• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

New ROCOR Western Rite Divine Office Book

Prufrock

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Points
0
http://www.lulu.com/shop/abbot-david-colburn/the-orthodox-divine-office/hardcover/product-23852480.html

This is a hard-back book in traditional English, containing:

• The ROCOR Western Rite Calendar, including important feasts from the Russian calendar.
• Full Psalter (with plainsong music & psalms pointed for chanting). Note that the Psalter translation used is the Psalter for Prayer – essentially the Coverdale translation but corrected in light of the Septuagint, and following Septuagint numbering.
• The Ordinary and Propers for feasts, ferias, seasons, and Saint's days. Also Common of Saints.
• The Offices of Matins, Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers, and Compline.
• Anthems of Our Lady, Office of the Dead and for the Sick, Itinerary; Preparation for Liturgy, Thanksgiving after Liturgy, Grace at Meals, Sacrament of Penance (Confession), Gradual Psalms, Penitential Psalms, various Litanies, and many Prayers and Office Hymns.

All text is in black with rubrics in italics.
 

Prufrock

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Another recent ROCOR Western Rite publication is a handheld "people's edition" of The Orthodox Missal according to the Use of the Holy Orthodox Church. This book contains: Ordinary of the two Western Rite Liturgies (Masses) of St. Gregory and of the English Liturgy; Rite of Penance; Preparation for Liturgy; Thanksgiving after Liturgy; Anthems of Our Lady; and other prayers.  All text in black with rubrics in italics. It comes in hardback and paperback formats:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/abbot-david-colburn/the-walsingham-missalette/hardcover/product-23846468.html
http://www.lulu.com/shop/abbot-david-colburn/the-walsingham-missalette/paperback/product-23846506.html
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,279
Reaction score
160
Points
63
Age
39
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Prufrock said:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/abbot-david-colburn/the-orthodox-divine-office/hardcover/product-23852480.html

This is a hard-back book in traditional English, containing:

• The ROCOR Western Rite Calendar, including important feasts from the Russian calendar.
• Full Psalter (with plainsong music & psalms pointed for chanting). Note that the Psalter translation used is the Psalter for Prayer – essentially the Coverdale translation but corrected in light of the Septuagint, and following Septuagint numbering.
• The Ordinary and Propers for feasts, ferias, seasons, and Saint's days. Also Common of Saints.
• The Offices of Matins, Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers, and Compline.
• Anthems of Our Lady, Office of the Dead and for the Sick, Itinerary; Preparation for Liturgy, Thanksgiving after Liturgy, Grace at Meals, Sacrament of Penance (Confession), Gradual Psalms, Penitential Psalms, various Litanies, and many Prayers and Office Hymns.

All text is in black with rubrics in italics.
Is Lauds included with Matins?
 

Prufrock

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Is Lauds included with Matins?
Matins is in a similar format to that found in the English Office:

Opening Versicle/Response and Gloria Patri
Invitatory and Venite (Psalm 94)
Reading from the Psalter
First Lesson
Te Deum or Benedicite or Old Testament Canticles taken from Lauds
Second Lesson
Office Hymn with Versicle/Response and Antiphon
Benedictus
Apostles' Creed
Preces
Collects
Final Anthem of Our Lady
 

Prufrock

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Mor Ephrem said:
So is this book more Roman or Anglican or what?  Pardon my ignorance, just trying to get it straight in my own mind, might buy.
That's a difficult question to answer. It's an adaption that contains elements of both, with emphasis on the Roman Breviary abridged, but it's also supplemented by some Sarum elements.
 

platypus

High Elder
Joined
Apr 20, 2018
Messages
713
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Prufrock said:
• Full Psalter (with plainsong music & psalms pointed for chanting). Note that the Psalter translation used is the Psalter for Prayer – essentially the Coverdale translation but corrected in light of the Septuagint, and following Septuagint numbering.
Thank God! I've been waiting for something like this to come out using any LXX psalm translation.
 

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 14, 2017
Messages
5,793
Reaction score
8
Points
0
Location
Alphaville Zone Sud
My main question - are these books available as an eBook or PDF?  Due to my physical condition I find reading printed books increasingly difficult, so I would very much prefer an electronic copy.
 

platypus

High Elder
Joined
Apr 20, 2018
Messages
713
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Alpha60 said:
My main question - are these books available as an eBook or PDF?  Due to my physical condition I find reading printed books increasingly difficult, so I would very much prefer an electronic copy.
I only see the hardcopy, but you could alway email Abbot David, mention your situation, and ask if you could buy a PDF.

His contact info is on the monastery's website, here: http://olwtn.org/contact-us
 

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 14, 2017
Messages
5,793
Reaction score
8
Points
0
Location
Alphaville Zone Sud
platypus said:
Alpha60 said:
My main question - are these books available as an eBook or PDF?  Due to my physical condition I find reading printed books increasingly difficult, so I would very much prefer an electronic copy.
I only see the hardcopy, but you could alway email Abbot David, mention your situation, and ask if you could buy a PDF.

His contact info is on the monastery's website, here: http://olwtn.org/contact-us
Thanks!  I sent him a message.  I also have a friend in the Knoxville area who I believe knows him personally.
 

platypus

High Elder
Joined
Apr 20, 2018
Messages
713
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Mine came in last night.

I like:
- A lot of the prayers rhyme, and are pleasant to hear.
For example:
Let the round world with songs rejoice;
Let heaven return the joyful voice;
All mindful of the Apostles fame,
Let heaven and earth their praise proclaim... etc.

- It involves a great deal of scripture reading and psalm singing, and isn't exactly the same every time. It would be hard to go back to the Jordanville or something similar after experiencing a prayer rule like this.

- Although the instructions made it seem complicated, the services are pretty doable once you get started. At least Matins was.

My two disappointments were:
- Realizing the Western Rite uses a different calendar than the Eastern rite- I can't just comfortably work the divine office into the eastern rite calendar of fasts and feasts. Then again, I fly to church once or twice a year, so I could just switch to western rite without much of a disruption...

- It seems learning to chant the psalms will take more than the instructions in the book. I'll have to find someone who knows what they're doing and seek help.

Mor Ephrem said:
So is this book more Roman or Anglican or what?  Pardon my ignorance, just trying to get it straight in my own mind, might buy.
The book identifies certain elements as Roman Use or Sarum Use. It's not the same as new RC divine office -different names for the services and different psalms and prayers at different times- although I don't have one of the older SSPX-type breviaries for comparison.
 
Top