• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Naming of the new Ukrainian church recognised by the EP

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
BTW, one of the theories for Brazil's name is that it comes from Gaelic "sons of the mighty". But the main theory is that it's simply Portuguese for "emberlike", because we had a lot of deep red wood. Boring.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
BTW, one of the theories for Brazil's name is that it comes from Gaelic "sons of the mighty". But the main theory is that it's simply Portuguese for "emberlike", because we had a lot of deep red wood. Boring.
Maybe we should restore the name ''Terras de Santa Cruz'' and also restoring the old names of towns and states, like São Sebastião do Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo de Piratininga, São Pedro do Rio Grande do Sul....

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
juliogb said:
RaphaCam said:
Maybe we should restore the name ''Terras de Santa Cruz'' and also restoring the old names of towns and states, like São Sebastião do Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo de Piratininga, São Pedro do Rio Grande do Sul....
I think you should restore the Emperor.  In fact, if you make me Emperor, I vouchsafe to do all of the above, and also restore the railway system including rebuilding the former electric railways of FEPASA, so one could travel from Rio to Sao Paulo and so Paulistas could travel throughout their region in fast trains; I would seek to buy used InterCity carriages and locomotives from Europe as these are cheaper to maintain than high speed trainsets like TGVs or ICE/Siemens high speed trains, or Shinkansens, and they are still rated for 200 KM/h operation, a speed which my beloved grandmother, memory eternal, would doubtless have characterized as “lickety-split.”

I also vouchsafe to make Orthodoxy the state religion, but to keep the Church of Brazil under the Church of Poland, since autocephaly is overrated, and basically the country would trade Pope Francis for Metropolitan Savvas (a definite improvement, despite my controversial views expressed elsewhere concerning the relative orthodoxy of Rome).

Lastly I vouchsafe to ensure the military uniforms are impressive, and as we discussed previously, that Brasilia would be razed as per RaphaCam’s request.

In fact I think I might change my OCNet title to “Pretender to the Throne of Brazil”.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
juliogb said:
RaphaCam said:
I think you should restore the Emperor.  In fact, if you make me Emperor, I vouchsafe to do all of the above, and also restore the railway system including rebuilding the former electric railways of FEPASA, so one could travel from Rio to Sao Paulo and so Paulistas could travel throughout their region in fast trains; I would seek to buy used InterCity carriages and locomotives from Europe as these are cheaper to maintain than high speed trainsets like TGVs or ICE/Siemens high speed trains, or Shinkansens, and they are still rated for 200 KM/h operation, a speed which my beloved grandmother, memory eternal, would doubtless have characterized as “lickety-split.”

I also vouchsafe to make Orthodoxy the state religion, but to keep the Church of Brazil under the Church of Poland, since autocephaly is overrated, and basically the country would trade Pope Francis for Metropolitan Savvas (a definite improvement, despite my controversial views expressed elsewhere concerning the relative orthodoxy of Rome).

Lastly I vouchsafe to ensure the military uniforms are impressive, and as we discussed previously, that Brasilia would be razed as per RaphaCam’s request.

In fact I think I might change my OCNet title to “Pretender to the Throne of Brazil”.
My request is the same regarding brasilia, but instead of a railway to Rio, build a wall around the city and make the railway to Buenos Aires. :laugh:

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Alpha60 said:
juliogb said:
RaphaCam said:

Don't let me dream too much! Also, another suggestion: after you raze it, rename Brasília as "Tubaibauera" (that's Tupi for "what was once a bad city", just made it mixing random Tupi place names I know) and forbid further incursion of eucalyptus in the Atlantic Forest. Later, make what was once Tubaibauera into a huge eucalyptus plantation. Afterwards, we won't even have to annex our neighbouring countries, they'd just happily join us. Evo Morales can be your counsellor. Four birds with one stone.

Katechon

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
That said, the UOCUSA remains undeniably canonical. I had some warm conversations a few years ago with Fr. Michael, a former CIA agent who became priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox church in Rhode Island.
That is incredibly funny in it's own right.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
That is incredibly funny in it's own right.
I know this priest very well. He is a super kind and generous man. A true asset to Orthodoxy.