• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Non-Greeks in the Greek Church?

Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
N/A
Hello all. I am looking into Orthodoxy, and have been for a year or so. I attended an Orthodox mission, but it is a very small church, and I prefer large churches. The Greek Orthodox Church near me is fairly large, and I wouldn't mind visiting maybe this Sunday or the next. Can a non-Greek attend a Greek church and feel welcome?

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
I've attended a GOAA parish for a few years. :) You should be all right.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
^Agreed.  Mine was welcoming, but sometimes they get into doing what the culture of Greece does, such as Greek foods or saying some lines of the Liturgy in Greek.

truthseeker32

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOA-Denver
I like my Greek parish better than the convert-dominated parish I initially attended.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
serb1389 said:
There's only one way to find out! 

Some Greek churches are very welcoming, others are not so welcoming.  It's really a local flavor profile.
Fixed it.  Why we pick on the Greeks on this board so much is beyond me.

ComingofAge

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch
An acquaintance of mine (non-Greek) said that he was attending a Greek church for awhile and felt a bit left out, but then again I've also heard that they are very welcoming. It just depends. But like samandrius said, that could be any church. I say go check it out. There is no harm and giving it a try. I knew absolutely nothing about Orthodoxy when I started attending my parish, but I just followed what everyone else was doing and eventually found my way. Everyone was extremely nice and welcoming as well. In fact, they were more welcoming than any other church I have ever attended in my life. So who knows, you may find it to be a very warm and loving environment (which it should be). The hardest part is going for the first time, but after that it gets easier and easier as you learn more and more.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
my heart belongs to Patriarch Pavle
I don't know the condition in your country but as far as I knew Greek Orthodox church is not only for Greek and also ROC not only for Russians or even Serbian Orthodox church not only for Serbs.
I attend GOC but I'm not Greek.
If I were you I prefer small parish than big church. :)

Alkis

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Constantinople
Of course you are welcome.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
LinkedDestroyer said:
Can a non-Greek attend a Greek church and feel welcome?
Yes, if you want to.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
Gamliel said:
^Agreed.  Mine was welcoming, but sometimes they get into doing what the culture of Greece does, such as Greek foods or saying some lines of the Liturgy in Greek.
Well, when I visited the Greek Church last Sunday, there was quite a bit of Greek including readings in both Greek and English, though the Our Father was in English, Greek, Russian (the priest asked for Russian, but it could have been Old Slavonic) and Arabic.

No way to find out unless you visit though!

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
LinkedDestroyer said:
Hello all. I am looking into Orthodoxy, and have been for a year or so. I attended an Orthodox mission, but it is a very small church, and I prefer large churches. The Greek Orthodox Church near me is fairly large, and I wouldn't mind visiting maybe this Sunday or the next. Can a non-Greek attend a Greek church and feel welcome?
Russian Orthodox mission? Antiochian? What is your own ethnic background, that the mission seemed till now more of a home for you?

Certainly there is no Orthodox rule that ethnics worship within ethnicities. A name like "Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America" is more of historical interest than anything. (I hear one has not got to be Scot to attend Presbyterian services, either.)

Onesimus

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOA
I'm a  corn fed German, and I've found a home in a Greek Church.  It is wonderful!  I didn't really have any issues with being non-Greek until later on, and those mostly self-induced.    My suggestion is to call ahead to the priest and meet him for a tour of the church beforehand.  This way you have - and are - a familiar face to him when you get there, and you can ask him to connect you with someone during coffee hour.  Having a kind person or family to introduce you to the Church is always good, and the priest can make that kind of connection if he gets to know a little about you beforehand.

I see you are in Fayetteville, NC.    Are you military? 

Paisius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Depends on the mood
You'll be fine in the Greek parish. The first Orthodox church I ever visited was the local Greek parish and they couldn't have been more welcoming. In fact that first visit is a lot of the reason I'm Orthodox today. A nice lady saw me walking across the parking lot towards the church. When she didn't recognize me as a parishioner she invited me to sit with her family. Afterwards at coffee hour she introduced me to the parish council president and then it was off to the races. It was as much welcoming as you could ever ask for. Honestly it was almost too much. It's pretty large parish but they don't get visitors very often. When I showed up they were very eager to show off their parish and the community. It was a wonderful first visit and I still visit that parish from time to time and I'm warming greeted every time.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
LinkedDestroyer said:
Yes, but it is not a guarantee. But then there never is.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
BTW, when I visited US, I felt "more" home at Greek parishes than in most Polish ones ;) Despite not having even a promile of Greek blood/ancestry ;)

Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
N/A
Thanks for all the replies! And sorry for being AFK for so long lol.

The Mission Parish is under the OCA umbrella, and has many Eastern Europeans as parishioners. I have been attending Catholic Mass since I originally posted this, but I plan to still become Orthodox in the future (and visit the Greek parish in the near future).

I am not military actually. My family has been here for 3 or so generations :)