted. The paint protects the timber, but the unpainted sections help prevent the door from distorting. Even a small change in dimension or orientation can affect how the door hangs.

NicholasMyra said:
That depends on you. What you are proposing (low heat application, shellac) will surely cause more damage. If taking the icon to a professional is not on your list, then simply respect the age and fragility of the icon and have it framed in a protective kiot, with the glass set an inch or so above the surface of the icon. A good picture framer can do this.

If you're not sure how such a kiot can be made, let me know.  :)
Fair points, though "breathing" in the wrong environment did cause the entire icon to warp inward (If only they'd used splines.). So I think I can put together a kiot. Thanks for the tips.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
Hello, everyone! Here's an OC.net mystery.

I came across this icon of Christ at at a local shop. It's in rough shape and may or may not have a printed face, hard to tell with the cracking. Hand-painted decorations on the gold leaf. Russian-style Christ as king icon.

What really piqued my interest was the faded writing on the reverse, which can be seen in the photographs, below (click to enlarge). The writing includes markings for "1908" and "1909", which was quite a time for the Slavic world, but is written (mostly) in Latin characters.

Wondering if the sleuths from OC.net can decipher the faded pencil writing.

Thanks, and Cheers!

The mystery of this icon aside, I have to confess I really admire it on its own terms.  If you go on a pilgrimage with it, once it is protected in a kiot, I would love to venerate it.  Or perhaps commission a replica.  It is a particularly fine icon however; a replica would not do it justice; its age endears it.  This is not the sort of icon that when worn out should be reduced to ashes for mixing with the Chrism*.

*I have read the ashes of life-expired icons are mixed into the Chrism by the EP; if this is not the case, do let me know, as there are more urban legends about our church than accurate material.

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
I think you've been misled. In Miro/Chrism not add ashes. It is transparent, slightly cloudy, possible whitish precipitate. The rank of mirovarenija easy to Google.

brlon

Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
*I have read the ashes of life-expired icons are mixed into the Chrism by the EP; if this is not the case, do let me know, as there are more urban legends about our church than accurate material.
Old unsalvageable icons, service books, Gospels etc are used to fuel the fires used to heat the cauldrons in which the chrism is prepared.  The patriarch lights the fire using the trikirion after the initial prayers and blessings.