• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

OC.net needs better emojis

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Just saying.  8)

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Moscow Patriarchate
Hmmm
I agree  :D

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I like that they're small and less cartoonish. :) The angel one looks strange to me though.  :angel: I like a 'questioning' emoticon with actual question marks, though the eyebrow thing is cool as well ???

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Not that we have now is bad.  We just need more variety and maybe some animated.  ;D

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I agree.  ;D

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
For some reason, the emoji buttons don't work for me. Actually, neither do any of buttons near the emojis. I've got to write all my emojis and do my own formatting.

David may have experienced this when he wrote Psalm 87. ;)

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
RaphaCam said:
Just use Unicode, it's unlimited! 👽👳‍♂️🐒
You Brazilian witch.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
This will likely happen with the planned software upgrade.  I might be able to do something in the interim, so if Fr. George and Mr. Hudson and the moderators approve, it might be possible to do this before the software upgrade.  I will look into this when I come up for air (right now we have bigger fish to fry technically speaking).  By the way, a graphics designer who knows how to write a .css for a website would be an extremely welcome addition to the tech team; I used to be a graphics designer and I can write a CSS, but I am rusty when it comes to design and also busier with other things...  good design should not simply be an afterthought.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Opus118 said:
Satan works in subtle ways. Emojis should be banned.
;) :angel: :-*

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Opus118 said:
Satan works in subtle ways. Emojis should be banned.
Is this really your opinion?  Because if so, I am willing to consider it.  Otherwise there will be an increase in emojis, albeit limited to emojis compatible with OCNet’s theology. 

Emoji might be the wrong word, too, in that I doubt we will implement the full specification of emojis, as there are some which are objectionable and others which add no context.  For example, I love monorails, but for the life of me I can’t understand the use of the emoji representing the Wuppertal Schwebebahn.  And others are contrary to OCNet moral positions.

Rather, I anticipate we would implement an enlarged, carefully curated set of emoticons, old fashioned emojis as opposed to the new style Japanese emoji scheme, emoticons that are consistent with OCNet morality.  But if we do allow emojis, we are still likely to suppress any which our users might find offensive.

Emoji policy I should stress will not be my decision; this issue will be one for the mods, Fr. George and Mr. Hudson to decide, and I will seek to implement something compatible with their wishes, so anyone who has concerns about emojis should probably PM Fr. George and explain their concerns, so an informed decision can be made.  But if anyone in this thread has a specific concern they want to share, via a PM to me if they would like, I am happy to pass this along, as we are moving closer to a substantial software upgrade.

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Typical Orthodox Christians, using pictures when all you need is the word. Let us anathemize these graven images  ;)

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Salve Regina
Jurisdiction
La Virgin de Cobre
The true faith demands that we maintain the tradition of 2002 emoticons, thank you. "Emojis" is not the faith of tradition.