• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, 69, has died

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
My face is still like.  :eek:

!!! Vaclav Havel and Kim Jong Il this weekend!

!!!

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
http://news.yahoo.com/north-korean-leader-kim-jong-il-69-died-030848603.html

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Kim Jong Il, North Korea's mercurial and enigmatic leader whose iron rule and nuclear ambitions for his isolated communist nation dominated world security fears for more than a decade, has died. He was 69.

Kim's death was announced Monday by the state television from the North Korean capital, Pyongyang.
So, I guess he's joined his father, the "eternal" president of Korea.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Ee gads!  I just found out that the dear leader came from a Christian family (Presybterian).

Reaction score
Ortho_cat said:
I'll bet this guy's ready to walk in daddy's footsteps...

Single-handedly unhinging my theory that the Koreans are a group of rather good-looking people.

PS: Lord, have mercy on the older Kim.

Hiwot

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Its a fascinating irony that Communism that is so anti monarchy in theory, time and again paves way to these imperials who rule until they die and then are succeeded by their children or relatives who will also do the same.

Lord have mercy on his soul!

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I hope and pray that this means my friends in S. Korea won't be hearing any more of the fairly regular N. Korean threats involving bombing Seoul into oblivion.

John Ward

Reaction score
I'm in South Korea right now and we saw this today on the news. A lot of people were glued to T.V.'s down here. Even in the taxis, the drivers are busy watching/listening to this as they drive.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Shine on, you crazy diamond. You kinda have to respect a guy that's like a 4 foot tall crazy nerd with coke bottle glasses that still managed to spit in the face of a superpower and get away with it.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
"Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men.  For though the world has stood up and stopped the [fatherless person], the [female dog] that bore him is in heat again."

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Shine on, you crazy diamond. You kinda have to respect a guy that's like a 4 foot tall crazy nerd with coke bottle glasses that still managed to spit in the face of a superpower and get away with it.
This.  On the other hand, it is hard to respect the suffering his people endured because of him.

Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi!

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
wonder what the son is going to do? :-X

Vladik

High Elder
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Vaclav Havel
Never heard of him. It turned up via Google, he was an author of the "Humanitarian bombing" meme.

Vaclav Havel: "I believe that during intervention of NATO in Kosovo there is an element nobody can question: the air attacks, the bombs, are not caused by a material interest. Their character is exclusively humanitarian: What is at stake here are the principles, human rights which are accorded priority that surpasses even state sovereignty. This makes attacking the Yugoslav Federation legitimate, even without the United Nations mandate" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanitarian_bombing

What a hypocrisy!

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Hiwot said:
Its a fascinating irony that Communism that is so anti monarchy in theory, time and again paves way to these imperials who rule until they die and then are succeeded by their children or relatives who will also do the same.

Come on. Communism has never been about equality for the masses or sharing of power. Communism has always benefited the few or the one over the many while paying mere lip service to the idea of true equality.  A more technocratic system  than this one cannot devise.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Hiwot said:

Come on. Communism has never been about equality for the masses or sharing of power. Communism has always benefited the few or the one over the many while paying mere lip service to the idea of true equality.  A more technocratic system  than this one cannot devise.
In theory, you are wrong.  I think in the early days of the Soviet Union the theory may have been possible.  Maybe.  In practice though, you are correct.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
^Everything works in theory.  In the real world, we expect results.  Hence, why communism should never be tried.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Hiwot said:

Come on. Communism has never been about equality for the masses or sharing of power. Communism has always benefited the few or the one over the many while paying mere lip service to the idea of true equality.  A more technocratic system  than this one cannot devise.
Communism has benefitted the most-up to a certain moment, at least, in all countries it has been tried. It had the support of the masses as most of these people were crassly poor under the various capitalist regimes before. I will never stop saying: I come from a  very poor family, as it was the rule there. People like mine only got a chance because Communism ended their multifarious  disenfranchisement.
I'm also sure most muzhiks couldn't have given a damn about the holy tsar etc. these are all reactionary, petty bourgeois phantasies.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
scamandrius said:
Hiwot said:

Come on. Communism has never been about equality for the masses or sharing of power. Communism has always benefited the few or the one over the many while paying mere lip service to the idea of true equality.  A more technocratic system  than this one cannot devise.
Communism has benefitted the most-up to a certain moment, at least, in all countries it has been tried.
Yeah, those masses that the Danube Canal benefitted.  And the Stalinist Purges.  And the Cultural Revolution.  And the whole freakin' Kim dynasty...and....and....

augustin717 said:
It had the support of the masses as most of these people were crassly poor under the various capitalist regimes before.
The only place where communists took power by the masses was in Spain, Czechoslovakia and Chile.

Odd how the crassly poor in the capitalist regimes surpassed the lifestyles of all but the highest party members in the commie world.

augustin717 said:
I will never stop saying: I come from a  very poor family, as it was the rule there. People like mine only got a chance because Communism ended their multifarious  disenfranchisement.

The Genius of the Danube, the only world leader to envy North Korea and emulate its "Dear Leader."

augustin717 said:
I'm also sure most muzhiks couldn't have given a damn about the holy tsar etc. these are all reactionary, petty bourgeois phantasies.
Stalin cured them of all their communist phantasies.

Just because it doesn't fit your world, doesn't mean the muzhiks didn't revere their czar.

You're just in the dark, even if you are in that dot of artifical light in Pyongpang with Kim Il Sun:

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
read denikin and kolceac diaries and you'll see how they repeatedly say that they do not have the support of the peasantry, while the reds got it.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
read denikin and kolceac diaries and you'll see how they repeatedly say that they do not have the support of the peasantry, while the reds got it.
no, the peasantry got it