• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

"Mystery worshippers" go online

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
File this under "weird news":

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/dannywestneat/2011003516_danny07.html

It's the inspiration of Jim Henderson, a Seattle evangelical Christian, former pastor and self-described "spiritual anthropologist" who says it's past time Christians found out "what our true customers really think."

He came up with the Craigslist ad. As well as a Web site for ranking houses of worship, called ChurchRater.com.

"We say it's our mission to reach out, including to nonbelievers," Henderson, 62, says. "So why would we not want them to tell us what they think of our efforts to influence, change or even convert them?"
What think ye?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I'd go to Church for $50... where do I sign up?  :angel:

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Hmm... taking church (s)hopping to a new level, I suppose.  It sounds like something I would have liked when I was searching within the Protestant churches, but I don't think it would be helpful at all if one was looking for a church in a way not based on trivialities like music style, color of carpet, number of pews, etc. ;)  It would be great if heterodox churches would just worship and quit trying to be all things to all people, but that's not really within our realm to dictate or wish.

arimethea

Archon
Reaction score
This lady is visiting different churches and blogging about it. She recently visited an Orthodox church and her report can be found here. Very interesting perspective.

http://neverenoughsundays.blogspot.com/2010/01/this-is-not-church-for-sissies.html

This is Not a Church for Sissies
Discipline Required
My guess is that if you attend an Orthodox Christian Church on a regular basis (Greek, Orthodox Church in America, or Antiochian), you get used to it—even revel in it. I imagine that the structure and rigid requirements can provide a foundation that leaves lots of space for God to work in a heart and life. Doing life in this way would certainly take a great deal of dedication and committment. From standing for long periods of time, to fasting from certain foods on a regular basis, to praying, this is not a church for sissies.

For the first-time visitor, however, the whole experience can be a little overwhelming. My five senses have been on overload for the entire two hours, and that's after having chosen to skip the first hour of "matins" which is described in a book I am given as "designed to clear our minds and get ready for the beginning of the Divine Liturgy." ...

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
While our worship services must not be altered to suit visitors, perhaps an outside eye might be helpful in some areas. What IS the welcome given to visitors? Where are the washrooms (restrooms, in USA)? Is the building clean and tidy? Was an invitation to coffee hour made? Do visitors know what to do with their children? Our visitors have enough to deal with when it comes to following a service. Are there things we can do to make their visit more conducive to paying attention to the Liturgy or other service? Questions like that are quite fair, and sometimes it's hard for us to see what we're missing.

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
File this under "weird news":

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/dannywestneat/2011003516_danny07.html

It's the inspiration of Jim Henderson, a Seattle evangelical Christian, former pastor and self-described "spiritual anthropologist" who says it's past time Christians found out "what our true customers really think."

He came up with the Craigslist ad. As well as a Web site for ranking houses of worship, called ChurchRater.com.

"We say it's our mission to reach out, including to nonbelievers," Henderson, 62, says. "So why would we not want them to tell us what they think of our efforts to influence, change or even convert them?"
What think ye?
I've seen similar concepts before. See: http://www.ship-of-fools.com/mystery/index.html

I like the idea.