• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Natural marriage vs sacramental marriage

Paisius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could help me with this. There are some subjects that are kinda hard to research online because when you google them you get a gazillion Catholic websites that just explain the current Catholic position without a lot of background. Can someone point me to some patristic sources that lay out the differences between a natural marriage and a sacramental marriage and how the Gospels say one can be dissolved and the other can't?

gueranger

Elder
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
What's a "natural" marriage?
A marriage between non-Christians. It would be marriage, but not a sacrament.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I suppose the Church must have a concept of natural marriage because we do not require a married convert to separate from a non-Orthodox spouse, even though we also do not allow Orthodox to marry outside the Church (at least according to canonical akrivia). So in some sense the non-Orthodox marriage contracted before conversion must be "valid" in some sense.

At the same time, I'm told the canons allow for the converted spouse to divorce the non-Orthodox spouse with no penalty, and presumably he or she may then marry someone else in Church, even if the non-Orthodox former spouse is still alive. Does anyone know more about this?

Paisius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
gueranger said:
hecma925 said:

Seems like they extend that also to baptized individuals who failed to contract a valid sacramental marriage for one reason or another.

Paisius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Deacon Lance said:
Paisius said:
NicholasMyra said:
Paisius said:
how the Gospels say one can be dissolved and the other can't?
They do?

I was relaying the Roman Catholic position and asking for clarification.  ;)
St Paul does in 1Cor 7:10-15.

That doesn't exactly support the modern Catholic position as I understand it.

gueranger

Elder
Reaction score
Paisius said:
gueranger said:
hecma925 said:

Seems like they extend that also to baptized individuals who failed to contract a valid sacramental marriage for one reason or another.
Technically I don't think so... theoretically in some cases. I think a RC decree of nullity speaks to the validity of the marriage itself, not whether or not it was sacramental. Don't ask me how that works, I'm not sure.

gueranger

Elder
Reaction score
Paisius said:
Deacon Lance said:
Paisius said:
NicholasMyra said:
Paisius said:
They do?

Actually that would be an appropriate example of a natural and non-sacramental marriage from the RC point of view.

Paisius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
gueranger said:
Paisius said:
Deacon Lance said:
Paisius said:
NicholasMyra said:
Paisius said:
They do?

Actually that would be an appropriate example of a natural and non-sacramental marriage from the RC point of view.

Seems to me St Paul makes the distinction and at the same time points out Jesus did not. Either way maybe I'm using the wrong term or misunderstanding something. If a Christian couple has been married for 20 years with children if they get an annulment was there still a natural marriage?

gueranger

Elder
Reaction score
Paisius said:
gueranger said:
Paisius said:
Deacon Lance said:
Paisius said:
NicholasMyra said:
Paisius said:
They do?

Seems to me St Paul makes the distinction and at the same time points out Jesus did not. Either way maybe I'm using the wrong term or misunderstanding something. If a Christian couple has been married for 20 years with children if they get an annulment was there still a natural marriage?
I think the answer is maybe, not always.