• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Notes on Arab Orthodoxy: Does Constantinople reject the "Council of Crete"?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
His Holiness the Ecumenical Patriarch never misses an occasion to mention the "great accomplishment" that was achieved during his tenure, the holding of the "Council of Crete", which dissipate years of joint Orthodox work and cooperation towards holding a Great Council of the Orthodox Church. But a little more than two years after the holding of this council, even as the literature coming out of the Ecumenical Patriarchate and its Holy Synod doesn't stop talking about "the importance of this council", it escapes them that the importance of any council lies in the Church's subsequent reception of its decisions. Here it is noteworthy that the first one to reject the decisions of the "Council of Crete" in practice is the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, which took the decision to permit the marriage of priests who have been widowed or abandoned by their wives," in blatant contradiction of the decision about "the Sacrament of Marriage and its Impediments" issued by that council, which stipulates that "it is not permitted to hold a marriage after priesthood."
http://araborthodoxy.blogspot.com/2018/12/jad-ganem-does-constantinople-reject.html

I have shortened the qutation, since posting the whole article is against the rules.
Dominika, GM

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Well, that's fun.

BTW, Samn!, thanks for what you do with Notes. I've found it enlightening for years.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Well, presumably all the churches who signed on to the documents did.

ICXCNIKA

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Well, presumably all the churches who signed on to the documents did.
What if they had bishops that were not present? Wouldn't the council have to be accepted synodically for the Local Church?

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I would have to read the conciliar documents to get an idea or opinion.

Samn!

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Agabus said:
BTW, Samn!, thanks for what you do with Notes. I've found it enlightening for years.
Thanks, I'm happy to hear that.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ICXCNIKA said:
Has anyone accepted the council?
The question I have is, did the council actually promulgate anything to accept?  As far as I can tell, its output was chiefly a mass of meaningless or axiomatic platitudes.  The one accomplishment of the council which was legitimate and beautiful however were the Divine Liturgies with Patriarchs from most of the autocephalous churches in attendance.  That was almost worth the cost of admission, but I complete sympathize with Bulgaria for basically not going on the basis of financial prudence (and the other absentees had equally valid reasons, and of course the OCA was not even invited).

Samn!

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
ICXCNIKA said:
Has anyone accepted the council?
The question I have is, did the council actually promulgate anything to accept?
The two topics raised in the original post-- marriage and autonomy-- do have actionable content. Which is why it's ironic that the EP seems to have gone out of its way to contradict them.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
WPM said:
I would have to read the conciliar documents to get an idea or opinion.
Heresy. You are to have an opinion on everything no matter you know the subject or not.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
The people who attended certainly seem to have accepted it.

But nobody likes them, so they don't count.