• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Need a new lawnmower

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
So, my old lawnmower, which was a hand-me-down and probably about as old as my car (2005) decided to finally call it quits today.  We're almost through the lawn mowing season and I suspect there will probably be some deals out there as most people buy a lawnmower before spring, not after.  So, if you have any recommendations for a good mower I'm all ears. I'd like to keep the price between $200-300, if possible.

Thanks.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
As someone who doesn't mow lawns, why not spend a little extra for a Honda?
 

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Joined
May 8, 2014
Messages
12,135
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Eugene, OR
The Fiskars manual mower works incredibly well and can be found in some stores going for less than $100.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
See I'd tell scamandrius just pay a teenager to do it but then I remember he's this guy:

 

Luke

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 5, 2008
Messages
7,219
Reaction score
74
Points
48
scamandrius said:
So, my old lawnmower, which was a hand-me-down and probably about as old as my car (2005) decided to finally call it quits today.  We're almost through the lawn mowing season and I suspect there will probably be some deals out there as most people buy a lawnmower before spring, not after.  So, if you have any recommendations for a good mower I'm all ears. I'd like to keep the price between $200-300, if possible.

Thanks.
Does Consumer Reports have lawn mower ratings?
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
RobS said:
See I'd tell scamandrius just pay a teenager to do it but then I remember he's this guy:

I'm Clint Eastwood?  Where's all my money then?  I could definitely afford to let some lousy company cut my grass then.
 

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
1,552
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Porter ODoran said:
The Fiskars manual mower works incredibly well and can be found in some stores going for less than $100.
Apparently I went to the wrong stores because I paid that much for the vastly inferior Scotts manual mower...still minimal regrets though.
 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,324
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Avoid Briggs and Stratton's lower end models. The one I bought two years ago was great for one season, but despite being maintained now needs some kind of mechanical repair with every use. The body is also going to pieces even though I haven't left it in the rain or anything like that.
 

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
6,228
Reaction score
299
Points
83
Age
37
Agabus said:
Avoid Briggs and Stratton's lower end models. The one I bought two years ago was great for one season, but despite being maintained now needs some kind of mechanical repair with every use. The body is also going to pieces even though I haven't left it in the rain or anything like that.
Agreed.  Although we did leave ours in the rain. 

scamandrius said:
So, my old lawnmower, which was a hand-me-down and probably about as old as my car (2005) decided to finally call it quits today.  We're almost through the lawn mowing season and I suspect there will probably be some deals out there as most people buy a lawnmower before spring, not after.  So, if you have any recommendations for a good mower I'm all ears. I'd like to keep the price between $200-300, if possible.

Thanks.
I like our Husqvarna self-propelled mower.  It was pricey, but worth saving the trouble of buying a mower again in two years.  I think it's about 4 years old.  It's first problems were the end of last season and the beginning of this one.  I will say that not too many people around here work on Honda lawn mower engines.
 

Bob2

High Elder
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
848
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Agabus said:
Avoid Briggs and Stratton's lower end models. The one I bought two years ago was great for one season, but despite being maintained now needs some kind of mechanical repair with every use. The body is also going to pieces even though I haven't left it in the rain or anything like that.
I've a cheap "Weed Eater" (Walmart brand) that fits that description, and have been mowing my acre lot for 10 yrs with it without issue. 
 

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
7,220
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
The Ozark Mountains
Upper end Briggs and Stratton's are great.  You can pick one up for around $300 or so.  My uncle has had his for nearly 8 or so years.  I have a Bolens I picked up at Lowe's for about $300.  I've had it for 6 years now with zero trouble.  The key to success is taking care of it.  Like a car. 
 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,324
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Bob2 said:
Agabus said:
Avoid Briggs and Stratton's lower end models. The one I bought two years ago was great for one season, but despite being maintained now needs some kind of mechanical repair with every use. The body is also going to pieces even though I haven't left it in the rain or anything like that.
I've a cheap "Weed Eater" (Walmart brand) that fits that description, and have been mowing my acre lot for 10 yrs with it without issue.
I had a Weed Eater for about five years, and it worked fine until my kid decided to feed some peacock feathers through the engine while it was running. Locked the whole thing up.
 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
3,980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
I have a red one. It's self-propelled. Buy that one.
 

William T

Archon
Joined
May 22, 2015
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Chicago
What do you do?  Mulch, bag or both?  Self propelled? I'm guessing you want gas.

I'm used to toro's and hondas and havent had much problem with them.  Our old one may have lasted about a decade without much fuss.  I was more used to bagging my grass.

I never got much into the Lawn Boy mowers.  My aunt and old neighbor had them and I hated using them...I can't remember why. 

What is this "weed eater" object?  Us people who live in non barbarian lands have something called a weed wacker, and to further beautify the lawn we use an edger.
 

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
4,979
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Location
Seattle, WA
I know it sounds old fashioned and weird, but I'd really recommend a scythe. My husband loves it, and its really much easier/faster than you might think. Even though we have 5 acres, a scythe is my husband's preferred method of mowing our field.


