• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

OCNetters and the Divine Liturgy

How often do you, the reasonably active OCNet contributor, participate in the Divine Liturgy at an O

• Only on major feasts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only during fasts

• Once or twice a year

• Only on Sundays or feasts where they give you something free

• Only for special events (e.g., baptisms, weddings, funerals)

• Not on Sunday, but on some other day of the week

• I have never been to a Divine Liturgy

• What's a Divine Liturgy?

• Total voters

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Please post in this thread to indicate which option you chose and, if necessary, explain the reason for your choice. 

Though the question refers to "reasonably active OCNet contributors", I encourage those who post less frequently and even lurkers who want to vote to do so as well. 

By "participate", I have in mind mainly attendance, and not receiving sacraments, serving, chanting or singing in a choir, etc., so this poll is open to both Orthodox and non-Orthodox. 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
I selected "more than once a week", but "every Sunday and major feast" is also true for me. 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Every Sunday and major feast.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
We make it en famille 1-2 Sundays a month, but I usually manage weekday DLs on feast days (usually 2-3 a month) by myself.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
I selected "every other Sunday," but that's not quite right.

It's more "every Sunday I'm not working."

I live too far from the parish to attend major feasts that don't fall on weekends. The last few years I've taken time off work for the back end of Holy Week.

benjohn146

Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.gocbelleville.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Metropolis of Toronto
I go every sundays. Would love to go on feasts that are during the week days but my supervisors want me at work :'( .

However, i request to move my western easter holidays to the date on which Pascha occurs. They have been more than gentleman with that.  :)

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Mor Ephrem said:
Agabus said:
I selected...but that's not quite right.
If anyone has suggestions for options that might make the poll more accurate, please let me know.
"I attend when I can, which sometimes means week-to-week and sometimes month-to-month, but I try to make it as often as possible."

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
I think I average about  2. 75 times a month all things considered. In the end my unusual work schedule makes me attend slightly less than I could...laziness and being part of a parish I'm less familiar with though almost guarantees I'll never go every week and that average even if work permitted , would probably never be much more than 3 times per month.

I picked every other Sunday, that seems closest to what I do, though I attend a few non Sunday services, usually the really major feasts, throughout the year.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
When I can.  A newborn oftentimes makes attendnce difficult.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
:)^I would like to see you at a Liturgy during the ".75" time.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
I marked "Every Sunday," although sickness sometimes keeps me away.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
I love this one... " Only on Sundays or feasts where they give you something free" My dad, an Orthodox priest for decades, had a running joke about 'give away' Sundays....he said it was like the ball park on bat day..... For too many he would say, the chance at salvation was not enough......

eddybear

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Sourozh
I voted every other Sunday, which is probably what it averages out at. I'd like to go more, but work during week, caring for a disabled wife and my own health issues makes it difficult.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
I try to go every Sunday, but it might come out to every other Sunday. Maybe in between.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I go every Sunday. I don't get the chance to go beyond that.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
eddybear said:
I voted every other Sunday, which is probably what it averages out at. I'd like to go more, but work during week, caring for a disabled wife and my own health issues makes it difficult.
I selected that as well although in my case it is my mother recovering from neuropathy and cancer surgery (which went miraculously well).  We also tend to visit monasteries and spend a few days there and attend all liturgies befire returning home.  Where we live now, we are 30 minites from one monastery, each way, and 45 minutes from a parish, each way; one criteria whenwe purchase a new house once the inhieritance issue is finally settled will be distance from an Orthodox parish.  When we were ten minutes, round trip, away from St. Michael's Coptic Church, we went every Sunday.  Also for a stretch we went every Sunday to St. Ephrems despite the drive.

One location I very closely considered for us to move to I rejected outright because there are no Orthodox churches within two hours of the location; my dream is to live right next door to a church that has frequent services, so there will never be a case where, while at home, I cannot attend.

When I miss the liturgy, I read for an equivalent length of time the relevant parta of the prayer books so as to follow along.

