• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Nothing has made me laugh more than this image macro which is circulating around certain communities.

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Technically Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
But unknown at this time
Must be over my head.
It speaks to a certain kind of young male individual who inquires into Orthodoxy - the kind that really likes Father Seraphim Rose, that piddles and paddles between various denominations and various fundamentalist theological positions, all the while claiming to be a "superintellectual" - they are the kind who try to fit the totality of religion into a neat little intellectual exercise (something ultimately kind of futile).

The kind who would turn into Jude Law's performance if they were ever given ecclesial authority.

I think what's so funny about this image is Christopher Hitchens, Jesus, and Jordan Peterson all in heaven kind of facepalming. There's just something so funny about three "Saintly" diametrically opposed philosophers looking down on a person in agreement.

Last edited:

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Senior Patriarchate
Must be over my head.
It's probably a good thing if it goes over your head. You've haven't spent too much time on internet, 4chan, reddit or whatnot.

Half of it goes over my head too but it's so neckbeard goes to Orthodoxy that it causes much lulz.

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Senior Patriarchate
Can't edit anymore but @Eamonomae where did you find it? Is there some kind of alt-right/qanon goes to Orthodoxy scene somewhere?

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
It speaks to a certain kind of young male individual who inquires into Orthodoxy - the kind that really likes Father Seraphim Rose, that piddles and paddles between various denominations and various fundamentalist theological positions, all the while claiming to be a "superintellectual" - they are the kind who try to fit the totality of religion into a neat little intellectual exercise (something ultimately kind of futile).

The kind who would turn into Jude Law's performance if they were ever given ecclesial authority.

I think what's so funny about this image is Christopher Hitchens, Jesus, and Jordan Peterson all in heaven kind of facepalming. There's just something so funny about three "Saintly" diametrically opposed philosophers looking down on a person in agreement.
I'm (^obviously) a Fr. Seraphim Rose fan, but his work was not really a major factor in my conversion. Funny enough, he would've been absolutely opposed to any sort of so-called "super-intellectualism" and he often criticized what he called "super-correctness". I wonder if these young superdox are even aware of that? 😁