New Coptic Pope Chosen: Anba Tawadros

zekarja

High Elder
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
qawe said:
The way Met. Bakhomious guided the boy's hand to a certain ball made it look a bit rigged.
And I'm sure that Anba Tawadros was Met. Bakhomious' preferred candidate, since he is his disciple.
Conspiracy?!!!
Who knew the Copts could best the RCs for stakes in bingo?
The Apostles cast lots to replace Judas... Cleromancy has been used by the God at least since the times of Moses.  ;)

Some info on the matter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleromancy

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
zekarja said:
orthonorm said:
qawe said:
The way Met. Bakhomious guided the boy's hand to a certain ball made it look a bit rigged.
And I'm sure that Anba Tawadros was Met. Bakhomious' preferred candidate, since he is his disciple.
Conspiracy?!!!
The Apostles cast lots to replace Judas...
That's not very nice . . .

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
zekarja said:
orthonorm said:
qawe said:
Conspiracy?!!!
The Apostles cast lots to replace Judas... Cleromancy has been used by the God at least since the times of Moses.  ;)

Give the track record of the OCA, perhaps they should choose their Bishops and Metropolitan on Thanksgiving Day by a turkey wish bone pulling round-robin.

zekarja

High Elder
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
zekarja said:
orthonorm said:
qawe said:
Conspiracy?!!!
The Apostles cast lots to replace Judas...
That's not very nice . . .
I meant, "to fill the place". :p

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
zekarja said:
orthonorm said:
qawe said:
Conspiracy?!!!
The Apostles cast lots to replace Judas... Cleromancy has been used by the God at least since the times of Moses.  ;)

Give the track record of the OCA, perhaps they should choose their Bishops and Metropolitan on Thanksgiving Day by a turkey wish bone pulling round-robin.
Serbian Church also draws its patriarch in a similar way.

zekarja

High Elder
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
orthonorm said:
zekarja said:
orthonorm said:
qawe said:
Conspiracy?!!!

Play "odds or evens" or "rock, scissors, paper", until you only have one candidate left. That would save resources ant time. jk

I actually find choosing by lots to be very Biblical. It is pretty cool that the Coptic Church still follows that model. 8)

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
The casting of lots, although Biblical, is nevertheless something that was done very very few times in the Coptic Church.

Check this brave soul out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=ULCuvlMl8xwT8&v=CuvlMl8xwT8#t=132s

Pavli Qas (I hope I am spelling his name correctly):  I hope HH Pope Tawadros truly heeds your advice.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
orthonorm said:
zekarja said:
orthonorm said:
qawe said:
Conspiracy?!!!
The Apostles cast lots to replace Judas... Cleromancy has been used by the God at least since the times of Moses.  ;)

St. Tikhon was elected that way too.

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
Salpy said:
Shanghaiski said:
And some friendly encouragement given the Armenian Church to canonize some saints who've been waiting for 800 years. :)
Is there someone you had in mind?
I'm still waiting for an explanation as to what you are referring to.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Salpy said:
Salpy said:
Shanghaiski said:
And some friendly encouragement given the Armenian Church to canonize some saints who've been waiting for 800 years. :)
Is there someone you had in mind?
I'm still waiting for an explanation as to what you are referring to.
I think he is referring to the fact that the Armenian Curch has not canonized a new Saint in centuries and that there are many individuals who are worthy of such canonizaton.

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
I guess I am trying to understand why a person who considers my Church to be schismatic would concern himself with whether any of my Church's members are made saints in the modern era.  I know that there are many who are worthy, such as the priest of my grandfather's village, who was doused with kerosene and burned alive during the Genocide.  I guess I am trying to figure out why that is a concern of this poster, and why it would be brought up in this thread.

And the "800 years" number is a bit inaccurate.  Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of St. Gregory of Datev, who reposed in the 1400's.