I also tend to try to attend the liturgy over the office, but on some occasions I will make it to Vespers but not Sunday liturgy, which seems backwards, alas.  My goal, and I do keep track of this, is to log at least 52 liturgical hours every year, which is equivalent to one hour every Sunday, the attendance I would have obseeved as a Protestant going to all Sunday services, and since becoming Orthodox I have achieved this on average.  A liturgical hour is an 60 minute timespan spent in a parish or monastic church, in the church proper, at prayer, during a scheduled service, which may be the divine liturgy, unction, vespers, matins, compline, or a special service, or aggregated between multiple parishes.  So, recently at a monastery I attended liturgy was 90 minutes, matins, 45 minutes, vespers, one hour, and compline, about 30 minutes, which works out to 3.75 liturgical hours for that one weekday.  Also if I am late, I deduct that. 

This gives me a measuring stick to try to keep my attendance up despite being in the midst of some situations which have interfered with it.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
wgw said:
eddybear said:
I selected that as well although in my case it is my mother recovering from neuropathy and cancer surgery (which went miraculously well).  We also tend to visit monasteries and spend a few days there and attend all liturgies befire returning home.  Where we live now, we are 30 minites from one monastery, each way, and 45 minutes from a parish, each way; one criteria whenwe purchase a new house once the inhieritance issue is finally settled will be distance from an Orthodox parish.  When we were ten minutes, round trip, away from St. Michael's Coptic Church, we went every Sunday.  Also for a stretch we went every Sunday to St. Ephrems despite the drive.

One location I very closely considered for us to move to I rejected outright because there are no Orthodox churches within two hours of the location; my dream is to live right next door to a church that has frequent services, so there will never be a case where, while at home, I cannot attend.

When I miss the liturgy, I read for an equivalent length of time the relevant parta of the prayer books so as to follow along.

I also tend to try to attend the liturgy over the office, but on some occasions I will make it to Vespers but not Sunday liturgy, which seems backwards, alas.  My goal, and I do keep track of this, is to log at least 52 liturgical hours every year, which is equivalent to one hour every Sunday, the attendance I would have obseeved as a Protestant going to all Sunday services, and since becoming Orthodox I have achieved this on average.  A liturgical hour is an 60 minute timespan spent in a parish or monastic church, in the church proper, at prayer, during a scheduled service, which may be the divine liturgy, unction, vespers, matins, compline, or a special service, or aggregated between multiple parishes.  So, recently at a monastery I attended liturgy was 90 minutes, matins, 45 minutes, vespers, one hour, and compline, about 30 minutes, which works out to 3.75 liturgical hours for that one weekday.  Also if I am late, I deduct that. 

This gives me a measuring stick to try to keep my attendance up despite being in the midst of some situations which have interfered with it.
wgw, do you think at times that you reveal too much of yourself online?

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
I'm retired and live four blocks from the cathedral, so there's no excuse for missing liturgy other than when I'm out of town.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Gamliel said:
Forgive me, I don't get the reference.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Every Sunday and major feasts, but I also am a Servants for Friday night college and grad meetings, and I teach some Saturday servant prep/catechism classes occasionally.  And I attend Saturday vespers sometimes, soooo "more than once per week" I suppose

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
scamandrius said:
Gamliel said:
Forgive me, I don't get the reference.
I was writing to William T.  I did not realize that you posted something while I was typing  -- Sorry.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
"More than once a week" - it means vigils and Liturgies of "every Sunday and major feast" plus all Lenten services, and also some minor feasts and Saturdays for death etc.

lovesupreme

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Whenever it's offered at my parish. I'm single and blessed with flexible work hours.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
I've gone whenever I'm off on Sunday, which unfortunately has been pretty sporadic the last year or two. But I am about to start a new job where I will be off every weekend.

But I still chose one of the comedy answers on the poll because I like to troll Mor's threads.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
I answered 'Every Sunday' simply since the question was specific to DL.  I do try for major feasts but weekday ones are rough.

I do also attend Vespers etc.....

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
I answered "As often as it is scheduled at my place of worship." ....although I do miss some due to work, etc.

A typical week - Sunday Liturgy, Saturday morning matins, Saturday evening Vespers.

However, I also try to schedule vacation days (or half days) on most major Feast Days....and I took 3 days off to accommodate all the services during Holy Week.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
podkarpatska said:
I love this one... " Only on Sundays or feasts where they give you something free" My dad, an Orthodox priest for decades, had a running joke about 'give away' Sundays....he said it was like the ball park on bat day..... For too many he would say, the chance at salvation was not enough......
Same thing happens in Protestantism.  The largest attendance would be when there was something "special" (as though Our Lord's Body and Blood were not enough), like a posey for the ladies on Mothers' Day and a bluegrass band on "Rally Day"

Can't tell you how many people don't know what their church looks like without lilies or poinsettias.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
LizaSymonenko said:
I answered "As often as it is scheduled at my place of worship." ....although I do miss some due to work, etc.

