• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

N.T. Wright

Doubting Thomas

High Elder
Reaction score
I was curious as to how many here are familiar with N.T. Wright's works regarding the history of Jesus, the New testament, and early Christianity?

In particular, how does (or can) his interpretation of Paul (justification, covenant, works of the Torah)--which is markedly different than a 16th century Reformation perspective--fit in with Orthodox theology?

Or conversely, can his views on those certain issues be used as part of an Orthodox apologetic vis-a-vis Protestatantism and/or Roman Catholicism on the nature of justification?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I've been meaning to buy books by NT Wright (and others, like JND Kelly) for years now, but haven't gotten around to getting any. :-| I hope someone pops up with some things to say though as it seems like it would be an interesting thread.

Doubting Thomas

High Elder
Reaction score
Paradosis said:
I've been meaning to buy books by NT Wright (and others, like JND Kelly) for years now, but haven't gotten around to getting any. :-| I hope someone pops up with some things to say though as it seems like it would be an interesting thread.
I've read the first volume (The New Testament and the People of God) in his (thus far) three volume series and it's pretty good. I'm in the middle of the second--Jesus and the Victory of God. It's a more than adequate rebuttal to the claims of the "Jesus Seminar". The third deals specifically with the Resurrection. I would like to eventually get around to reading his books on Paul. From the description/reviews I've read on Amazon.com they seem intriguing, which is why I asked if anyone here has read any of his works.

(J.N.D. Kelly's Early Christian Doctrines is pretty decent as well--basically covers the first five centuries. Reading this work has played a major role in helping me realize the Early Church was not Protestant :) )

Sir Sundae

Reaction score
I actually own a number of Wright's works including the three available installments of his Christian Origins and the Question of God series along with What Saint Paul Really Said and The Challenge of Jesus. I hope to read all these books in the months to come, and then maybe share my thoughts.

---Chuck

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't get why NT Wright isn't Orthodox yet.

On Baptism:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xjPI9KVPYM

mint

Elder
Reaction score
Achronos said:
I don't get why NT Wright isn't Orthodox yet.

On Baptism:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xjPI9KVPYM
I've asked the same thing before.  Remember?

James D.G. Dunn is another.  I'd at least expect him to be Anglican, but Methodist??  :eek: