• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

New forum punitive measures

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I looks as though OC dot net has adopted some new punitive measures for naughty folks.  Example: "Watched".  What is this?  Also, I saw where a member was issued a "25%" warning.  What is that all about?  What are the different punitive measures and their meanings/uses?

Gunnarr

Archon
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
Porter ODoran said:
You might find out.
Sounds ominous.  I guess I've violated a rule?
I dont know how it works. I would guess that "watched" means all posts might be sent to moderators automatically. Or maybe it is simply a reminder to moderators to read the posts of this person if it is seen.

I would assume 25% means 25% way to being banned, but may be reduced over time.

Are there still "meatballs"? lol Not enough time to post here anymore with work

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The system isn't new. It's a useful way to let a poster know s/he's violated one of the rules enough to receive a slap on the wrist rather than just a green-text warning. If the poster goes back to good behaviour, the percentage keeps getting lower until it disappears entirely. But if the poster continues to violate rules, the percentage can be upped and 'watched' turn into a more serious type of moderation of posts.

It pays to read the RULES section at some point since although some rules are general across all sub-boards, the rules for each sub-board can be somewhat different.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Gunnarr said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
Porter ODoran said:
You might find out.
Sounds ominous.  I guess I've violated a rule?
I dont know how it works. I would guess that "watched" means all posts might be sent to moderators automatically. Or maybe it is simply a reminder to moderators to read the posts of this person if it is seen.
It's the latter. "Moderated" means we have to read and approve each post before it appears to the general public.

GabrieltheCelt said:
Also, I saw where a member was issued a "25%" warning.  What is that all about? 
The percentages deal with length of time. Exceed a certain percentage and you're automatically moderated or muted until it ticks down.

Kirkburn

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
If I remember right, the percentage guidelines are as follows...

1 to 24 percent: You are on the moderators' watch list
25 to 64 percent: Your posts have to be approved by a moderator before they're displayed
65 to 100 percent: You are muted, as in you will not be able to post or send PMs.

If you happen to reach 100 percent, the moderators may consider banning you, at least that's what happened when I reached 100 percent once. Thankfully they and Fr. George had mercy on me.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Olivia said:

25 to 64 percent: Your posts have to be approved by a moderator before they're displayed
65 to 100 percent: You are muted, as in you will not be able to post or send PMs.

If you happen to reach 100 percent, the moderators may consider banning you, at least that's what happened when I reached 100 percent once. Thankfully they and Fr. George had mercy on me.
First: this is spot-on.

Second: more to GabrieltheCelt's point - yes, the system changed.  Wasn't our choice - on one of the occasions when we had to update the forum software, the module with the old warning system stopped working.  So we had to use the system that was made available to us. 

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Fr. George said:
Olivia said:

First: this is spot-on.

Second: more to GabrieltheCelt's point - yes, the system changed.  Wasn't our choice - on one of the occasions when we had to update the forum software, the module with the old warning system stopped working.  So we had to use the system that was made available to us.
Interesting.  Thanks for clearing things up, Fr.