A typical week - Sunday Liturgy, Saturday morning matins, Saturday evening Vespers.

However, I also try to schedule vacation days (or half days) on most major Feast Days....and I took 3 days off to accommodate all the services during Holy Week.
Just a question: how much actual vacation time do you sacrifice for attending worship in the course of a year?  Because sacrificing any I think makes you a beacon of piety.

I've spent my entire career either 1099 or Corp to Corp, ao have never had vacation time as a concept, but for those who do hold down W2 jobs, sacrificing paid or unpaid vacation time for purposes of attending worship is the very definition of a committed, living Orthodox piety.

Do you ever get to do a real "vacation" like travel, et cetera?

God bless you.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
wgw said:
LizaSymonenko said:

Just a question: how much actual vacation time do you sacrifice for attending worship in the course of a year?
I've consistently scheduled vacation days for Holy Friday and Bright Monday, but I've never thought of that as a sacrifice. It's just something I do to make sure I get the days off.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
PeterTheAleut said:
wgw said:
LizaSymonenko said:

Just a question: how much actual vacation time do you sacrifice for attending worship in the course of a year?
I've consistently scheduled vacation days for Holy Friday and Bright Monday, but I've never thought of that as a sacrifice. It's just something I do to make sure I get the days off.
Which makes the act even more pious, IMO.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
wgw said:
PeterTheAleut said:
wgw said:
LizaSymonenko said:

Which makes the act even more pious, IMO.
You're making me uncomfortable praising me for my "piety". I'm not doing anything more than what I'm asked to do.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
wgw said:
LizaSymonenko said:

Just a question: how much actual vacation time do you sacrifice for attending worship in the course of a year?  Because sacrificing any I think makes you a beacon of piety.

I've spent my entire career either 1099 or Corp to Corp, ao have never had vacation time as a concept, but for those who do hold down W2 jobs, sacrificing paid or unpaid vacation time for purposes of attending worship is the very definition of a committed, living Orthodox piety.

God bless you.
Pretty much all my vacation days go towards "Church" related events.

I take off the Feast days (1/2 days sometimes), I take 3-5 days off to teach summer church school, I take a few days to drive to the Consistory for meetings, and this year we had additional "Strategic Planning" meetings, so I took those days.  To top it all off, we have our Sobor this year (it takes place every 3 years)....add the time I took for Holy Week....and that's it.  No more vacation days.

I do have a few days from last year that rolled over to this year...but, I have another "Church" event planned for those in November, as well.

Honestly....there's nothing I find more rewarding...and nothing I'd rather spend vacation time on.

It's not piety....it's vacation.  It is what vacations are for....to re-energize, relax, refocus, etc.  Get away from the daily humdrum.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
I used to be able to attend every Sunday but nowadays I'm lucky if I can do it once a month. It's quite depressing for me, actually.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Every Sunday, although I go on most feast days as well, and Saturday Vespers.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
wgw said:
LizaSymonenko said:

God bless you.
Pretty much all my vacation days go towards "Church" related events.

I take off the Feast days (1/2 days sometimes), I take 3-5 days off to teach summer church school, I take a few days to drive to the Consistory for meetings, and this year we had additional "Strategic Planning" meetings, so I took those days.  To top it all off, we have our Sobor this year (it takes place every 3 years)....add the time I took for Holy Week....and that's it.  No more vacation days.

I do have a few days from last year that rolled over to this year...but, I have another "Church" event planned for those in November, as well.

Honestly....there's nothing I find more rewarding...and nothing I'd rather spend vacation time on.

It's not piety....it's vacation.  It is what vacations are for....to re-energize, relax, refocus, etc.  Get away from the daily humdrum.
I like your way better. I had to Church hopp for hobble together services at times I can attend around work (not usually a problem, but this Wednesday and Thursday were must attend work days this year).

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
I am blessed to have a lot of paid vacation days--24 per year--so I can take all of Holy Week and most Feasts, although in the AOA most weekday Feasts are celebrated with Vespers + DL after work hours.

As for out-of-town vacations; we always find a Divine Liturgy when traveling.

The 3rd Century Martyrs of Abilene said "we cannot live without Sunday."