It was during the Ottoman era that the Church was not able to canonize saints.  Now we find ourselves in a different era, and the Church is trying to figure out how to go about reviving the process.  It used to be a rather "bottom up" process, rather than the "top down" process that one finds in many modern Churches.  Someone would be venerated at the local level, and then as his veneration spread, he would just get added to the calendar.  From what I understand, there was no formal process like one finds in the Chalcedonian Churches.

Whatever.  I just don't get why that is relevant to this thread.

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Salpy said:
I guess I am trying to understand why a person who considers my Church to be schismatic would concern himself with whether any of my Church's members are made saints in the modern era.  I know that there are many who are worthy, such as the priest of my grandfather's village, who was doused with kerosene and burned alive during the Genocide.  I guess I am trying to figure out why that is a concern of this poster, and why it would be brought up in this thread.

And the "800 years" number is a bit inaccurate.  Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of St. Gregory of Datev, who reposed in the 1400's.

It was during the Ottoman era that the Church was not able to canonize saints.  Now we find ourselves in a different era, and the Church is trying to figure out how to go about reviving the process.  It used to be a rather "bottom up" process, rather than the "top down" process that one finds in many modern Churches.  Someone would be venerated at the local level, and then as his veneration spread, he would just get added to the calendar.  From what I understand, there was no formal process like one finds in the Chalcedonian Churches.

Whatever.  I just don't get why that is relevant to this thread.
Agreed.  We should all move on to the OP discussion.  :police:

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
The rite of Papal enthronement has been posted:

http://www.copticworld.org/articles/1426/

What to expect during the serive of the Enthronement of His Holiness Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria:
One of the bishops will start the prayer according to the custom, the lections for the 17th of Hathor are read until the Praxis (Acts) and the Synaxarion. 
Then the priests go out with their censers and the deacons carrying crosses to the Papal residence, where the metropolitans and the bishops are with the one chosen for the patriarchal throne, then the door of the cathedral is locked and the keys are given to one of the archdeacons to stand at the door, waiting for the new Pope when he comes in order to deliver the keys to him.

Stavro

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
In this "seating rite", the conventional prayers usually prayed when a canonical Patriarch is chosen from among the monks, last recited in 1959 at the ordination rite of Pope Kyrillos, will be omitted. There is no laying of hands, no descent of the Holy Spirit, no commission by God, and the new Pope will not be consecrated Patriarch of Alexandria. He will be called "Patriarch of St. Mark's Service" (Kerazah). Alexandria will continue to have no bishop.

If the trend of seating bishops as Popes continues in the future, we should adopt the Roman Papal model, in which the Pope is the Supreme head of the Church, and have a bishop for Alexandria. A general bishop will do as well. 

May the Lord grant the new Pope many years.   

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
anyone who would like to spend 7 hours profitably can watch our patriarch's enthronement here:
:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHDNJV7P5-Q
at 2hrs 15mins is the bit where he is prayed over by the other bishops.
(if u don't have 7 hours!)

baba tawadros 2nd is not ordained here, as he was already a general bishop. he was chosen from among monks and bishops and has already shown great courage and humility.

the enthronement video also shows very good relations between the coptic church and other churches, especially eastern orthodox.

may the Lord preserve the life of both patriarch theodores for many years and peaceful times.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Many years to the both Orthodox popes of Alexandria! Let God give them strength for these difficult times for Egyptian Christians. I pray that patriarch Tawadros II be this Good Shepherd from the Gospel he has read during the ceremony.

If I'm not mistaken, thank God, there was no any incident (well, except the absence of the president)

mabsoota said:
the enthronement video also shows very good relations between the coptic church and other churches, especially eastern orthodox.

may the Lord preserve the life of both patriarch theodores for many years and peaceful times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4Wx8dQHUzQA - That's what you said. Especially since 4:38. It's worth seeing it, both Orthodox patriarchs of Alexandria with the same name ;) I hope and pray that official unity of OO and EO can be proclaimed soon