Video on scythes:
https://scythesupply.com/video-how-to-scythe-and-stop-weeding,-watering-and-fertilizing.html
 

William T

Archon
Joined
May 22, 2015
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Chicago
Quinault said:
I know it sounds old fashioned and weird, but I'd really recommend a scythe. My husband loves it, and its really much easier/faster than you might think. Even though we have 5 acres, a scythe is my husband's preferred method of mowing our field.


Video on scythes:
https://scythesupply.com/video-how-to-scythe-and-stop-weeding,-watering-and-fertilizing.html
Wow. That's going to be a tough sell, and probably appealing to a very niche group of people.

Is the quality / utility going to be worth it for a person with a 1600 sq foot lawn with various twists, breaks, and crevices that has to be cut 1.5 times a week, and doesn't have any large weeds or odd patches of land on his soil?

the only use I could see for something like that is if I had a teenage son who was getting under my skin and needed to "build character".  But being that I would be giving him a scythe, and depending on how degenerate he was at the emotional age of 16, even that could be a bad idea.
 

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
4,979
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Location
Seattle, WA
Actually a scythe is ideal for uneven or oddly shaped areas. Its quiet, no gas, and no problem (actually works best) if the lawn is damp. A blade could literally be handed down to your great-grandchildren; so the expense is worth it in spades.
 

William T

Archon
Joined
May 22, 2015
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Chicago
Quinault said:
Actually a scythe is ideal for uneven or oddly shaped areas. Its quiet, no gas, and no problem (actually works best) if the lawn is damp. A blade could literally be handed down to your great-grandchildren; so the expense is worth it in spades.
And it can cut grass (Kentucky Bluegrass) from 1 1/2" to 1/2" no problem? Better than a mower?  It can sculpt and design a lawn as good as a mower too? And the clean up time for the grass the scythe leaves behind would still beat the time it takes for mowing, filling gas, emptying bags, etc with a lawn mower?

What about Blade maintenance, do actually have to know how to hone a blade, or can you get by with just basic sharpening knowledge?  Or is it possible to just take the blade to someone who knows what they are doing for a reasonable price?

If the scythe can beat the mower in these things, you may have a point. 
 

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
4,979
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Location
Seattle, WA
If you are cutting on a regular basis, its really no different than a mulching mower. People don't generally clean up after mulching mowers. You can sculpt and design better with a single, narrow blade than you can a large machine. Blade maintanence is quite easy, peening is quick/fast, wiping off the blade before honing easy. Scythe seem much more difficult than they really are. If you get a peening jig its practically idiot proof because you would have to try hard to do it incorrectly. With a small yard of 1600 feet, you may not even have to use the whetstone during mowing. You'd just whetstone and hone before use.
 

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
4,979
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Location
Seattle, WA
Correction; you'd peen and then use the whetstone before use. You have to whetstone after peening because peening creates burrs that have to be knocked off.
 

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
6,228
Reaction score
299
Points
83
Age
37
Quinault said:
Video on scythes:
https://scythesupply.com/video-how-to-scythe-and-stop-weeding,-watering-and-fertilizing.html
Hey, I know those guys!  ;D
 

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
4,979
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Location
Seattle, WA
Ainnir said:
Quinault said:
Video on scythes:
https://scythesupply.com/video-how-to-scythe-and-stop-weeding,-watering-and-fertilizing.html
Hey, I know those guys!  ;D
Scythe supply, or the guy in the video? Scythe supply takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to ship, but it is well worth it to get a full outfit from them.


Additional thoughts on the topic:
A sickle is quite awesome for smaller areas too. We use ours around our fruit trees/bushes, although it isn't really that necessary because you can get in so close without damaging the trees with a scythe. Our trees are so small that I'd rather not accidentally chop them down. You can get various blades for a scythe for brush rather than grass, so it definitely isn't a unitasker. A brush blade is shorter and a bit stouter to my understanding, and can be used to cut things like saplings with ease. Our current (and only at the moment) blade is a mixed use blade that can cut grass and brush.
 

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
6,228
Reaction score
299
Points
83
Age
37
Quinault said:
Ainnir said:
Quinault said:
Video on scythes:
https://scythesupply.com/video-how-to-scythe-and-stop-weeding,-watering-and-fertilizing.html
Hey, I know those guys!  ;D
Scythe supply, or the guy in the video? Scythe supply takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to ship, but it is well worth it to get a full outfit from them.


Additional thoughts on the topic:
A sickle is quite awesome for smaller areas too. We use ours around our fruit trees/bushes, although it isn't really that necessary because you can get in so close without damaging the trees with a scythe. Our trees are so small that I'd rather not accidentally chop them down. You can get various blades for a scythe for brush rather than grass, so it definitely isn't a unitasker. A brush blade is shorter and a bit stouter to my understanding, and can be used to cut things like saplings with ease. Our current (and only at the moment) blade is a mixed use blade that can cut grass and brush.
The guys in the video.  I think I needed one of those brush blades for our fence line.  There might have been less ire involved.  Maybe; it was sort of a cathartic activity at the time...  :angel:
 
Top