• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Numerous churches recently burned and/or vandalized in Canada

Christos3

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
This thread was split from Christian News. The original thread can be found here.
--Ainnir

The terrorists have vandalized and/or burned 45 churches. Interesting article. My worry is evil ideas are like a cancer and can metastasize around the world. It's only a matter of time before this begins to happen here.
https://www.thecountersignal.com/news/45-churches-attacked

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK

Saxon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
UOCC
These gravesites weren't "discovered", they've been known about all along, and the markers are gone because Indigenous communities tend to use wooden crosses which decay. One First Nations band actually had to clarify that one site was used for a burial just last month.

Now, most of the churches burned are First Nations churches serving First Nations Catholic with vital community services. The ones off-reserve were largely historical, and then the vandalism branched out to at least on Ukrainian Catholic Church and several Protestant ones.

Personally, I'm grateful for Tucker Carlson calling this out, as with the exception of our Conservative Party, the dominant left blocs of the Liberal and NDP parties were responding by either ignoring it or tacitly justifying it or rationalizing it. That international commentators had to shift the narrative when the powers-that-be here wouldn't is disgraceful.

Make no mistake about what this is even if you're viewing it through white guilt/progressive lenses: this is domestic terrorism.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Lord, have mercy.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Remember, it's all about Indian graves. Nothing to see here.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
It's inexcusable whether they're all related or not, no matter what the motivation.

Christos3

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
So sad. I just read about the Anti-Christian communists destroying the Coptic Orthodox church. I pray they have insurance so they can rebuild.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
This thread has been moved to Religious Topics.
--Ainnir

Last edited:

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Lord, have mercy.

Avdima

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Seeking
Jurisdiction
Caliphate of The Overthere...
The church demonstrates how strongly they disbelieve their own BS over these dead kids. If they thought Jesus was real, they'd be terrified the negligent deaths and continued coverup up would send them to hell. But they know Jesus is just some bs to make cash off the rubes, so they don't blink an eye at mass child death. Nothing disproves religion more than the behavior of religious leaders.
Hard to disagree with that quote.

The feelings and sentiment of those who are very much against the burning of places of worship but very much believe the Church is evil is alive and well and growing.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Lord, have mercy.

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
xariskai, quoting private communications and publicly criticizing moderation are both against the forum rules. You have received 100 points. If you wish to appeal, please do so via PM. Thanks. --Ainnir
Your thread Numerous churches recently burned and/or vandalized in Canada was moved to a different forum. Reason: I don't see how this discussion can remain within the confines of Christian News, I'm sorry. Pray it doesn't get kicked to Politics.
The official note in OCnet;s Christian News section as to why topics get moved elsewhere is when "sides form" "news" is converging more toward debate:

[quotet]
...the Christian News Forum is, per Forum rules, not a place for debate or polemics. Discussion is permitted, but once 'sides' begin to form, we enter into the realm of debate.

If you follow enough of these threads, one can see that posters will often unintentionally drift gradually from discussion to debate. It frequently is unintentional, and slowly develops over a number of posts
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong -I'm not complaining that the post was moved or at all interested in the least "challenging" the rules or moderators because:
(A) forum policy is for the admins or moderators to determine, and
(B) I think the principle is "understandable" -albeit only in the sense of something quaint or antiquated.

Why antiquoted? Once upon a time "neutrality" was regarded as possible and desirable as a standard in "news" and "journalism"; it is rare to find this seriously held in academia or the news these days. Little if anything remains of news in 2021 that is not partisan; a great deal of "news" today takes more or less the shape of a hammer. Whether we like it or not "neutral" news isn't really a thing any longer,.

My first thought on seeing this was to wonder if burning churches in Canada and the USA as an apparently rising phenomenon that might even be coming closer to your backyard (wherever you happen to be) wasn't fit for a news section because folk might argue about it from different perspectives whether it would be any different if the "news" of the day involved something like murder of priests as a rising phenomenon.

Please understand I have absolutely zero intention of complaining or debating forum policy in the least. But I will say one thing; if you're looking for religious news that Christians might ought to be personally concerned about in the near future if they care about their own churches be sure to check something other than the "news" section at OC.net

Last edited:

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Technically Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
But unknown at this time
Unless a person, to quote the Holy Lobster Man, is “ideologically possessed”, I don’t see how any normal person can see the mass burnings and vandalism of holy spaces as a morally acceptable action.

If we are at a point where mass burnings of buildings are normalized as morally acceptable, civilization isn’t going to last. We are at a critical point now if these sort of things continue to be normalized; expect a civil war if “protests” of this magnitude continue.

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
But unknown at this time
For the longest time, I thought that the death penalty was way too unnecessary given how society progressed (ala Evangelium Vitae). These events make me reconsider that. I questioned if God was just when Moses slaughtered the Israelites for worshipping the golden calf - I question that less now.

Sounds extreme, but I am so utterly shocked and baffled how anyone can say with a straight face “burning down Church buildings via riots is a morally great thing.” I didn’t realize the human conscience was capable of being mutilated at that level; I struggle to perceive the image and likeness of God in such people.

Last edited:

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
But unknown at this time
As fiction goes, it needs better writing.
Does the Church need to be held responsible for their negligence? Sure,

Not at the hands of self-appointed political terrorists who randomly burn down buildings.

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
If as the documentary below suggests the media has filled in the blanks to make it appear things were VASTLY more sinister and unspeakably evil than was actually the case without minimally adequate evidence much of the reporting would seem akin to "crying fire in a crowded theatre" to an extent which -it seems to me- is criminal and should be prosecuted. If correct, the churches, I think, should absolutely sue the media.

"...the legacy media have drummed up a tremendous media narrative stating that Canada committed genocide -- and that these graves prove it. They’ve raised the temperature so high that extremists are burning down churches, and mainstream commentators are cheering them on. But is that actually true? Are these graves evidence of genocide?"
"Churches burned on Canada Day long weekend, and the media is partially to blame."

"These are not mass graves. Several media outlets, both in Canada and international outlets like the BBC, Al Jazeera, the New York Times and the Washington Post have recklessly and erroneously labeled these findings as mass graves... This is incredibly irresponsible. All three chiefs themselves have explicitly stated these are not mass graves..." -ibid

"Many children who died at these schools died of natural causes. According to the Truth and Reconciliation Committee report in 2015, the number one cause of death was Tuberculosis... -ibid

"It's possible these weren't even unmarked graves... wooden crosses that originally marked the gravesites had been burned or deteriorated over the years... what we are more likely talking about is abandoned graves at an existing cemetery. where people of different backgrounds — not just children from residential schools — were buried. What an amazing leap to go from an uncared for community cemetery to mass graves, mass murder and genocide."

"Genocide requires intent. It requires a concerted and systematic effort to conduct mass murder and eliminate an entire race of people. Canada’s residential schools, however misguided, had the intent of educating children, assimilating them into the broader Canadian population, and ultimately lifting them out of poverty. The policy was wrong, clearly. It was flawed and much harm resulted. But there are a few orders of magnitude that separate the misguided intent of Catholic priests, nuns and Canadian government officials versus those of Nazi firing squads and gas chambers." -ibid

Last edited: