• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

OC of Finland elects new bishop

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
On 29 November 2018 assistant bishop(?) of Joensuu Arseni was elected as the new Metropolitan of Kuopio and Karelia by those gathered at Valamo Monastery for this year's church conference.

Many years! Monia vuosia!

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Any short bio? Or comment? :)

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Dominika said:
I guess the result was to be expected as has he has been an auxiliary bishop of Joensuu for several years before this election. Doubt that there would be any bio in English but there's always Google Translate. The result is a bit amusing as Google is not that good with Finnish but I guess one can check the quick facts from Ortodoksi.net.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Alpo said:
Dominika said:
I guess the result was to be expected as has he has been an auxiliary bishop of Joensuu for several years before this election. Doubt that there would be any bio in English but there's always Google Translate. The result is a bit amusing as Google is not that good with Finnish but I guess one can check the quick facts from Ortodoksi.net.
Thanks! :)

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
FinnJames said:
On 29 November 2018 assistant bishop(?) of Joensuu Arseni was elected as the new Metropolitan of Kuopio and Karelia by those gathered at Valamo Monastery for this year's church conference.

Many years! Monia vuosia!
Many years!

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
Dominika said:
None of these had been updated when I looked, but here's a link to the Russian Wiki page, which at least has a picture. There's a longer Wiki article in Finnish and very short ones in Polish and Estonian that you can access through the links on the left-hand side of the Wiki page. https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%90%D1%80%D1%81%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B9_(%D0%A5%D0%B5%D0%B9%D0%BA%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B5%D0%BD)

As for comment, Arseni was acting bishop of Oulu Diocese for a while. But I only got to meet him once so don't really know him other than to say that he performed liturgical services competently. He has also been an unsuccessful candidate for the Oulu Diocese after looking after it, so it's nice that he was elected to the Kuopio post. And I suspect that those at Valamo Monastery are happy since one of the other candidates is their head.